Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Help! Car Is Overheating!

well, I got my FAST intake put on, and now my engine is going past 230 degrees. I don't know why! I think it's running lean, but jeez! I also lost 4 horsepower and gained 5 ft lbs. I already refilled the coolant, and that didn't help.

Silver
    2000 3.8 liter camaro

dammmmnn son, that sucks...i was expecting some better gains outta that. Hope that works out for ya.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Anyone?????

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28 vert

you may want to try checking what temp your fan is set for

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Could be you have a air bubble in the cooling system, just flush the system and refill it.

how much antifreeze are you putting in?
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

no, I don't think there is an air bubble in the cooling system, I put it halfway up my driveway ramp and jacked the front of the car up as high as possible to try and get any bubbles out, and it didn't work.

black
    2002 WS6

what you have to do is runn it witht he cap off till the t-stat opens, and starts circulating htne shut the car down and refill, repeating untill you can no longer add any coolant. by jacking the car up you in fact traped more air then what would ahve been allowed to escape normally.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I had an air bubble in mine for like 2 weeks. Take off the cap and let it warm up and rev it up and down.. air should come out.. if its not coolant I fear you have something internally wrong.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

my brother thinks that I might have a vacuum leak in the back of the manifold where the gasket for the top had a 1/8 gap in it. I did hear what sounded like a whistle when it was on the dyno.

phantom black
    2006 GTO

I am not to sure but if u installed a new intake the air fuel ratio will change and it will run lean. The overheating might be another problem. Check your a/c does it work? I worked on my goat and pulled a wire next to the cooling system. thats my 2cents.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I didn't check the AC, what would that have to do with it overheating tho?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

why didn't you have the car on a wideband on the dyno? That will answer your lean questions and is probably why you didn't pick up as much as you thought. In order to take advantage of mods you have to tune for them.

I'd bet my right arm you have air trapped in the system. Pop the cap on the radiator and let the car idle up to temp until everything is circulating good then top off the coolant and let it continue to idle for a couple of minutes before putting the cap on. Just need to purge the air out.

A gasket leak definitely wouldn't help you much but if you're leaking air you'd know it. The car will idle high and run like crap.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

well, they put my car on the dyno for free, since I just wanted a dyno read out and I had paid them $360 bucks, so they did it free of charge. The shop I was at has a tuner come out to do the tuning, and it costs $550 for the guy to come out and the time on the dyno. the guy that did my car owns a 99 Z28 and felt bad for me since I lost power, and was able to talk the shop owner into lowering the cost to $500. Since I get 14 mpg, I think I'm gonna get the tune, once I have the money. I only have $80 in my bank account. :/

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

manythings can go wrong with cooling system...

! Thermostat stuck Close

2 deterioated Coolant (old coolant)

3 Blocked Radiator (due to rust)

4 AC condencer Fan

5 Leak in the hoses.

ive heard of the air bubbles but to avoid that problem in the future just open the bleeder screws before you fill up the radiator.

ohh you might want to also check the air dam, there could be alot of rubbage there sometimes, like leaves, deadbugs etc... and clean it up.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

well, I did as Orion said and some bubbles did come out, but it's still overheating. I also think I put too much coolant into the radiator, as it is starting to spill out of my overflow. My car also sounds like a diesel now.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pocket rocket View Post
    I am not to sure but if u installed a new intake the air fuel ratio will change and it will run lean. The overheating might be another problem. Check your a/c does it work? I worked on my goat and pulled a wire next to the cooling system. thats my 2cents.
    A/F ratio is not gonna change that drastically with just an intake. Was it ported?? Def sounds like u gotta flush out the system. Try it and see if it works. Any lights commin on the dash? Are ur fans kicking in? Make sure there are no leaks. You know, i was once reading an article on LS2.com about a few guys who swapped out h/c on a ws6. The car kept overheating idling and driving in the city, but it ran fine on the highway. Does yours do this. It turns out that one of the hoses was put on backwards and thats what caused it. Ill try to find the thread if u want.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

yes my fans come on right when it goes past 210*. There are no lights coming on on the dash, and there are no leaks. I think there might be a vacuum leak in the intake and there is/was some air in the coolant.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

well, me and my brother got a crapload of bubbles to come out, and the car is sounding relatively normal again, and doesn't overheat while idling. We took the car around the block to see if it was fixed, and after about a mile the temperature started going up again, my brother gave it some gas to see if it would cool it off, but when he did so I could hear some whistling coming from the engine. we got it home with no problems, and now we think there's a vacuum leak in the manifold. We remember seeing a small gap in the gasket that goes between the top and bottom halves of the manifold. I'm going to have the car taken to the shop tomorrow hopefully to have it sealed up.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    well, me and my brother got a crapload of bubbles to come out, and the car is sounding relatively normal again, and doesn't overheat while idling. We took the car around the block to see if it was fixed, and after about a mile the temperature started going up again, my brother gave it some gas to see if it would cool it off, but when he did so I could hear some whistling coming from the engine. we got it home with no problems, and now we think there's a vacuum leak in the manifold. We remember seeing a small gap in the gasket that goes between the top and bottom halves of the manifold. I'm going to have the car taken to the shop tomorrow hopefully to have it sealed up.

that would cause the car to run bad, but the temp situation could be that some coolant lines that go into the heads are probably connected wrong, or not routed the right way, and that diesel sound is just piston slap, it goes away after a while.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

they didn't touch the heads, just replaced the vapor lines with LS6 ones.

Thread Information