Silver
    1997 Pontiac Firebird

97 Formula vs 00 Camaro SS

ok i need some input...i have a 97 formula with slp loudmouth exhaust, moroso CAI , and hypertech power programmer. he has a 00 ss with flowmaster exhaust, with Traction Control. Who do you think will win?

In yo' hood up to no good

1 of 122 Blk A4 WS6 Verts
    1999 T/A WS6 Vert A4

What transmission are in both cars? Could be a close one, might come down to driver skill.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Stock for stock he would pull you, but with your programmer and exhaust you might get him. Running with traction control probably hurts him, and he's basically stock since flowmaster is known for not flowing too well and therefore not freeing up any real horsepower. If he's an automatic he might come on you in third regardless, let us know what happens if you race.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by 97formula
    ok i need some input...i have a 97 formula with slp loudmouth exhaust, moroso CAI , and hypertech power programmer. he has a 00 ss with flowmaster exhaust, with Traction Control. Who do you think will win?
    What does having traction control have to do with anything...there's a button to turn it off I think he'll walk you up top..especially if he throws on a lid and FRA mod before you race. If he's your friend tell him to ditch the flowmaster..or get a cut-out if he has the flowmaster for the sound. Like 1 0f 122 said, depends on driver..tranny...if it's from a roll or dig. Formulas are pretty light if I remember right...but a ls1 has a lot better top-end than a lt1....get the race on video if you can

Silver
    1997 Pontiac Firebird

ya ill try top get it on video, but he uses traction control because if he turns it off he will spin, but when i was with him when he had it on it really slowed him down on take off, i will have him on take off, its just the rest i am worryed about.

Silver
    1997 Pontiac Firebird

there both a4's, his 3.23, my rear 2.83 , im thinking abotu 3.73's though?

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I don't know man, this might be a good one since he races with TC. I'm telling you though, an LS1 with 3.23s might eat you alive after 60. His traction control might be your savior, and some LT1s just run like all hell. I think '97 LT1s were severely underrated, my '97 Z only lost to one stock LS1 in the years I owned it, but the one that took me was an A4 with 3.23s. I think it's gonna be a good race ragardless, but watch out once he starts coming. . .

Silver
    1997 Pontiac Firebird

ya you are right he will pickup fast around 40-60 mph, but my few mods might set out hp equal. like on mine stock i shift out of first at 40-50, and out of 2nd at like 90-100.

NBM
    '00 Z28

If you know how to drive, you're going to win. The reason I say this is the fact that your pal doesn't know how to launch with out traction control. Sorry, but, I have an M6 an have to know how to launch. If you can't launch an auto, what the hell are you doing trying to race at all?

Silver
    1997 Pontiac Firebird

haha i know how to launch! who would you. i launch at more like 2 grand because any hight i will spin tires bad, because tires suck too.

black
    01 WS6

hmm, i think he's got u there, like they said u might have him out the hole..let us know

NBM
    '00 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 97formula
    haha i know how to launch! who would you. i launch at more like 2 grand because any hight i will spin tires bad, because tires suck too.
    Sounds like you'll do just fine. You know you're car and how to run it.

I don't understand -- "who would you." Did you mean, "how would I", meaning how would I launch? -- if that's the question, I launch from about 2 grand. It takes a little finess with the clutch though. Otherwise I'm with you, tires suck and I'll spin 'em.

Good luck with your race.

lee1rbc
    I had a A4 95Z28 (CAI,custom cat back, TB bypass, air foil, alumn drive shaft, HPP, shift kit, 3.23s, hotchkins C arms, pan hard, and KYB shocks. The best I did with that car was 13.86 at 100mph 2.09 60ft. 264 rwhp.

I would say with you having 2.73s and an A4 you wouldn't have a chance against an LS1 SS but I do remember last year watching a guy with a 2004 Cobra and the best he could run was 13.9 at 108mph. But, he was doing 108!

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Well, your friend w/ the LS1 really needs to forget about that Traction Control. I've only kept it on for slower cars to give them alil edge. I agree w/ everyone here that it'll def be a great race and get that cam ready! Thanks!

Thread Information