Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

LS6 Motor, Part #89017653

I just read all the posts from the previous thread about installing an LS6 from Crate engine Depot.com. I have a 98 Z28 and my LS1 needs rebuilt or replaced. Could someone explain to me exactly what I would need to do to install this motor in my car. $2999 sounds like a great deal unless I need to buy alot of extra stuff. I'm not looking to do anything crazy right now, the 400hp ould be plenty. Also, is the factory transmission and rear end able to handle the added HP? Thanks for your time and advise.

Dennis

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by dltyson View Post
    I just read all the posts from the previous thread about installing an LS6 from Crate engine Depot.com. I have a 98 Z28 and my LS1 needs rebuilt or replaced. Could someone explain to me exactly what I would need to do to install this motor in my car. $2999 sounds like a great deal unless I need to buy alot of extra stuff. I'm not looking to do anything crazy right now, the 400hp ould be plenty. Also, is the factory transmission and rear end able to handle the added HP? Thanks for your time and advise.

Dennis

Basically its not your normal turn key motor, meaing you will need to swap your intake, tb, everything on top of intake(fuel rail's ect), water pump, coils, exhuast manifolds, most of your sensors off your old engine. Other than swaping those parts(there may be a few i missed) it will drop right in.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs

Sold 01 z28

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Thanks, that doesn't sound to bad. So the intake and exhaust manifolds bolt right up the same as the old engine? Anything else I should watch out for if I do the swap?

Also, does anyone know if I install it myself if it viods the warranty? The web site made it sound like it needs to be installed at a GM shop.

Thanks again for th help.
    Dennis

Black
    2005 GTO

Really just basice knoledge and some tools and you should have no problems. As far as I know everything will bolt up with no surprises its basically and ls1 with different cam and heads. It should not void the warranty if you install it. The motor is fully assembled so theres not much you could screw up.

Medium Blue Metallic
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

I was looking at the same engine. Does it include the LS6 valley cover for the better PCV system? LS6 timing chain and oil pump?

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 99bluebird View Post
    I was looking at the same engine. Does it include the LS6 valley cover for the better PCV system? LS6 timing chain and oil pump?
    bump, i'm interested in knowing too

Medium Blue Metallic
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

I heard from someone that it does come with the LS6 oil pump, but that the LS6 timing chain was the same as the LS1 timing chain. Still not sure about the valley cover, but I expect it would include it since the front cover looks to be included. However we would still need the LS6 PCV tubing and valve. An Ls2 timing chain would probably be a good idea too. Not sure if it would be worth replacing the LS6 oil pump with a ported LS6 or a melling, any ideas?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by dltyson View Post
    Thanks, that doesn't sound to bad. So the intake and exhaust manifolds bolt right up the same as the old engine? Anything else I should watch out for if I do the swap?

Also, does anyone know if I install it myself if it viods the warranty? The web site made it sound like it needs to be installed at a GM shop.

Thanks again for th help.
    Dennis
    The engine does need to be installed at a GM dealer to carry the warranty. Otherwise you just get part warranty which isnt anything special considering its a full engine. Your next step is to find a good dealer that will do it. I know at my dealer, we are choosy about stuff like that because of the possible fab work that needs to be done, but if it is a direct bolt in, I say do it up!

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Black
    1999 Trans am

I am also interested

some one post a link for crate engine depot please

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by texasdogman View Post
    some one post a link for crate engine depot please
    They changed the price. It is now $3,229.16. Still a great deal

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...3-P1625C0.aspx

Hmmm, I'm not so sure. Thats starting to get pricey for a completely stripped down motor.

Medium Blue Metallic
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

I just completed the install of this engine. Please note that:
    The pulley must be changed
    The oil pan hangs .75" below the K member, should probably swap in an Fbody pan
    Does not come with the LS6 coolant crossover lines
    The dipstick from your LS1 will not read correctly in the deeper CTSV oil pan, so again put on the F body oil pan

Otherwise this engine started right up, runs perfect, doesn't burn an oil!
    Glad I got one at the 2999 price but its still a good deal. Shipping on mine was 250 with a liftgate truck.

Medium Blue Metallic
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Also for anyone interested, here are the engine specs:
    2002+ LS6 cam
    204/218 int/exh @ 0.05" duration
    0.551" / 0.547" int/exh lift
    117 LSA

Stock LS6 Heads
    Chamber 64.45 cc 0.100 0.200 0.300 0.400 0.500 0.550 0.600
    Intake 210 cc 62 126 184 224 251 256 257
    Exhaust 75 cc 57 108 143 163 176 180 183
    Valve Diameter Intake 2.00"
    Valve Diameter Exhaust 1.55"
    Part Number 12564243 (2001 +)
    LS6 valves are 0.6mm or 0.023622" longer, hollow stem intake, and hollow stem sodium filled exhaust valves.

LS6: intake = 73 grams, exhaust = 65 grams

This adds up to a 10.5:1 compression ratio instead of the LS1 10.1:1. Still low enough you can get by on 91 octane though if 93 isnt available.

Blue
    1998 Camaro

Thumbs up Ls6

I will sell you my long block LS6 for $4000. It's an LS6 with 10,000 miles on it, its got a new comp cam 220/220 114 (smog legal) new LS2 springs comp push rods, comp cams roller rockers, etc. email if interested. i can send photos. I have pretty much everything you need to swap an LS6 into a 1998 Camaro including all the bolts and gaskets (not included in deal.) email me at tizigger@gmail.com if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by 99bluebird View Post
    I just completed the install of this engine. Please note that:
    The pulley must be changed
    The oil pan hangs .75" below the K member, should probably swap in an Fbody pan
    Does not come with the LS6 coolant crossover lines
    The dipstick from your LS1 will not read correctly in the deeper CTSV oil pan, so again put on the F body oil pan

Otherwise this engine started right up, runs perfect, doesn't burn an oil!
    Glad I got one at the 2999 price but its still a good deal. Shipping on mine was 250 with a liftgate truck.
    Focussing on the oil pan comments......

I like the idea that the pan hangs an extra 3/4 inch. Not really enough in my case to affect any ground clearance problems.
    So are you saying this oil pan has more oil capacity????

If the LS1 dipstick reads incorrect with this pan,,,,,then why not stop at GM and pickup a new CTS-V dipstick to coincide with the CTS-V pan?????

It would seem to me to be a much simpler solution rather than switching out the entire pan.... Dipsticks don't cost that much.

Black
    1999 Trans am

So what all would I need to install the ls6 crate motor into my 99 transam? What all sensors does the engine come with and the ones it doesn't will the ones off of my ls1 work? Will all of my wireing harness just plug in? I am guessing that the crank pulley has to be changed is that the pulley you guys are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdogman View Post
    So what all would I need to install the ls6 crate motor into my 99 transam? What all sensors does the engine come with and the ones it doesn't will the ones off of my ls1 work? Will all of my wireing harness just plug in? I am guessing that the crank pulley has to be changed is that the pulley you guys are talking about?
    The motor comes with bascially nothing. No sensors, no intake, a CTS-v oil pan which is up to you whether you want to change or not is what I am gathering here.

You basically get a block with heads and an oil pan. You literally have to strip your LS1 and bolt everything up. Yes everything will transfer right over.
    But since they are raising the price, and who knows what it will be in the next six months,,,,now I have to take a long hard look at it,,,to me it's starting to get pricey for what ya get. Especially when you consider for just over $4,000 you can have the same motor complete with intake, sensors, computer, and the entire wiring harness.

If I'm going to spend $3,300 for a bare bones long block and still only have 346 cubes,,,, I may as well just go ahead and spend in the neighborhood of $4,000 and start with an iron 6.0 block and build a stroker with more cubes. Thats how I look at it.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 03-08-2008 at 10:45 AM.

Thread Information