Black
    1996 camaro Z28

SECURITY LIGHT ON.. WT* is this..??

the security light has been ON in the dash for the longest time ever... i have no clue of why does it come up.. any idea... on how to fix or what to fix???

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

im with you on that problem...the first day i saw it on i thought, "fuck, that shits never gonna go away."....still hasn't. somebody told me its a bad PCM (your car may not be reading the resistor so anyone can steal it). I'll just save for a better security system, cuz why replace when you can always upgrade?

Black
    1996 camaro Z28

so is it the resistor on the key?? or the actual computer...??
    BTW if i upgrade is there a way that i can take that light out... its kindda enoying ...

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

If it's the key it isn't supposed to start at all. Mine has flashed at me once, I'd like to know why also, but I havn't seen it since anyways

Black
    1996 camaro Z28

Mine has been on since i dont know when... i since a long time... and well the starts with no problem ... would any auto shop know about this or should i take it to an auto electric shop?? where to fix?? the dealer??

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

Two times mine came on and I could not start the car until it went off. Took about 5 minutes for it to go off. Don't know why it came on though.

Metallic Pewter
    99 Pontiac Firebird TA

If the light comes on and stays on I believe the system is then inactive. My car a month ago would not start several times. I kept trying, and finally it did. I noticed the security light came on and went off after about two minutes of driving. The next day it would not start again. This time I had it towed in to the dealer and what it turned out to be for me was the ignition switch was bad. They had to take it apart, replace the ignition switch, made me a new key and then reprogram the system. It has been fine ever since.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

i dont see the corrolation between the ignition being bad and the security light...i think me and eleve have dead PCM's...my car alarm would sound if i set off the motion sensor, but I have not tried to start it without the resistor (it would be a lot of work to try to pull that thing off the key then put it back on).

Black
    1996 camaro Z28

yeap i wouldnt want to do that job that its tiny resistor and i think it would be a hell of a job to put that thing back in there... so... is there anything that can be done to clear the light?? its just enoying.. and yes the motions sensor turn on the alarm.. its really sensible.. damn car its worse than my girl.. its takes alot more money than my gf... wt seriously my car complains about everything.. i can seem to make my Z happy..

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

heh, ive had my car for a year...so far its the alternator, brakes, hoses disconnected, bushings & links...now its the security light, sludge in the coolant/small leak, and a squeaky LCA...it NEVER ends and i have a 2000 Z.

The only way i can think of testing the PCM is to either lock-pick the ignition and see if it starts or to remove or cover up the resistor on the key to see if it reads it. tell me what the out-come is, cuz i have the exact same problem.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

if you think it could be the key go to walmart and spend $1 on a key without a resistor

Metallic Pewter
    99 Pontiac Firebird TA

Read the manual that came with the car. Everything I stated is in the manual. You don't have to take my word, just trying to help...

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Your'e right that it's inactive, the reason is up in the air though. I don't like diagnosis. . .

Black
    1996 camaro Z28

thank for all ur help guys... ill try to get the key but if something that is only going to confirm that my system is inactive huh??

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

yes sir...i already checked the CPU for any codes and security lights dont throw any, so dont bother getting your car checked for codes.

Black
    1996 camaro Z28

umm so would another alarm system do the job... or would that light stay there forever...???

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

I finally got my security light off!!! wwoooohoooo. heres some VERY helpful advice.

The security light is to tell you that there is some sort of problem with your system, but also allows your car to start if it is a mechanical malfunction. Two causes for a malfunction could be that your motion sensor isn't working or your resistor isn't being read. Someone also told me it could be a bad PCM, which is possible but sounds unlikely. In my situation, the ignition cylinder key (what turns with your key when your start up) was not working proberly in transfering the electricity through the resistor. If you go out and buy an ignition cylinder key, be sure to buy matching keys and KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I would never think of changing this part, since it is intertwined in the very confusing ignition system as well as your security system. Once the problem is fixed, the light should turn off. The only easy way I could tell you to check if your resistor isn't being read is to go and get a copy of your key without a resistor in it from anywhere. This is a cheap route, but should allow you to know if your car isn't reading the resistor. Your car WILL start with the spare without a resistor (there is also a way to start up your car without a resistor with a spare like this, ask me if u want/need to know). If it is a malfunctioning motion sensor, this should be easily diagnosed by bumping into your passenger rear fender. If your alarm sounds, your good...as far as the motion sensor working, not finding the problem.

FINALLY, I have been told that your keys programming could begin to be unsynchronized. This I believe begins to cause the key fob not work as far as it used to. To resynchronize, I've been told two ways, but am unsure of what is what.
    1) Get in your car, close all the doors, and put the key in the ON position, but do not turn it over. After about 11-13 mins the SECURITY light will flash. Let it flash, then turn it off. Turn the car back on and start it up. The light should go away (if thats the problem.)
    2) Get in your car, close all the doors, and put the key in the ON position, but do not turn it over. Hold the lock button for a minute, then shut off the car, and turn it back on.

Good luck. I'm glad the anxiety of not knowing what was wrong is gone!

black
    1999 camaro ss

i had the same problem with my car. The car at times wouldnt start up. I just went ahead and replace the ignition switch. No problem ever since.

Black
    1996 camaro Z28

Man.. ill will go ahead and do this things that u are telling me... and im rpetty sure it will be fix... thanx..

Artic White
    2002 Ws6

Same problem here. Brought to the dealer cause i ahve warranty and they put a new ignition in it and gave me a new key and no problem since.

Thread Information