2000 black T/A Vert
    Red 99 C5 Coupe sold

Started my new top install today!!!

My back window was coming loose at the top, and got hung up on the plastic coover over the seatbelt retractor and ripped it out. Didn't want to spend $500 labor to get a top installed, and th guy I sold my 94 Z vert to put on his own top, so I thought I could do it too.

I didn't get to work on it as long as I wanted today. I have the old top off and will start cleaning off old glue and the install of the new top tomorrow. I am taking pictures along the way to help others. This will be my first f-body, I have done two c4 Corvette tops a few years ago.
    The install is on a 2000 TA. If I don't get it finished tomorrow, I won't be able to work on it again until Friday.
    Shawn

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

show pix and give us a do's and don't's from your experience.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Good for you , finally someone with the stones to do it your self...kudos, please share so we can all do the deed too. Good Luck Bro! Post those pics too.
    Regards,
    Todd

#cajunhotrodder on instagram

2000 black T/A Vert
    Red 99 C5 Coupe sold

Update!

I haven't been able to work on the top as much as I wanted, but it is almost finished. I made one mistake in planning. I have never done a top that is connected in the back of the car, on the Vettes they connect to the frame and raise up with the frame. Anyway, I couldn't figure out how to mark the back of the top to staple it to the rear hoop.
    I should have laid the old top over the new one, and marked it before I started the install. I am doing it the hard way, but it is working.
    Other than that is is not hard to install. I attached it to the points behind the side windows, because if you look on your vert, the seam lines up right on the edge. I figured if this was lined up, the rest would fall into place.

The rear window slides in a groove at the top and staples on the bottom. If I had marked it on the old one, this would have been fast. The top staples to the rear bow, and glues to the middle two bows. There is a flap that wraps around the bow and you glue it down and the clip the headliner over it. The front of the top flaps over and is glued dow, then the metal plate is screwed down over the top of it.
    This leaves the rear of the top. There is a frame that bolts around the entire rear of the of the car to hold the top. you must measure the new top to the old one, so you don't get into a mess like i did. this is held on by several nuts, as the studs are attached to the car. It is not a terribly difficult thing, I think I could do another one much quicker now.
    One thing I did notice, the top is a little to one side. The back window is centred, but I can see more of the rear defogger on the passenger side then on the driver side. I think i can fix it before I finish the rear staples.
    I took a lot of pictures of the disassembly process, and some of the reassembly. If anyone is interested, I will post some when I am finished. I am going to work on it tomorrow night.
    I have about 12 hours into it. this would be cut in half had I measured the tops together first.
    Hope this helps.
    More to come.
    Shawn

Bright Red

Thumbs up

Thanks Shawn and post your pics when you can, thanks!!!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

You are brave man! It is interesting to hear how this is going. Thanks for posting your experiences with it, and I hope you get a nice final result.

Bright Red

I just got my new replacment black top in today, cant wait to see how yours comes out. when you lay it all out it really does'nt look too complicated.

2000 black T/A Vert
    Red 99 C5 Coupe sold

99cajun,
    It really isn't bad, then it is bad. I am almost finished with mine, it is in my dad's shop which is 30 miles away, so I don't get over there as often as I would like to, to work on it. I hope to finish this coming week.
    I can tell it is not going to be totally perfect, but I am kind of a perfectioninst when I am working on something. I have some wrinkles above the side windows, that I don't see how I can get out. I didn't correct the back window of being able to see more of the defroster on one side than the other, but overall I should be happy with it.

I would do it again, because like I said earlier, if I would have laid it out and marked it with the old top, it would have been 100 times easier.
    I will help try to keep others from making my mistakes, and give any isight I can. hopefully by next weekend, I will have my pics posted.
    Sorry for the delay, my projects take a long time. I painted my wife's MG over Christmas and still need to put on the fiall coats of clear and buff it.
    Too many projects.
    Shawn

red
    1999 trans am convert

I had a new top installed on my last 'vert and there were wrinkles that smoothed out in time once the car was in the sun.Maybe that will help.Looking forward to seeing pics...it's kinda hard to visualize from the description.Good Luck!

2000 black T/A Vert
    Red 99 C5 Coupe sold

top is finished. It is raining here. I hope to get pics by Saturday or Sunday.
    I am happy with it. I will try to show any problem areas with the pics.
    I am glad it is over.
    Shawn

Bright Red

Kudos Shawn, We dropped ours off to the shop this morning, black top to follow, wish me luck. I hate leaving my car anywhere to get it worked on...

Thread Information