Wifes jeep kills a fox body,,,long story....

Sorry guys, I normally don't post in here but I promised this some time back so here ya go.
    My wife has a Scrambler that we retrofitted an LT1/4l60E combo in, with a custom speed density tune (makes packaging the intake system easier) and some shorty headers, but the engine overall is stock. Some 4.10 gears and 33" BFG all terrain tires This thing overall is pretty darn quick and will literally run off and leave my wifes 97 Z28 6-speed car.

With that said,,,I have a ball with this jeep and happened to be out running arrands one afternoon. I take this windy back road that cuts over to the main 4 lane state route. I come up on a very slick looking late 80's fox body with big-n-littles, loud exhaust, roll cage etc...and everytime we got on a straightaway, he would squirt up the road a bit,,,so I obliged and would climb back up on him. We did this 3-4 times then we come to the 4 lane interstate and he happens to be turning left too

He gets straight before me and runs through the gears,,,as I get straight I have to play catchup,,,but he shuts down before I get to him. So I pull along side and wouldn't ya know it,,,the only traffic light for 5 miles and it turns yellow as we approach As we come to a stop I notice this thing idles as though it has a 260 at .050 camshaft So now I'm thinking uh oh,,,I just bit off more than I can chew. I look inside and it's this old fella about 55 years old and for some strange reason he looks familiar to me. He looks at me with a cigarette hanging from his lip and smurks.

Light turns green and I roll out easy waiting for him to nail it,,,he rolls out easy and stands on it,,,I do the same and we are neck and neck,,,,,he snapped second gear and the jeep moved ahead a fender and from there I proceed to pull more until about 3 cars ahead and we both shut down.

I have to say that I was simply amazed but it gets even better. This guy is totally pissed off but I go about my business and go home.

Well it turns out he was familiar to me,,,,,a brother of someone I know real well and they kinda look alike. Well he tells his brother what happened and word gets around. I run into him and his brother at a local cruise inn and this guy is seriously pissed (it's been about 2 weeks now)

I find out this is a legit 10 second ride on the bottle,,,,but he ran me on the motor,,,which is a 347 stroker, AFR heads,,solid roller, 5-speed with 4.10's etc...he states that on the motor it runs high 11's. I laughed and said my jeep doesn't run high 11's, probably 13's at best,,,,so what happened???

He said he about shit when the jeep started pulling away and didn't pay attention to his shift point,,,put the motor on the rev limiter twice Then admitted that his son built the car and drives it better than he can,,,,then he stated now that his son was also upset and wanted a rematch, this time with his son driving it,,,,,, I just said look Bob,,,I am sure your mustang is faster than my wifes JEEP,,,lol,,,no need to do it again,,,just on that day you didn't have it in ya Well he didn't take it too well and this whole ordeal nearly started a squabble. Sheeesh I don't understand some people. So I proceeded to rub it in at this point,,,,told him if he couldn't beat my wifes family car that I wasn't going to bother to pull the big gun out of the garage,,,and from there it started a huge controversy that I still hear about even now. Guess no one does this just for the fun of it anymore????

10's N/A

That guy had to have been the worst driver in Ohio. A 347 Stroker w/ supporting bolt-ons on tires is atleast 12's all day. You got lucky there. Good kill.

Ya, it's like anything else really. I've known his brother for years. I don't question his claim that the car runs high 11's on the motor. He runs M/T drag radials on the rear, so tire spin wasn't a problem,,,,,he just got excited when the jeep jumped out with him and that took his attention away from what he was doing,,,...........but to get upset over it just blew my mind. Even after I told him that I was sure his mustang was quicker than the jeep, he really struggled with the fact,,,,I think,,,that a 4wheel drive with 33" all terrains actually ran that good.

If he got his act together and recovered from his rev limit episode I am sure he could have powered his way around me,,,,but at around 70 mph he just gave up.

Another funny little tidbit to this,,,,his brother that I know real well has an auto repair shop on this same road, I drive past all the time. The very next day I drive past (in the jeep again) and I see Frank talking to his brother Bob in the parking lot and the mustang is parked there.
    I waved at Frank not thinking much about the day before.

It turned out that Bob was there just to tell his brother about this fast jeep that ran away from him,,he was right in the middle of it ,,,,,and about that time I go driving by in it
    And he hears me coming and points up and says,,,,THERE GOES THAT F'N JEEP RIGHT THERE!!!! He was so pissed off,,,cracks me up.

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Another funny little tidbit to this,,,,his brother that I know real well has an auto repair shop on this same road, I drive past all the time. The very next day I drive past (in the jeep again) and I see Frank talking to his brother Bob in the parking lot and the mustang is parked there.
    I waved at Frank not thinking much about the day before.

It turned out that Bob was there just to tell his brother about this fast jeep that ran away from him,,he was right in the middle of it ,,,,,and about that time I go driving by in it
    And he hears me coming and points up and says,,,,THERE GOES THAT F'N JEEP RIGHT THERE!!!! He was so pissed off,,,cracks me up.
    Great kill, talk about getting owned and adding insult to injury at the end there.

Black
    01 Camaro SS

Thats almost to good to be true!!!
    96 Imp SS- 12.74@103, 1.74 60' out of fuel

06 AWD TB SS- 12.58@106, 1.76 60'

01 Camaro SS- Totaled

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Awesome story, I can't believe someone would get so worked up about losing a race. That's gotta be one of the stoutest Foxes around, no denying that. Driver error can make a legit car, slow. That part about him telling the story as you drive by was priceless! Hollywood couldn't make a better story.

Quote Originally Posted by hoss 2000 z-28 View Post
    Awesome story, I can't believe someone would get so worked up about losing a race. That's gotta be one of the stoutest Foxes around, no denying that. Driver error can make a legit car, slow. That part about him telling the story as you drive by was priceless! Hollywood couldn't make a better story.
    I guess I have my moments I found out about all this 2 weeks later at the cruise inn when we confronted each other.

Another funny part,,,I took the jeep to the cruise inn that weekend. As word got around about what happened,,,,that thing had more people around it looking under the hood, for a while I couldn't even get near it. Out of 500 cars I think more people looked at the jeep than any other

Black
    1999 Formula

Sweet. Good job.
    Got any pics of the jeep?
    1999 Formula, M6, mostly stock daily driver. ARH Headers, Hooker cat back, Koni's. EFI live V2, LC-1 serial connection. BRE custom cam

Yes,,,but you may be seeing it tooling around Arizona soon, we'll be living out there by end of summer if all goes as planned.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

Pretty awsome story there.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

if I got smoked by a jeep I think I would be in shock.. utterly amazed.. maybe a little wet in the croch area.. then I would go home and data log my car and if there was nothing wrong with it i would get drunk and once again just sit down amazed..

LOL,,,thats what makes it a complete ball to drive...

Thread Information