Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by 2-bowties&abird View Post
    sorry man, it's not like i can hear sarcasm in writing.
    lol i could see the sarcasm just from looking at his two vehicles

Impounded

maple red metallic
    2000 firebird formula

i know i saw a v6 section on this site..so i think this thread is just fine...its a firebird too...so it doesnt necessarily belong in the v6 section.

arctic white
    97 firebird

Quote Originally Posted by the_formula View Post
    i know i saw a v6 section on this site..so i think this thread is just fine...its a firebird too...so it doesnt necessarily belong in the v6 section.
    it doesnt matter and im pretty sure he wasnt talking about my firebird he was messin around with 440....

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

sorry man, it's not like i can hear sarcasm in writing.

anyway how do you like that stroker? i was a nats ass hair away from putting one in my iroc-z i had but thought it might be more headache then what it was worth. i did alot of research on them, they have gobs of tq.
    i love it. yeah the tq from that thing is great! 383 stroker is the way to go for an iron block

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

There is nothing wrong with building up a V6. Its just different. It will never make the power of a V8 N/A, and it will never sound as good as a V8, but its got plenty of potential if you boost it.

Remember, the 3800 series in the F-body is the same basic engine used in the Buick Grand National. They are regarded as pretty much bulletproof, people have hit 550WHP on the stock bottom end in Grand Prix's and they are still going strong.

If you build one up with forged internals and turbo it, it would be both fast and reliable.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    Your an idiot...

Never heard of a Syclone I'm guessing...Same like V6 he has but has a turbo on it and a relatively strong rotating assembly from the factory. Worlds fasted production truck till the SRT10 came out...
    I didn't say it didn't have potential. Hell, my old car had a 2.5L engine and an australian guy built and twin turbod it and had over 1250 horsepower. I'm just saying its cheaper to just sell and get formula. Money wise, the ls1 just makes more sense, especially if its a dd because then you really have to make sure its safe and reliable with that turbo setup.

10's N/A

There are differences in building up a highly-potent V8...versus a 6 or 4 cylinder. Driveability & Reliability are the first ones that come to my mind!

White
    1997 Pontiac Firebird

you were talking about having the swap done professionaly, i know a guy in San Antonio who does stuff like that for a living, his website is www.hpsalvage.com, his work is very nice

Silver
    Chevy Camaro RS

smh .... it's amazing how some people think that there is only one way to get power out of a car. first of all, I own a 98 3.8 camaro so yea - i can sympathize with a guy who wants to pull the most power out of a v6, because I want to do the same thing. I couldn't even start to count how many times i've gotten the 'sell it and get an ls1' kind of comment. MAYBE I DONT WANT AN LS1 because i dont wanna have to pay for insurance and gas ... thats seems like a damn good reason to build up a 3.8. And its always fun to say that my v6 can walk most v8s.

Now .. because I believe the only modifications to a car should be for power, I think the audio upgrades were kinda dumb. I'd get the SLP cat back, only because its cheaper and its not worth throwing a true dual exhaust on a v6. turbos are a good investment, so if you can afford it, go ahead

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by my_first_camaro_1998 View Post
    smh .... it's amazing how some people think that there is only one way to get power out of a car. first of all, I own a 98 3.8 camaro so yea - i can sympathize with a guy who wants to pull the most power out of a v6, because I want to do the same thing. I couldn't even start to count how many times i've gotten the 'sell it and get an ls1' kind of comment. MAYBE I DONT WANT AN LS1 because i dont wanna have to pay for insurance and gas ... thats seems like a damn good reason to build up a 3.8. And its always fun to say that my v6 can walk most v8s.

Now .. because I believe the only modifications to a car should be for power, I think the audio upgrades were kinda dumb. I'd get the SLP cat back, only because its cheaper and its not worth throwing a true dual exhaust on a v6. turbos are a good investment, so if you can afford it, go ahead
    personally my insurance through state farm was only 55.39 a month for the ws6. i just switched to liberty mutual and it's going to be even less than that now, so in my book insurance is not that bad. as far as gas mileage, when mine was stock i know it was doing a little better than my silverado which that gets between 18-22 mpg. so for a 320hp car to get that kind of gas mileage, what more can you ask for.

the thing thats silly about modding a 3.8 is kind of the same concept of modding a 305 compared to a 350, but on a much larger scale. a 3.8 just isn't a practicle motor to mod when you can pick up an ls1 t/a or camaro for next to nothing these days.

10's N/A

By the time you mod a V6 car up to the level of, lets just say a moderately built cammed LS1 car (around 400rwhp or so) you would have said goodbye to good gas mileage anyway. And from a cost perspective, for the money it would take to make that kind of power in which would mandate some type of forced induction, you'd be better off purchasing an LS1/ECU/Trans combo and doing a cam swap - and i'd bet you would end up paying thousands less to make that kind of power that way.

But if someone was content on making big power with a six-cylinder powerplant then i'd say it's all you. Some people like to be different and there is nothing wrong with that, but I would never recommend going that route to someone as it just doesn't make sense financially.

Silver
    Chevy Camaro RS

personally my insurance through state farm was only 55.39 a month for the ws6. i just switched to liberty mutual and it's going to be even less than that now, so in my book insurance is not that bad. as far as gas mileage, when mine was stock i know it was doing a little better than my silverado which that gets between 18-22 mpg. so for a 320hp car to get that kind of gas mileage, what more can you ask for.

the thing thats silly about modding a 3.8 is kind of the same concept of modding a 305 compared to a 350, but on a much larger scale. a 3.8 just isn't a practicle motor to mod when you can pick up an ls1 t/a or camaro for next to nothing these days.
    The reason I mentioned insurance was because I'm 18, and just got my 3.8 camaro in February. Since then - with Allstate - I pay $289/month because 1) First time driver and 2) It's considered a 'Sports Car', and first time drivers aren't supposed to have one lol. As for the gas mileage - don't take this the wrong way - how in the hell does your WS6 have damn near the same gas mileage as my 3.8? what year is your car?

10's N/A

The reason I mentioned insurance was because I'm 18, and just got my 3.8 camaro in February. Since then - with Allstate - I pay $289/month because 1) First time driver and 2) It's considered a 'Sports Car', and first time drivers aren't supposed to have one lol. As for the gas mileage - don't take this the wrong way - how in the hell does your WS6 have damn near the same gas mileage as my 3.8? what year is your car?
    If your paying a ridiculous $289 monthly for a frikkin' V6 car...it's just too bad you couldn't of gotten a V8 for that price

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

1. Because you're dragging around the same amount of weigh with the same aerodynamics.

2. Because the V8 cars have the 6 speed transmission, which is better for fuel economy.

3. Because the LS1 is more efficient than the 3.8. It requires less throttle to do the same amount of work, because it has more power and torque. So the fuel economy gain of having two less cylinders is offset by the fact that the 3.8 requires more throttle to do the same amount of work.

So basically, it ends up evening out for the most part, with a slight advantage to the V6 in city driving.

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

Click for full size

Thread Information