414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Good mods for those who daily drive their Camaro/Firebird

It seems like most of the reviews are for hp/tq gains, so I figured I'd throw a thread out there for those who daily drive their car and are looking to make that ride more comfortable.

1. The mod that made the BIGGEST diff. for my DD duties was a set of Bilstein HD shocks. UNBELIEVABLE the diff these shocks made over the piece of shit stockers. Cornering, straight driving, hitting any little bump in the road you name it they made a diff. Pricey at $350 for the shocks and around $150 for the install, but well worth it to improve the ride quality.

2. SFC. These are a great mod no matter what you use the car for, they helped eliminate a majority of the squeeks and rattles that are notorious in our cars. The car was also sturdier when changing lanes and things like that.

3. LSS, or any short throw shifter. I got my LSS for $50, then found out you can buy one on Ebay for less then $27, oh well live and learn I guess. The stock shifter was tall and clunky and made shifting a chore. The LSS let's me shift with literally a flick of the wrist, no arm movement at all.

It's only a few, but they make a big difference and make driving more comfy. Hope this helps.

WS SICK
    Where Did You Buy The Shocks? I Need Some If They Really Help. I Drive Mine To Work Every Day And The Shitty Roads Here Are Killin Me

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Any mod is good. Mine is a daily driver.
    3 inch Chambered Catback.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Contact Sam Strano at Strano Auto, he sells the shocks pretty cheap around $329 I think, Ebay also has them and they ARE worth every penny

Black
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711 View Post
    1. The mod that made the BIGGEST diff. for my DD duties was a set of Bilstein HD shocks. UNBELIEVABLE the diff these shocks made over the piece of shit stockers. Cornering, straight driving, hitting any little bump in the road you name it they made a diff. Pricey at $350 for the shocks and around $150 for the install, but well worth it to improve the ride quality.
    I agree!!!

When I did the Bilstein HD shocks install, I brought 1LE springs (360 lb/in) for the front.
    A few years later and out of college and I'm working fulltime now, I'm getting tired of the stiff suspension and now I'm putting in 290 lb/in springs which is stock on the 2000 + SS.

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

Those Blistein Hd shocks gonna help ur 1/4 mile times or u need to get adjustables?

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Great Thread! this info is a great help!
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

yea i'm considering some new shocks. when i run over a penny in my car i can tell whether its heads or tails side up.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 TA

I did Bilstein SLP shocks. I like them fine and they don't make the car ride horribly rough. I have Firehawk springs so the shocks and springs are designed to go together.

The fronts are leaking after about 75k miles, though and I need to get the front wones sent in for a free rebuild - only it is my daily driver and I can't afford to be without it so it may be a while before I get the fronts fixed.

Regards,

Darden

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Bilsteins are awesome! Especially with a good set of springs. My 97SS came with the Bilsteins and SLP springs. When I compare the SS setup to my 98Z28's deCarbons and stock springs, well, I guess they don't compare! The 98 is all over the place when accelerating and hard cornering. The Bilstein setup is the perfect balance! STIFF and SMOOTH!

Bright Rally Red
    1996 Camaro SS

Another great mod is upgrading your brakes. Changing from a std pad to say a Hawk. also slotted and cross drilled rotors.

--------- Chris - 1996 Camaro Z28SS #1524 ---------
    LT4 Cam Kit | Comp Lifters/PR's | Jet Hot LT's & ORY | Corsa RSC Exhaust | SLP Bilstiens | S-C/D Rotors | 1LE Elbow | !EGR/AIR
    madZ tune | 17x11 Chrome ZR-1's | Berger Panel | Fillins | BMR STB | Autometer A/F & Trans Temp | !Mouldings | Zaino

Thread Information