Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 98GT vs 91TA

I'm going to go against the grain here and say the TA takes it if it's running properly. First off their is quite a bit of evidence that the 91-92 305 TPIs got the 230hp versions cam regardless of tranny/G92, so the 205hp is regarded as underrated. The 85 305 TPI w/ a very similar cam (although non-roller) to the better 91-92 cam was rated at 215hp. Ratings picked up through the years by about 10 hp due to roller cam, the change to speed density, etc, there is no way the 91 is only making 205hp with the better cam... They also make around 290-300 ft-lbs of torque, not sure about the GT. I've heard of quite a few of these running low 15s/real high 14s running well bone stock. IMO they were making at least 215hp, I really think closer to 220-225... Significantly better than the much smaller "peanut" cammed 305 TPI autos of the previous years (other than the 85 TPI, the rest of the auto 305 TPIs up to 91 were peanut cammed, with no other change than the peanut cam change from 85 to 86 the 305 TPI dropped by 25hp to 190...).

Couple that with the fact that the GT is also a auto, and I've seen times at least as bad as 15.0s and it will at least be close IMO. The GM autos have always been better at least it seems to me. If nothing else the 700r4 the TA will have has a nice low 1st gear.

All this is presuming the 91 is actually in a decent state of tune though. Which despite what others have posted here is not abnormal for a decently up kept car, especially a relatively newer as thirdgen's go 91. Driver will also make some difference obviously, if one or the other launches like a total newb then thats it most likely...

Anyway, it could go either way and will be close IMO, but I think the 91 TA has more than a fair shot at walking away the victor... I'm figuring the exhaust mods basically balance out, but if I'm underestimating the benefit the better intake setup gives the GT then that might make the difference too though...

Will be very interested in the results, make sure you guys race a couple times and rule out a single blown launch, somebody getting the jump etc... And don't forget to post the results.
    Last edited by Camaro Fan; 12-22-2005 at 10:54 PM.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I had a 89 iroc 305tpi...it was a torque monster down low, but the tpi setup chokes it pretty bad up top. A 98 gt is a straight dog....might start to walk up top though. If the TA can hook it I think he'll pull hard down low and should be able to keep the gt off his ass for the 1/8...it'll be close in the 1/4.

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

I'm thinking of getting 4.10 gear's and a nice tune(all msd stuff)
    before the race, how big of a difference will that make, also his car has about a 130k on it, mine has about 95k both car's are in really good shape however.

lee1rbc
    4.10s could be the best bang for the buck on your mustang. As much as half a second in the 1/4 and 4 to 5 miles an hour gained through the traps. The GM auto has a very quick first but a horrible second 1.64 to 1, meaning when he shifts from 1st (5800 rpm) to 2nd he will drop to about 3000 rpm, while your Mustang will drop to about 3700 rpm. That is why F body A4s can run a good 1/4 mile time but a weak mph in the traps. If it was me, after the gears I would focus on the suspension, Mustangs are notorious for not hooking up after gears or added horses (excuse me ponies.)

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

^Thanks for the info any other tips?

lee1rbc
    Change your stock 225-55-16 to 245-50-16 on the rear and install
    Maximum Motorsports Rear Lower Control Arms (79-98). Now the T/A will have no advantages on the take off.

Black
    1987 Grand National

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight
    My cousin want's to race, he has a 91TA with a 305 with flowmaster exhaust, I have a 98 mustang GT with MAC exhaust and K&N intake, Both cars are auto's, it's just for fun but who do you think will win.
    BTW I know,I know slowest race ever lol
    I just want to correct a few things and hopfully help you since I have a little backgraound in this area. I owned a 99 GT auto for 5 years and 2 of those years it had a T-76 under the hood and ran low11s/high 10s. The auto you have is the 4R70W with updated one way roller or mechanical diode which is not in the 96-97. It is quite stout and has much better gear ratios, than the AOD or AOD-E, with 2.84 1st & 1.55 2nd. With 3.73 gears, Jerry valvebody modifications, trans cooler & PI Stallion 2800 stall converter, you can knock over .7 off of your time. This is the most comprehensive Ford transmission information you are going to find. The person that wrote it was a Ford engineer that helped design the trans and programming for it.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html#
    Read the first one and jump down to Chapter 18. I did those mods and my trans lived through a 10 second pass and probably 100 mid/high 11 second passes @ 118-120 mph before I lost O/D.

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by Marc87GN
    I just want to correct a few things and hopfully help you since I have a little backgraound in this area. I owned a 99 GT auto for 5 years and 2 of those years it had a T-76 under the hood and ran low11s/high 10s. The auto you have is the 4R70W with updated one way roller or mechanical diode which is not in the 96-97. It is quite stout and has much better gear ratios, than the AOD or AOD-E, with 2.84 1st & 1.55 2nd. With 3.73 gears, Jerry valvebody modifications, trans cooler & PI Stallion 2800 stall converter, you can knock over .7 off of your time. This is the most comprehensive Ford transmission information you are going to find. The person that wrote it was a Ford engineer that helped design the trans and programming for it.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html#
    Read the first one and jump down to Chapter 18. I did those mods and my trans lived through a 10 second pass and probably 100 mid/high 11 second passes @ 118-120 mph before I lost O/D.

Damn Thanks for the info man, I think I'm going to do that "J mod"

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by john
    I'm picturing a race like this:

http://slacker.com/things/race.php

That's a cheap shot come on man your better than that

john
    Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight
    That's a cheap shot come on man your better than that

It's a great read though. Still makes me laugh.

Did your race ever take place?

Thread Information