Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NBM
    98 trans am

me vs charger srt-8!

so i was driving home this morning on the highway, when i see a red srt-8 coming up on me pretty quick, so i gas it a little bit to match his speed as he was coming up on me, well he got up next to me and we cruised about 80 for 3 seconds then we both hit it at the exact same time. i put about a bumpter to half a car on him til 140, then after that he slowly started pulling on me, then by 155+ he had about 1/4th of a car on me then i hit the rev limiter in 4th(a4) so i had to let off. we both gave the thumbs up, it was great. he told me he had exhaust, great race, very fun.

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

why not do a more practicaly race-- lets say 50-90 maybe 105-- but 155 YIKES.

If i ever do get the balls to do 155 in my car, it sure as hell won't be side by side another car doing the same thing.

NBM
    98 trans am

it was kinda spur of the moment... we just bot hit it.. plus, i dont have a 2nd gear =p

FUGLY CBR1000RR rider.com

Black n Black
    04 Dodge Ram 07 CBR1000RR

An auto and it doesn't have second gear but still runs? I'm not at all framiliar with tranny's but I've never heard of an auto tranny still working after a gear goes out. Granted I had an 89 MX6 Gt with a 5 speed, third gear went out on me and I was still able to drive, just couldn't put it in 3rd, but I don't know how an auto skips 2nd gear.

Still cool race.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by tigersport14 View Post
    so i was driving home this morning on the highway, when i see a red srt-8 coming up on me pretty quick, so i gas it a little bit to match his speed as he was coming up on me, well he got up next to me and we cruised about 80 for 3 seconds then we both hit it at the exact same time. i put about a bumpter to half a car on him til 140, then after that he slowly started pulling on me, then by 155+ he had about 1/4th of a car on me then i hit the rev limiter in 4th(a4) so i had to let off. we both gave the thumbs up, it was great. he told me he had exhaust, great race, very fun.
    I am surprised the brick pulled you on top end.

NBM
    98 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by zggill04 View Post
    An auto and it doesn't have second gear but still runs? I'm not at all framiliar with tranny's but I've never heard of an auto tranny still working after a gear goes out. Granted I had an 89 MX6 Gt with a 5 speed, third gear went out on me and I was still able to drive, just couldn't put it in 3rd, but I don't know how an auto skips 2nd gear.

Still cool race.
    1st 3rd and 4th still work, i have to kinda gas it a little bit in first(which gets annoying) to make it to third

NBM
    98 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    I am surprised the brick pulled you on top end.
    probably had lower gears
    Last edited by tigersport14; 04-06-2008 at 06:03 AM.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

That's very fast, I would not have done that. I am surprised that the SRT-8 pulled you from the top but then again, our 4th gear with 2.73 is not exactly usefull. Aren't SRT-8's equipped with an A5? Seems like their gearing would be quite a bit tighter. I wish my car had more than 4 gears...

C6 H/C/N20

Honorable death. I have an SRT8 300 and they are a few lbs lighter than the Chargers and it walks my bolt on SS. My wife wanted to race and sure enough, it pulled the SS the faster we went when it (SRT) was stock. They run REAL strong with a CAI/Tune (400-415rwhp through the A5), they will shift at 6600rpm when tuned and run 175+. Very fun cars.

C6 H/C/N20

Quote Originally Posted by tigersport14 View Post
    probably had lower gears

We dont have any aftermarket gears available yet.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by JayplaySS2 View Post
    Honorable death. I have an SRT8 300 and they are a few lbs lighter than the Chargers and it walks my bolt on SS. My wife wanted to race and sure enough, it pulled the SS the faster we went when it (SRT) was stock. They run REAL strong with a CAI/Tune (400-415rwhp through the A5), they will shift at 6600rpm when tuned and run 175+. Very fun cars.

What is the deal with the single traction rear? I saw a couple vids of SRT's on youtube, guys doin donuts and one tire burning? Couldn't even do a donut right.

NBM
    98 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by hoss 2000 z-28 View Post
    I wish my car had more than 4 gears...
    i hear ya =/ oh well the 4 gears i do have i love =D

NBM
    98 trans am

We dont have any aftermarket gears available yet.
    what do they come with?

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

Speed is different everywhere in the US out in Tulsa the roads are strait for boring mile after mile... 155 is still fast as hell but not nearly as scarry when there are no turns coming up. I had my G6 up to 120 (limiter) for quite a few miles when i was out west a while back.

Nice death. Supprised they pulled on you i wonder how my M6 would have faired.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by stevenm357 View Post
    Nice death. Supprised they pulled on you i wonder how my M6 would have faired.
    A hands down victory of course.

Impounded

Atlantic Blue
    2005 Legacy GT Stage 2

The curb weight on the charger srt-8 and 300c-srt8 are both 4160. Most people run low 13s some hit high 12s stock, which i could do with my 2000 T/A with just headers and exhaust and i pulled a 13.4 bone stock(which is generally the times is see stock srt-8s run). I would say a bolt on f-body is a good race for a srt8 with the advantage to the f-body, even more so if its stick.

10's N/A

Walks your "bolt-on" SS? What's wrong with that picture? When you say bolt-on do you mean just intake and cat-back? As you are probably aware bolt-on LS1 cars can push over 350-rwhp with a much lighter curb weight than an SRT-8, and i've seen dozens of full bolt-on LS1's way down in the 12's (a few even in the 11's). I've seen stock SRT-8's get walked by stock LS1 M6's on more than one occasion. Yeah some have gone high 12's in the SRT, but that is pretty darn rare. Most guys are going low 13's all day, right around LS1 territory.

Impounded

Atlantic Blue
    2005 Legacy GT Stage 2

Exactly, when i had my headers, exhaust and intake on mt T/A i was running 12.7-13.2s all day long. It was a M6 and i was never pulled by a stock srt-8 anything. 370-380rwhp is what a stock srt-8 makes to the wheels, my t/A was at 347rwhp after the tune. Which was more than enough for me to put 2-3 cars on a srt-8 from 0-80mph

C6 H/C/N20

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Walks your "bolt-on" SS? What's wrong with that picture? When you say bolt-on do you mean just intake and cat-back? As you are probably aware bolt-on LS1 cars can push over 350-rwhp with a much lighter curb weight than an SRT-8, and i've seen dozens of full bolt-on LS1's way down in the 12's (a few even in the 11's). I've seen stock SRT-8's get walked by stock LS1 M6's on more than one occasion. Yeah some have gone high 12's in the SRT, but that is pretty darn rare. Most guys are going low 13's all day, right around LS1 territory.
    My 02 SS 6spd has a lid, Magnaflow CB, 85mm TB and UD pulley and from anything above 90+ the SRT8 will gradually walk and keep going (about 2-2.5 cars to 80-130). Anything under that they are pretty close. Above that the advantage goes to the 300. I should have a vid this week or next week doing something totally different running my buddies 2 cars aginst each other. His MS3 2000 Z28 vs his 03 pullied Cobra. I should have the SRT with us and will show you how they pull, maybe my wife has a strong SRT.

C6 H/C/N20

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    What is the deal with the single traction rear? I saw a couple vids of SRT's on youtube, guys doin donuts and one tire burning? Couldn't even do a donut right.

Ive seen a few like that, no idea why. Im sure they have a very loose diff. As long as you have a decent tire it will hook in a straight line with both just fine after about 5-10 feet. Works fine but I wouldnt use it like a Camaro and do doughnuts in it.

Thread Information