Thread: WS6 VS 03 Cobra

Drive it like u stole it! newguy WS6's Avatar

Black
    06' GTO

WS6 VS 03 Cobra

On the way home Christmas Eve about 2pm in the afternoon I had a Black 03 Cobra Pull up behind me on a back road. Im running about 45 or so and starts riding my butt. I keep my speed until we get to the next stop sign (Keep in mind this is a country back road (2 lane) He motions me to go... I roll off the stop sign to cross the intersection and wait for him to do the same. We both hit it at the same time.. I pull about 1 1/2 cars on him in first.. at the end of second im about 2 cars ahead.. (probally about a little shorter than 1/8 th mile stretch) by this time we are coming up on some serious curves and some roller coaster hills.. I get into third.. I didnt look at the speedo, but we were moving pretty good.. after the first set of turns I really left him.. doing a little drift action. he lets off and so do I.. Im thinking its over.. we slow back to about 45 (Speed limit) he pulls up beside me and guns it.. I pull it into second and hit it again.. my car freaking jumped like it was shot out of a cannon.. he stayed about 1 1/2 cars from from my left quarter as we came up on some curves again.. I probally should have lifted but i didnt... I go into the turn at about 75 still hammer down the car broke loose a little in the rear I peddled off the gas a got it back straight looked up in the rearview and he was waving at me like "thats enough". We came to another intersection. I stop and pull over to talk with the guy.. He pulls up and does a quick stop and waves and goes on.

I wish I could have spoken with him to see if he had anything done to his car. Sounded like he had an exhaust system.. But who knows..

I really dont consider this a "Kill" but I thought I would share.. Im sure it would have been a close race going side by side.. The curves were fun as hell. I actually got a little scared though when I hit a few of the hills I swear it felt like the car left the ground a few times. I feel like I had the advantage starting in front and all , but he could not reel me in.. or even get close enough for me to think "ok hes got me even though he could not pass me" " or at least didnt have the balls too"

Not everyday do you get to run for a short burst "drag race" then hit the turns as well.. Thought it was pretty cool.

Steve

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Nice run! Don't sweat the details, just enjoy that excitement in your day!

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

what is done to your car?
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

1981 g-Body

Great story.
    Why wouldn't you consider that a kill?

I dont want a large farva jwrandall's Avatar
    02 Camaro SS

sweet runs, what mods and what part of Charlotte?

Black
    06' GTO

Nothing major is done to my car. B&B Exhaust, Gutted cats, SLP Lid, K&N Filter, Free Mods. My car has an LS6 Block from the factory (I checked the Serial numbers on the block). The car seems to run execptionly well. I have ran it at Mooresville and Shadyside two local Tracks here to me in NC and ran pretty consistant 8.20's and 8.30's at anywhere from 85 to 89 MPH. I still figure if we had raced side by side I think it might have been closer. I have a friend who has the same car but he has a different pulley on the blower, gears exhaust etc and he can waste me by about 5 cars to 100MPH. I think the cobra I ran may have been fairly stock.. Or hell who knows maybe he couldnt drive that well.. I do have quite a bit of experience behind the wheel at the strip as well as a few local dirt tracks here when I was younger.

The reason for me saying that I realy dont call that a Kill is the fact that we did not start out side by side from a roll or a dig.. Either way he didnt reel me in, I just feel I had an unfair advantage.. starting out front etc.. I guess im old school.. If some one wants to race (well used to I would just run anyone anywhere.. getting old ..Wife kids etc) I normally like to line up side by side and either do the horn thing to start or at a stop light just to make it more even.

I see so many folks say that they raced someone and it may have turned out that the other person may not have even thought they were racing..I know that wasnt the case here.. but I think you know what I mean.

For the person wanting to know where im at.. im right outside Matthews in Indian Trail...I ususally just drive my car to work and to the strip when I can..it stays in the garage most of the time.

Steve

1981 g-Body

Quote Originally Posted by newguy WS6
    The reason for me saying that I realy dont call that a Kill is the fact that we did not start out side by side from a roll or a dig.. Either way he didnt reel me in, I just feel I had an unfair advantage.. starting out front etc.. I guess im old school.. If some one wants to race (well used to I would just run anyone anywhere.. getting old ..Wife kids etc) I normally like to line up side by side and either do the horn thing to start or at a stop light just to make it more even.
    Yea, i guess so.

Member since 2001

Pewter
    Sounds like the Cobra driver needs some more wheels time...good kill

blue
    1998 Trans Am

im the same way when it comes to playing around like that too. i like to know that the other guy had a fair chance. and also i like to know what the other guy has done to his car so i know what i beat and to know that i beat them fair and square!! great kill!!
    Last edited by Trans Am Ls6; 01-02-2006 at 04:15 PM.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

How do ya know it was a 03 and not a 01? 03's are pretty fast stock..and get a lot faster for less then $2000 in mods.

Black
    06' GTO

01= no blower
    03= Blower.. I heard it when he pulled off at the intersection. I still think the car was mostly stock save for an exhaust. I also agree with the guy above that said the guy probally could not drive well.

I have raced several of 03's at the strip. Some of them have handed me my ass. I have also beat a few of them too...Think alot depends on the driver..wheather its the street or strip.

I agree with you on modding the 01's You can spend a little cash and get some pretty big results. Good tires, N20, gears makes a pretty big punch on those cars.

Steve

Black
    2002 Trans AM WS6

how would you check to see if you have an ls6 block on your ta, just curious??

Black
    06' GTO

PM sent

cool story

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

the ls6 block is not any more powerful, it is actually a weaker block, i want to know how to find out if i have a LS6 cam

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

good ass kill in my book, cuz...wow. i can feel my heart racing after reading that!

Dreaming of an LS1 senior gomez's Avatar

Teal
    91 teg (stock,notmodding)

awesome man, if i had my TA i def wouldnt be messing w/ curves just last year two kids in z28s got killed, one was supposedly ran off a road and the other went around a corner so fast his car ended up in a tree, flattened. but uh yeah idk my school i belive is like one of the worst for stuff like that. its a shame. so many people have told me i'm going to kill myself but i mean hey you either prove em right or prove em wrong. and i sure as hell aint gonna fuck up my beautiful TA. so yea great kill tho, loved the story

Thread Information