Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Magnetic
    2016 Shelby GT350

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    No, "pray", as in you'd better pray when you see me coming up on you -
    I'm not a 1/4 mile guy, I race at road racing tracks. Do you open track? I'd love to run against you at a track like Buttonwillow Raceway (near Bakersfield) in my Cobra or BMW (see avatar).
    '01 BMW 330ci: Race it in a modified class in BMW CCA Club Racing and NASA endurance races.
    '04 Lincoln LS V8 Sport: Stock.
    '04 Mustang Cobra coupe (white/gray): Modified.

10's N/A

I haven't got into road racing yet, though I've always wanted to. I bet your BMW hauls ass around the twisties!

Impounded

Atlantic Blue
    2005 Legacy GT Stage 2

Thats part of the reason i got my legacy, i wanted to get into road courses. I practiced in certain places never on a real course but i was pretty good(mostly i went up against a friends NSX with some suspension work). I know alot of guys on the legacy forums that run road course. Whats done to your cobra that you run it on road course, its not the best car for it, as for the BMW i love how kids in M3s tell me all the time how the car handles like jesus, they handle well but they arent a God send. Eveyone who owns one thinks they are the best handling car out there, i have driven them and they are nice but i expected more, just from what i had heard from people all my life. From the looks of your BMW you do it often lol

Magnetic
    2016 Shelby GT350

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    I haven't got into road racing yet, though I've always wanted to. I bet your BMW hauls ass around the twisties!
    It does. I hold a track record at Buttonwillow for my class in one of the available track configurations.

You should go to a NASA event at Buttonwillow or Sears Point (Infineon) to check it out. They have numerous race groups and open track (HPDE) groups for street cars. It's cool to watch the Camaro/Mustang Challenge group (a spec series), and American Iron and American Iron Extreme (faster Mustangs and Camaros/Firebirds than in the Challenge series).
    Last edited by 99 Kobra; 04-07-2008 at 04:48 PM.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by 99 Kobra View Post
    It does. I hold a track record at Buttonwillow for my class in one of the available track configurations.

You should go to a NASA event at Buttonwillow or Sears Point (Infineon) to check it out. They have numerouis race groups and open track (HPDE) groups for street cars. It's cool to watch the Camaro/Mustang Challenge group (a spec series), and American Iron and American Iron Extreme (faster Mustangs and Camaros/Firebirds than in the Challenge series).
    Sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe one day i'll head up that way and run, but definitely not in this car.

Magnetic
    2016 Shelby GT350

Quote Originally Posted by LGT Guru View Post
    Thats part of the reason i got my legacy, i wanted to get into road courses. I practiced in certain places never on a real course but i was pretty good(mostly i went up against a friends NSX with some suspension work). I know alot of guys on the legacy forums that run road course. Whats done to your cobra that you run it on road course, its not the best car for it, as for the BMW i love how kids in M3s tell me all the time how the car handles like jesus, they handle well but they arent a God send. Eveyone who owns one thinks they are the best handling car out there, i have driven them and they are nice but i expected more, just from what i had heard from people all my life. From the looks of your BMW you do it often lol
    My Cobra has Maximum Motorsports full-length subframe connectors (welded), Maximum Motorsports coilovers with Hypercoil springs (rates are 450/575), Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates, Bilstein Sports, K & N FIPK, JBA mufflers, StopTech front brakes (13 inch 2-piece slotted rotors with 4 piston calipers and steel-braided lines), Porterfield R4 race pads in front and Porterfield R4S pads in the rear, front brake ducts, Ford heavy duty brake fluid and 275-40-17 Nitto 555 RII track tires on 17 by 9 Cobra R wheels.

The Cobra isn't the best car for open track because it's supercharged. Therefore, it suffers from heat soak if you stay on the track too long. It's okay for 15 to 20 minute runs. Other than that, it's a good car for open track. I admit, not as good as a C6 Z06, but still good even though it weighs 3,600 lbs.

My BMW weighs about 2,600 lbs. and will clean the clock of any kid driving a street legal M3. Problem is, my BMW is not even close to being street legal. Therefore, it's not even licensed.

10's N/A

My Cobra has Maximum Motorsports full-length subframe connectors (welded), Maximum Motorsports coilovers with Hypercoil springs (rates are 450/575), Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates, Bilstein Sports, K & N FIPK, JBA mufflers, StopTech front brakes (13 inch 2-piece slotted rotors with 4 piston calipers and steel-braided lines), Porterfield R4 race pads in front and Porterfield R4S pads in the rear, front brake ducts, Ford heavy duty brake fluid and 275-40-17 Nitto 555 RII track tires on 17 by 9 Cobra R wheels.

The Cobra isn't the best car for open track because it's supercharged. Therefore, it suffers from heat soak if you stay on the track too long. It's okay for 15 to 20 minute runs. Other than that, it's a good car for open track. I admit, not as good as a C6 Z06, but still good even though it weighs 3,600 lbs.

My BMW weighs about 2,600 lbs. and will clean the clock of any kid driving a street legal M3. Problem is, my BMW is not even close to being street legal. Therefore, it's not even licensed.
    Oh no...nowhere near a modded (suspension-wise) C6 ZO6 . But nonetheless, sounds like it handles very well!

And at 2600lbs, I can see why the beemer is NOT legal. You must have every chassis/suspension mod available!

Impounded

Atlantic Blue
    2005 Legacy GT Stage 2

I could have guessed that just from the 2600lbs of weight lol. you dont loose almost 1000lbs and stay street legal generally. I picked the subaru for reliability and i thought it was a good platfrom for road course. AWD, 260hp 270trq are the real stock number and 3300lbs. With just a gutted cat and a open source tune i did im making 250to the wheels which is about 310 at the crank and almost 280trq to the wheels which is about 330trq. I was gonna do alot to the suspension and add a front mount to get rid of that top mount heat soak. but now that summer is hear i see all my friends with there sporty v8 cars and i miss my car horribly. The road course woudl be fun but all my friends street race. I mean the car went a 13.67 at 99mph which is good for a family sedan but i miss T-tops and the sound of the v8 trailing behind me

Magnetic
    2016 Shelby GT350

The only thing the BMW needs is more power. The engine currently being built for a race at Willow Springs Raceway in May should put out a litttle over 300 hp at the crank (keep in mind that it's an inline 6!).

I like Subarus. You should try to run it against some Evos!

10's N/A

I could have guessed that just from the 2600lbs of weight lol. you dont loose almost 1000lbs and stay street legal generally. I picked the subaru for reliability and i thought it was a good platfrom for road course. AWD, 260hp 270trq are the real stock number and 3300lbs. With just a gutted cat and a open source tune i did im making 250to the wheels which is about 310 at the crank and almost 280trq to the wheels which is about 330trq. I was gonna do alot to the suspension and add a front mount to get rid of that top mount heat soak. but now that summer is hear i see all my friends with there sporty v8 cars and i miss my car horribly. The road course woudl be fun but all my friends street race. I mean the car went a 13.67 at 99mph which is good for a family sedan but i miss T-tops and the sound of the v8 trailing behind me
    I can understand. You must have had absolutely no other choice to swap your T/A for the subie. Nice car and all, but just not the same.

Impounded

Atlantic Blue
    2005 Legacy GT Stage 2

Exactly which is why i will soon have another fbody lol

As for running against evos, i have only in a straight line though. Kids who dont know how to launch i can take and even stock ones that know how launch i can take but a modded evo that can launch at 5500rpms i usually cant keep up with. I have seen a couple kids at the track who cant get there evos out of the 15s

Magnetic
    2016 Shelby GT350

Exactly which is why i will soon have another fbody lol

As for running against evos, i have only in a straight line though. Kids who dont know how to launch i can take and even stock ones that know how launch i can take but a modded evo that can launch at 5500rpms i usually cant keep up with. I have seen a couple kids at the track who cant get there evos out of the 15s
    Hell, a lot of Terminator owners can't launch, either! They just hop down the track! That is where a stick axle beats the IRS. I learned to launch mine pretty good from doing timed autocross runs.

Impounded

Atlantic Blue
    2005 Legacy GT Stage 2

Yeah, i have had alot of pratice with irs, until i had my supras rear end changed over to live axle. Wheel hop sucks, my friends 350z has such bad hop, when i slam it into 2nd and floor it the car just bounces for like 3 seconds

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I just had my first autocross even the other day. I got 2nd place and even did better then some AWD subis and evos hehe

Internet Police

Black
    2003 Mustang Cobra

not gonna do delrin/aluminum bushings in the IRS? I did, the car feels way different. Made a bigger difference than the subframes, that's for sure.

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    I just had my first autocross even the other day. I got 2nd place and even did better then some AWD subis and evos hehe
    in the camaro? I was thinking about taking mine some time. I dunno though. I think I would end up just sliding around the track. lol

Impounded

Atlantic Blue
    2005 Legacy GT Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    If the suspension on your camaro is stock then they are horrible drivers. I love f-bodys im selling my car to get one, but im not ignorant enough to think my Trans Am(which was lowered with drilled and slotted rotors and sub frame connectors) was better at handling than my subaru. And the STI and legacy spec b with out handle my legacy for sure. so if you beat a sti around a track that guy was bad.

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post
    Just do me a favor before buy that f-body and go test drive a mustang.... This will be you --->

I have to say no it won't I've driven my friends mustang his 03 and his new 07 don't like it at all. I hate the way it shifts with the linkage I'm sorry but why do they still do this like fwd cars do it's a rear wheel drop it straight in. Its sits comfortable but I'll sit in my ss rather then that any day, ford has gotten better with this car it has some more power but even with intake and exhaust still couldn't take my ss when it was stock. Plus you'll miss the sound of the f-body compared to the hollow mustang sound. But I agree test drive one you'll appreciate your f-body even more. Lastly thought you'll miss the 6th gear and the better gas mileage with more power. One good thing though they have a lot more extra room in the engine bay makes it easier to work on I guess thats the only plus I can really say about the mustang.

Impounded

Atlantic Blue
    2005 Legacy GT Stage 2

We could have more room too with a 4.6liter lol, seriously i did almost buy a mach 1, but the ls1 still felt better, even though they are close in 1/4mile times. The Mach 1 and 03/04 would be the only ones i would buy. Im not paying 25grand for a cobra.

silver
    98 ss camaro

We could have more room too with a 4.6liter lol, seriously i did almost buy a mach 1, but the ls1 still felt better, even though they are close in 1/4mile times. The Mach 1 and 03/04 would be the only ones i would buy. Im not paying 25grand for a cobra.
    +1 you could take the price difference and throw a s/c on your ls1 and kill the cobra no problem I'd rather have a mustang then a ricer but I have to stick with the ls1 plus it looks so much better and sounds better too and like always got to have those t-tops.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information