thochrun71

Questions concerning Z06 motor

Im looking to do a motor swap on my 93 Z-28. Im looking to put a ZO6 corvette motor in it and i was wondering what type of electronics and parts i would need to complete this job. I know that my computer now will not be able to run the new motor so i need information on what to get and where i could get these parts. Any help on this would be great! thanks

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

great idea buddy. but good luck getting one of those engines. unless you have connections with a body shop or junkyard when someone wads a car up. my feeling is this engine will not be available as a crate motor for some time. when it does, it'd prolly be cheaper to build your own 427. although, a ls7 in a fbod is a totally badass idea.

black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

maybe he meant LS6

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

your probably right. my bad.

quicky06
    judging by the price of gm's crates itll cost around 10 grand, since the zz572 is what 13-14000. it be cheaper to build up an old 480 or 440 ant throw it in there carborated. but if you meant the ls6 like im hoppin u were, im pretty sure it has the same comp. system as in the fbody - some tunning

Black
    2004 Z06

Even with an LS1 motor and PCM and harness you see for sale all the time, you will have problems with the swap.
    The first things that WON'T work after this swap will be: gauges, power windows and locks, AC, radio, turn signals, etc.
    You will get a check engine light with codes that don't seem to make sense: O2 sensors will be the main culprit.
    Every swap I have ever seen took hours and days and weeks to get right, finally culminating with a complete swap of the entire wiring for the entire vehicle.

DisCrete
    Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger
    great idea buddy. but good luck getting one of those engines. unless you have connections with a body shop or junkyard when someone wads a car up. my feeling is this engine will not be available as a crate motor for some time. when it does, it'd prolly be cheaper to build your own 427. although, a ls7 in a fbod is a totally badass idea.

I've seen a few of them online.. but they aren't cheap by any means.

DisCrete
    disregard
    Last edited by DisCrete; 08-30-2005 at 12:09 AM.

DisCrete
    disregard.

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2006 GTO

Strangely right now prices are like this: LS1>LS2>LS6. I find this very unusual, 5100 for an LS6 is a steal in my book.

red
    2001 Z06

I'm planning to build a 427 stroker for my Z06 and very possibly would sell my stock LS6 (with 8500 miles) minus intake and some odds/end like the timing cover which would be transferred to the 427 shortblock. But the only thing holding this swap up is the fear of not getting that much $$ out of the LS6 motor. But if an LS6 is going for over $5K, it is very possible since all I have left to buy is the 427 shortblock ($7499).

Derrick

Rhino21149
    Quote Originally Posted by tazinhawaii
    I'm planning to build a 427 stroker for my Z06 and very possibly would sell my stock LS6 (with 8500 miles) minus intake and some odds/end like the timing cover which would be transferred to the 427 shortblock. But the only thing holding this swap up is the fear of not getting that much $$ out of the LS6 motor. But if an LS6 is going for over $5K, it is very possible since all I have left to buy is the 427 shortblock ($7499).

Derrick
    I sold my ZO6 long-block on e-bay for $3500 (12000 miles), I took oil and water pumps, pans, etc. off of it. I felt I could have held out for a bit more but I needed to get it off my engine stand in a hurry.

Having gone the 427 route, my strong advice is to go with a GM C5R or LS7 block (I got the "C5R" block from GMPP which came in a beautiful wooden crate with a build/spec sheet that called it "LS1-7 liter") rather than try to save a bit a sleeved block. But shop around, I found mine, new and perfect in an unopened crate, for only $5,000. Rest of the parts cost about $9,500, by the way - and the total cost by the time it was in the car, normally asipirated, was $24K, and supercharged, $34K.

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2006 GTO

There are some RICH people on the internet these days. I remember when only kids were on here.

Rhino21149
    Hey, don't knock the "rich" people. I'm not rich. I sold the LS6 engine to a guy in CA who was putting it in a RS7 - that sounded to me like a pretty neat project. So I did not argue price. I figured it was going to a project I could understand and support, even be interested in . . .

I'm not rich, never will be because I spend all my money on art, wine, and my cars, but I have fun -- POlus I bought a new Porsche Carrera six weeks ago so I don't have to drive the vette on rainy days (I'm serious, no apologies to the Porsche brigade. It is a great car and my wife likes it best of all, but it does not pull like the vette . . . .but then very few cars do.

The point is that while people say there is no replacement for displacement, but there is: money. Its all about money. The vette cost $52K new. The mods total about $45K more, so the vette and the Porsche sort of even out at the same net price. But if I had another $50K, the vette would be faster still, and those who have spent that much more, are that much faster. I live in central North Carlina and my car is well known, but there is always a faster car, someone who spent more or who is crazier (or both) than you), in this case a Supra with 28 lbs of boost, and a Buick Grand National with 22 lbs of boost. Either of them will kick my but by a lot.

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2006 GTO

I never said anything bad about you. I just moved from NC and didn't know there were any fast cars there, mostly a bunch of ragged out 5.0 mustangs. Then again Fayetteville was mostly a slum.

Rhino21149
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Z28
    I never said anything bad about you. I just moved from NC and didn't know there were any fast cars there, mostly a bunch of ragged out 5.0 mustangs. Then again Fayetteville was mostly a slum.
    Well, Fayetteville is okay: good town with good people. We live about 40 minutes north up the road in Cary/Raleigh. My son and I are down at the Fayetteville track from time to time with the Camaro and the Vette. Look for us if you are there. My son is about 24, 5-9, brown hair. I'm late 50s with a lot less hair and I always wear a ratty old straw hat so the top of my head doesn't sunburn. The Camaro is black, has a ram air hood sort of like a WS-6s, with nitrous purge nozzles that blow through the dual air intakes (sort of like a bull snorting - looks cool), an SS rear spoiler, ZO6 wheels (take offs from the vette), 315 drag radials and a roll cage, and the give-away it is us is it has silver "408" badges "molded" intothe side molding on the front fenders and custom "SSR" emblems on the rear and interios (long story there, they were on the car long before the Chevy SSR was out on the street).

The vette is easy to spot: no other like it: silver ZO6 with Fikse polished aluminum wheels, "tigershark" front end (looks amazingly like a C6 front end but it still has retracting headlights), a Lingenfelter power bulge hood with chrome "427" emblems -- NOS for a 1969 big block vette -- on the side of the bulge in exactly the same location as GM installed them in 1969, and custom "C5R" emblem on the rear. It usually has one of two custom license plate frames, depending on how I'm feeling that day: one says "427 c.i.d. C5R/Supercharged 635 HP," the other says "Yes It's Fast/No, You Can't Drive It."

Thread Information