Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M3

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

My buddy down in Florida (when I lived there) has a nice silver, vert M3. I like it, it's a nice car. The leather inside is nice, but it isn't THAT much nicer and the interior isn't as amazing as the Euro guys play them up as, but still a great car. Used and from the same year (2002 or so) they aren't THAT much difference in price really. I think he paid less for his M3 than I did my WS6.

They handle good, but the verts are really, really heavy (heavier than our cars). You can make a F-body handle too though, but I'm sure everyone here knows that already so I'll just shut up.

Point being, no need for anyone to diss an M3. May not be your cup of tea, but it's a quality car and I wouldn't mind having one as a DD or something.

White
    1999 e36 M

Quote Originally Posted by baseballguy View Post
    Yesterday when I left work for lunch, I was about to get on the freeway, when a newer... (05 or 06??) M3 was right beside me. Looked at each other, then looked at the light. As soon as the light went green we both took off. I launch decently, had to let off a little to get traction, once it hooked up, I punched it again and started to spin them a little... threw it in second, and by now I had put 2 cars on him. We finally slowed down, only because we had to, there was slower traffic in front of us, seeing how it is downtown san jose.

I know it wasnt much of a kill, but the guy was cool about it, he drove by me and gave me a thumbs up.

Stock for stock, about what I would expect until you get deep into triple digits.

White
    2001 Camaro SS & 2007 R6

Quote Originally Posted by e36m3 View Post
    Stock for stock, about what I would expect until you get deep into triple digits.
    In triple digits... what would you expect? You think that the M3 would be able to make up the ground that I would have put on it until then?

Quote Originally Posted by 99 Kobra View Post
    Actually, the M3 costs more because it is a much better car overall than an American muscle car. Believe it or not, straight line acceleration times are not the most important thing to most car buyers. Why do you think Mustangs killed the GM muscle cars (Camaro/Firebird) in sales volume. It sure wasn't because Mustangs were faster in a straight line, because most of them weren't.

That's not 100% true you pay a lot of extra $$$ to have that symbol on your car. The overall quality and components used do not add up to the overall price difference. Give me a low mile ls1 and the price difference and I'll build a car that out performs a BMW in everyway.

The reason why mustangs out sold Firebirds/Camaros had nothing to do with them being a better car. It's the fact Mustangs have always been more popular and ford did a better job marketing them. The quality and performance of an f-body LS1 is better in every aspect then a mustang with the exception for the 03/04 cobras.

I'm not bashing BMWs i've driven plenty of them from 3s, 5s, 7s and Ms. I find them to be great driving cars but a little heavy and under powered. IMO even the Ms are unpowered considering their cost.

White
    1999 e36 M

Quote Originally Posted by baseballguy View Post
    In triple digits... what would you expect? You think that the M3 would be able to make up the ground that I would have put on it until then?

I’ve had a lot of seat time in the e46 M and driven a 01 SS. Both are great cars but very different. I have a lot of respect for that LS1 motor and the low-end torque is great.

The camaro has more of a usable power band; the M3 has to be rung-out hard (333 hp @7900 RPM) all the power is made up top. Its not a matter of making up ground as much as the M3 is coming into its element. In a stock for stock all out races the SS will be the faster car until around 150 or so. At that point the M will reel him in and walk away. Not because it’s a “better car” its because it was designed to maintain high speeds for a long duration of time, It’s an Autobahn machine. 333hp 7900 RPM 3:62 gears.

E46 M pulls to 8k in every gear, it basically come down to which car runs out of breath first…

By the way, I wouldn’t mind dropping that LS1 motor in my e36 M with some bolt-ons.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by e36m3 View Post
    In a stock for stock all out races the SS will be the faster car until around 150 or so.
    but isnt the e46 m3 speed limited at 155mph?

White
    1999 e36 M

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    but isnt the e46 m3 speed limited at 155mph?
    Yeah, your right. At 155 the fuel pump shuts off, I guess Im kinda referring to all things being equal. No bolt-ons, forced induction, gears, etc.

White
    2001 Camaro SS & 2007 R6

Ya ill keep my SS...

If i want to go faster, ill take the R6!!

Thread Information