Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Angry 98 Ta Maf, Iat Sensor, New Lid???

What the hell do i do. I want to buy a Fast Toys High Flow 85mm LS1 Air Lid. It does not have the hole for the iat sensor and a bigger opening for a 85mm maf so if I was to use the stock one I have I would need to use adapters. I heard of of using a 5 wire maf with the iat in it, I cant find one. I also been hearing on here not to use a aftermarket maf so now Im really confiused. Is there a 3-five wire converion??? I have also heard of people not not runing a maf at all. can any one shead some light on this for me.

11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

The Fast Toys do have provisions for the AIT, they dont drill it out, but they do give you instruction on how it of desired. The MAF opening is made to accept the 85mm MAF without using any reducers. The 5 wire MAF that GM uses does have the AIT made into the MAF. You have a 98, so you will definately need your PCM tuned to accept the 5 wire MAF frequency. the 98 PMC maxes out at 11250hz where the 99+ goes to 12000hz, your MAF table will have to be modified.
    Last edited by bigboykilroy; 04-09-2008 at 05:23 AM.

Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by bigboykilroy View Post
    The Fast Toys do have provisions for the AIT, they dont drill it out, but they do give you instruction on how it of desired. The MAF opening is made to accept the 85mm MAF without using any reducers. The 5 wire MAF that GM uses does have the AIT made into the MAF. You have a 98, so you will definately need your PCM tuned to accept the 5 wire MAF frequency. the 98 PMC maxes out at 11250hz where the 99+ goes to 12000hz, your MAF table will have to be modified.
    All the time I run into some kind of issue that limits my 98 but don't see it on 99 and up.

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

Ya I hear you. I have a 98 also, but I own HP tuners and I run the Z06 MAF, I just scaled my tables to take full advantage of the MAF. But we do have other things the the other years dont, like a working temp gauge, larger injectors from the factory, etc.

Blue
    1998 Trans Am

I'm looking at a zo6 maf on ebay these quite a few on there. I'm going with the ftp lid so when I get it all I will need to find some way to tune it.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I wouldnt even mess with the maf unless your upwards of 600hp to the wheels. The people that dont run Maf's, run "speed denseity" tune's.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Ya I hear you. I have a 98 also, but I own HP tuners and I run the Z06 MAF, I just scaled my tables to take full advantage of the MAF. But we do have other things the the other years dont, like a working temp gauge, larger injectors from the factory, etc.
    I like the fact that 98's didnt have a single recall from the factory or piston slap

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Demon_Z28 View Post
    I like the fact that 98's didnt have a single recall from the factory or piston slap
    You are joking right?

Blue
    1998 Trans Am

I just looked into that hptuners looks spendy after all the credits that I don't understand.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Ls1Joe View Post
    I just looked into that hptuners looks spendy after all the credits that I don't understand.
    For each additional car a credit is 100 bucks.

Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Can u do whatever you want with the program?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Yes it controls everything. Its the same software professional tuners use.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I want to get it and learn but I am a dumbass on computers.

Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    Yes it controls everything. Its the same software professional tuners use.
    so I will guess it is well worth the money. What one do you have? I see you don't have it.

Your on a cpu now. I had to call my bro in-law he's a ricer and is looing into hptuners to see if it is right for me or if I should just have it tuned for now.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Ls1Joe View Post
    so I will guess it is well worth the money. What one do you have? I see you don't have it.

Your on a cpu now. I had to call my bro in-law he's a ricer and is looing into hptuners to see if it is right for me or if I should just have it tuned for now.
    Well the good thing about it is HP tuners has a forum (like ls1.com) and there are people that will help you. If you plan on keeping your car for a while and doing alot of mods I think it is definately worth it. It is very involved IMO and takes time to learn. Go to the HP tuners forum and read some of the threads and check out some of the tutorials and see if its something you could handle. If not maybe getting your car tuned by a pro is prolly best for you.

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

I love the HP Tuner Software. I have the HP Tuners Pro. The software is priced very reasonable for what you are getting. Also it comes with enough credits to do about 4 cars. If you had a few friends and you split the cost its not that bad.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

base hptuners is $500.00. comes with 8 credits initially. you'll use two of them to tune your car.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

I dont even know what I did before I had it.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    base hptuners is $500.00. comes with 8 credits initially. you'll use two of them to tune your car.
    It would be nuts to buy a hand held if thats the case.

Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    It would be nuts to buy a hand held if thats the case.
    I have no plans to buy one, I don't even think there is one for a 98 I only ever see 99 and up. I might just get it tuned I got to buy springs and shocks this year and mabye other suspension parts oh ya and my house and wife want money too. I think I will need another job if I want hptuners this year.

Thread Information