Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Onyx Black, M6
    2002 Berger Camaro SS #86

berger meets the dyno...

put the berger "380hp/400tq package" to the test today on the dyno... first time i've had a car on one. feels good to officially know where i'm at, as far as numbers go. i dont have the chart scanned or anything...but here are the numbers:

329.59 RWHP @ 5500
    348.39 RWTQ @ 4500

to be honest, it was a little better than I expected. as far as I know, it's pretty much a lid and a GMMG as far as power increase over stock goes. there must be some computer tuning as well, it was locked up tight by berger.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

That's awesome research! I always wondered what they dynoed at.

1. What kind of dyno?
    2. You can't get into the computer to tune it?

Onyx Black, M6

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    That's awesome research! I always wondered what they dynoed at.

1. What kind of dyno?
    2. You can't get into the computer to tune it?
    Dynojet; and ya, completely locked out. even tried a local chevy dealership (know guy there), and they couldn't get in!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

nice!! i bet you can get a mail order tune for it. Frost does them

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierSS02 View Post
    put the berger "380hp/400tq package" to the test today on the dyno... first time i've had a car on one. feels good to officially know where i'm at, as far as numbers go. i dont have the chart scanned or anything...but here are the numbers:

329.59 RWHP @ 5500
    348.39 RWTQ @ 4500

to be honest, it was a little better than I expected. as far as I know, it's pretty much a lid and a GMMG as far as power increase over stock goes. there must be some computer tuning as well, it was locked up tight by berger.
    huh.. interesting.. my car dyno'd on a dyna pack 4000.. almost the exact same.

338...HP
    351...TQ

and I have SLP CAI, SLP MASS and SLP dual exhust..

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I used to really wonder what those cars had in them. That would suck if I wanted to mod and couldn't because the computer is locked out. you can always just swap computers

I always figured those cars had a sleeper cam or something like that.

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

329.59 RWHP @ 5500
    348.39 RWTQ @ 4500

Interesting, those numbers are great. Are the "380hp/400tq package" rating at the crank?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I would be PISSED about the computer being locked.

Nice numbers by the way.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

380 pkg and dynoed 329 shouldnt he be pissed i dont understand. i dont know much about these cars. but if you buy a 380 pkg should you at least dyno 350 or better on the dyno? explain please.

Onyx Black, M6

Quote Originally Posted by SAGGIN View Post
    Interesting, those numbers are great. Are the "380hp/400tq package" rating at the crank?
    Thanks. Ya, I assumed it was a crank rating from the get-go. The numbers seem to confirm that.

Onyx Black, M6

Quote Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
    380 pkg and dynoed 329 shouldnt he be pissed i dont understand. i dont know much about these cars. but if you buy a 380 pkg should you at least dyno 350 or better on the dyno? explain please.
    I think I would be pretty foolish to expect much more. They offer different "stages" or whatever you want to call it, this is the basic berger package. Its really mostly suspension work, as far as I can tell. Without disassembling the car or being able to get into the computer, I really don't know what they actually did to the car (frustrating).
    You know that berger is going to rate this package as high as they can to sell. Probably based on a stock LS1 putting out around 350 at the crank, plus the maximum crank output from adding a GMMG and a high flow air box, they call it 30 hp, and they throw the 380/400 numbers out there. I don't remember exactly, but I think the next stage up is like 450 or 480 hp, probably some internal work there. I don't think they expect people who buy these to throw them on the dyno to tell you the truth...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

I think I would be pretty foolish to expect much more. They offer different "stages" or whatever you want to call it, this is the basic berger package. Its really mostly suspension work, as far as I can tell. Without disassembling the car or being able to get into the computer, I really don't know what they actually did to the car (frustrating).
    You know that berger is going to rate this package as high as they can to sell. Probably based on a stock LS1 putting out around 350 at the crank, plus the maximum crank output from adding a GMMG and a high flow air box, they call it 30 hp, and they throw the 380/400 numbers out there. I don't remember exactly, but I think the next stage up is like 450 or 480 hp, probably some internal work there. I don't think they expect people who buy these to throw them on the dyno to tell you the truth...
    Very interesting stuff. I bet you are right, your numbers are right on for what you would expect a lid/catback/tune car to pull. The computer lock is LAME, but you have a very nice car!

white
    98 Camaro Z28

damn, my z28 dynoed 353 rwhp, i forgot the tq, slip is around here somewhere.

i only have lid, o/r long tubes, computer tune, slp loudmouth II cat back, pullies, ac delete, egr delete.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

the looks of the car is good for another 50rwhplol You need to send us LOTS of pictures of this car. Looks really good!

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Thanks. Ya, I assumed it was a crank rating from the get-go. The numbers seem to confirm that.
    i'd be pissed off cause if they advertize numbers it should numbers that the asphat is feeling. they don't rate other cars that way. i.e. Camaro SS rated at 325hp, that's horsepower at the wheels not the crank and on the sticker that's what it says.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

i'd be pissed off cause if they advertize numbers it should numbers that the asphat is feeling. they don't rate other cars that way. i.e. Camaro SS rated at 325hp, that's horsepower at the wheels not the crank and on the sticker that's what it says.
    I've never seen a sticker that said 325 on the ground. I have my window sticker(gm not slp) and it doesn't say 325 on the ground. Mine just says "325 horse power." I do agree about the ratings, they should only reflect whats on the pavement. I think ours is more that way than those mustangs because we pimp slap them so much!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

The only reason they have to lock your PCM is that they are ashamed of what they have done in there. There is NOTHING "proprietary" that they or anyone else does. There is nothing new under the sun.

I would be infuriated that they had the nerve to lock it up and make it useless.

10's N/A

There is virtually no one out there that will rate a car, or performance package by the true output - i.e. rear-wheel horsepower. Berger, Saleen, Roush, etc. etc. all rate their cars by FWHP. What his Berger put down is about right for the 380hp package.

Now the fact that the computer is locked just plain sucks. I wonder why?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    There is virtually no one out there that will rate a car, or performance package by the true output - i.e. rear-wheel horsepower. Berger, Saleen, Roush, etc. etc. all rate their cars by FWHP. What his Berger put down is about right for the 380hp package.

Now the fact that the computer is locked just plain sucks. I wonder why?
    You are right. Think about it, there are a LOT of variables that impact RWHP between the flywheel and the rear tires:
    clutch condition
    rotating masses in the flywheel, transmission (AT vs. MT), driveshaft, rear end, different wheel and tire options (even OEM)
    tire pressure
    mechanical friction and wear and tear through the drivetrain
    lubrication

Rating at the wheels manufacturers would have 20 ratings for each model. Flywheel HP not only sounds better for marketing, but it is more consistent of a number.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

that sucks because what is on the ground is what really matters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information