Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    royalking03

advice on swapping a v6 for a v8?

This is my first post to this site. i have a 2002 camaro coupe with a 3.8L v6 automatic. And i miss the rumble of a v8. So ive asked around and everyone so far has told me to just go trade for a v8 camaro. i hope this isnt the best advice i can find. please can someone tell me what v8 would fit and be best for me. i only want it for back and forth to work and the occasional adrenaline rush. please someone point me in the right direction. p.s i dont think any of those other guys knew that im still making payments on my car and its a pain to go the trade route also.
    Last edited by royalking03; 08-15-2005 at 06:02 PM.

NBM
    '99 Z28

buy a V8 its the easiest thats what i did. By the way your V6 has a 3.8 not a 3.6

royalking03
    thats good advice but what type of v8 will fit and what kind of mods will i have to make?

Black
    2004 Z06

You can do it yes.
    Even if you get an LS1 motor (v8) complete with harness and PCM, there always seems to be electrical issues such as no gauges, ac, radio etc. and check engine lights.
    For some reason the headlights always work.
    You really need to know where every single wire codes in color with what.
    Even with the painless wiring from painless wiring.
    I have heard of guys having to change the entire wiring in the car to make for a correct swap.
    If you are patient .. and I mean really patient .. yes it is a good swap especially if you like your car.
    Otherwise trade for an LS1.

NBM
    '99 Z28

i meant buy the Z28 or SS it is the easiest thing to do the swap ia alot of work

quicky06
    the easiest and probly cheapest would be to sell your car and get a v8. if you want to swap the easiest would be to get a a carborated crate engine(no harness to mess with. and then theres the ls1

Green
    1998 Z28 - A4

Cabreurated is the way to go if you are going to actually do this, but you are still going to have issues with some of your electrical/ computer stuuf because of all the lacking sensors. if u go to an ls1 it would take you forever it would create more problems than a mechanically inclined car owner could actually handle.. the engine and transmission, wiring and computer will run you around 3000 to get a good complete set.. and after you do that it will take you hours.. it would be better to take a little loss on your trade than to spend extra in $$ AND HOURS OF TROUBLE SHOOTING AND LATE NIGHTS.. good luck with whichever u choose..

02-35th-ss
    I have done a swap not so much as technical as this would be but I have a 87 lx mustang {came with the 6cyl} and dropped a 5.7l 451w all carberated the issues i have with a car that is not dependant on electronics are, Tach is way off {the v8 makes more sparks than a 6 cyl so the gage is off. The front suspension had to be beffed up because the old iron 351w is alot heavier than the little old 6cyl. I blew 1 trans {i keeped the stock one in till it blew, I knew it would happen} Id say I have one of the meanest sleepers where I live. It was alot of work but i took out all electronics other than my oil pressure and water pressure.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

idk man a mustang cant really be a sleeper, especially with the V8 drone at idle

now a eclipse or talon with a huge turbo intercooler, etc.... is a sleeper

we have a lot of ricers like that around here in CT, and some of them are serious such as an older galant with 360 RWHP, not to say if you spent the same amount of money into a V8 you wouldnt kill it

royalking03
    there is an ls1 crate angine @www.crateenginedepot.com complete with wiring harness and computer for $6000. would this engine be a good buy and would it solve all the technical problems you say i would have? and thank you all for all the advice!

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

just get a huge turbo for the V6 and you'll eat on stock ls1's untill u blow it

Black
    97 Firebird

Honestly, swapping an LS1, or even an LT1 into your Camaro would be a huge headache. You'd have to change springs, fuel lines all wiring ect... it's been discussed at length on the various v6 boards. Even if you got the engine in and everything, I can't imagine it would be very reliable at all, not to mention like the others said, the various annoyances like some of your electronics not working and things like that. Plus for the cost, and all the work, and stress, it just plain wouldn't be worth it. Now if you're simply looking for the power of an LS1 in your 6, it's not that hard to achieve, and would be way cheaper than an engine swap, while retaining the driveability of a daily driver. However if you're dead set on that V8 sound specifically, cost wise, I'd say go look for a used LT1 and throw some bolt on's on it. They're affordable enough right now. That's probably your best bet.
    1997 Firebird 3.8L
    A4,WS6 Ram Air Hood, Edelbrock Catback, SLP CAI, 85 Dry Shot
    1981 Firebird Trans Am
    http://members.cardomain.com/dreaded_hope

It's been done, I swapped an LS1 out for a V6 in my old Camaro and if I had to do it all over again, I'd just buy the V8. But if you'd like some info send me a PM and I'll send over some info that will be of help.

royalking03
    what is pm?

royalking03
    thanx for all your help everyone!

02-35th-ss
    Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss
    idk man a mustang cant really be a sleeper, especially with the V8 drone at idle

now a eclipse or talon with a huge turbo intercooler, etc.... is a sleeper

we have a lot of ricers like that around here in CT, and some of them are serious such as an older galant with 360 RWHP, not to say if you spent the same amount of money into a V8 you wouldnt kill it
    have you ever herd a v8 mustang yeah everyone has, and they all sound mean with a 40 series flowmaster i have 2 on the set up. ill just have to post a pic soon so you can see. I have WELL over 360 rwhp. The engine is a 79 351w retro fit roller cam a demon carb tunnel ram intake silvalite racing pistons w/ 11.5 1 comp solid motor mounts and still have the stock looking wheels and hood on it. I put a racing tremek trans in it. other than the shake of the hood you wouldnt realize my car just blew the doors off the ls1 before i had 2 cars on you.. Dont get me wrong i would rather drive the 35th ss I have, but when I want to i know i have a beast in the garage,,for the cost of the mustang, car 1500 for the motor i built by hand 6500 trans 2000 rearend 1500. hell a sleeper is a car that appears to be stock that is my car unless you can see the trak bars and 4 link and see the 3 inch dual dual exhaust thats tucked under the car. but it was a pain the fit the motor in the car had to put the block in and then mate the trans to the clutch and flywheel there was no block trans slide in the engine compartment

Spartan_Angel
    Quote Originally Posted by dreaded_hope
    Honestly, swapping an LS1, or even an LT1 into your Camaro would be a huge headache. You'd have to change springs, fuel lines all wiring ect... it's been discussed at length on the various v6 boards. Even if you got the engine in and everything, I can't imagine it would be very reliable at all, not to mention like the others said, the various annoyances like some of your electronics not working and things like that. Plus for the cost, and all the work, and stress, it just plain wouldn't be worth it. Now if you're simply looking for the power of an LS1 in your 6, it's not that hard to achieve, and would be way cheaper than an engine swap, while retaining the driveability of a daily driver. However if you're dead set on that V8 sound specifically, cost wise, I'd say go look for a used LT1 and throw some bolt on's on it. They're affordable enough right now. That's probably your best bet.

Seriously, unless there is some extremely unique situation that you do NOT want to sell that car or buy a new one...then it would save you money, time, frustration, and even performance just to upgrade the car itself. If you bought an SS not only do you get the V8, you get suspension, wheels, tires, drivetrain, and even long term value improvements over the V6 model. Even if you bought the SS and then modded it instead of the V6, you'd still come out ahead in every category.

Blue
    2000 Camaro SS Convertibl

I would sell your v-6 (to a privete buyer, not a dealer, they'll screw you on the price). I bought my SS from a guy you was still making payments on the car, and the whole transaction toke us about 15 minutes going through his lender that had the lein on his car that he was selling to me. Basicly I paid his bank for the full selling price then the bank put the money in his account for the difference. For example, I bought the car for $15K, he still owed the bank $5K, I then paid the the full $15K to the bank, his bank then deposited $10K into his account, and then signed the title over to me. Really, the transaction isn't that complicated, and your lender will walk you through everything. Yeah, it's definately easier and cheaper in the long run to sell the V-6, and go out and buy a decent Z28 w/ an LS1. If you're buying this car as a daily driver MAKE SURE it's an LS1 engine, not the old LT1...you'll get much better fuel economy (not to mention performance) with the LS1 engine.
    I've bought a "slightly" overpriced SS SLP convertible myself, but honestly the Z28's w/an LS1 has to be the best bang for the buck car out there, and has almost identical acceleration as the SS...just not as mean looking!

Black
    99 SS

dude you can get a pretty cheap LS1 car now anyways

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Why did you ressurect this ancient thread??????? It's originally from 2005.....

Thread Information