Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Internet Police

Black
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_kills_WS6 View Post
    When talking about racing cars, everything has to be looked at in a perfect world. A Mach 1 preforming flawlessly against an LS1 in the same note. In that sense, there should be no descrepancy. However, its not a perfect world and driver error goes along with that. I can't speak for all LS1's, but I can for myself. TrickStang says he runs the quarter in 12.8........What the hell is that? That's it? My busted-ass 98 TA can run 13 flat. I run a 12.67 in the 1/4 in my WS6, and that's pretty much stock. Don't think that's all that great. Is my car a factory freak?? Or am I a decent driver? Who knows...
    haha i only have one half decent run in my car with this set up, its not actually optimized for drag racing. im running 700# springs in the front and back = ZERO weight transfer. I don't have wheel hop now tho, but it is really tough to launch even with 315's in the back. 2nd gear i can just mash it though.

basically, i CANT run ANY slower than 12.8 no matter how bad i butcher the launch, unless i miss a gear.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Bob, that is about the quickest I've heard of a cobra going, a little faster than I've heard of a Mach 1 going, and the fastest one I've heard of for any LS1, as well. I think that it's a very fair comparison of the difference that one should see between the three examples on a given day. Of course given driver, and option differences the races can vary. For example a crap driver in a vert Cobra might get upset by a good driver in an M6 1LE Camaro. For the most part though, I believe that on the street the 2 or so tenths of a second difference between a Mach1 and an LS1 makes for a great example of a "driver's" race.

The guy running a 12.67 in an LS1 that is "pretty much stock" is obviously not bone-stock. And given that on street tires my vette cut a low 2.0 or high 1.9x 60' time and then went on to run a 13.2 in high DA conditions, I think with a set of stickies out back it's conceivable to run a 12.67 without any other modifications. I don't think that there's any reason to think that vettes have a major advantage over a minimally optioned LS1 camaro or transam, especially one with the LS6 intake. So, I'm guessing that the guy's got sticky tires, and/or a couple of basic bolt-ons. All of which will be told when he posts a timeslip....if he posts one.

Chris

Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

Ok, I screwed up. My 1/4 time was actually 12.761, not 12.67. That's my fault.
    I'll post it as soon as I can get it scanned. Here's the numbers:

R/T: .078
    60' : 1.806
    1/8: 8.233 @ 88.48 MPH
    1/4: 12.76 @ 113.09 MPH

This is with a 2002 TA WS6 M6. I have an SLP CAI, SLP MAF, Borla Catback. 93 octane and on street tires. I did not buy this car brand new, so its possible something has been done that I don't know about. However, I can tell nothing out of the ordinary and believe the gearing is still the same. It's the quickest time I've ever run in it, both the quarter and the 1/8th. I'll post the slip as soon as I can. Anyone have any explanations???

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Explanation for what?

Anyway, would like to see the timeslip. When did you run that ET? It would be interesting to compare it to your "best" 1/8th mile of 8.432 @ 86mph.

10's N/A

Thumbs down

I have no reason to lie. What should it do in the 1/8? I have a cold air kit and an SLP maf, catback. That's the fastest its ever ran. Consistently runs between 12.7-12.8. Don't be a hater...
    O.k. guys, let's use our brains here. What's not logical about Speed_Kills_WS6
    turning 12.7-12.8's in the quarter with just a couple mods, if Evan Smith wen't 12'8 bone-stock? Some of you guys make practically no sense. Are you guys calling Evan Smith a liar, or just Speed_kills? If Evan got 12.80's, with driving skills alike and a few more mods mid 12's is absolutely accessible. To much jockin' the stang bangers, and not enuff f-body support around here.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Yeah I know. I remember when I wen't 13.4 in my last car ('93 Firehawk M6) I had guys doubting me left and right. People can be funny at times.

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    O.k. guys, let's use our brains here. What's not logical about Speed_Kills_WS6
    turning 12.7-12.8's in the quarter with just a couple mods, if Evan Smith wen't 12'8 bone-stock? Some of you guys make practically no sense. Are you guys calling Evan Smith a liar, or just Speed_kills? If Evan got 12.80's, with driving skills alike and a few more mods mid 12's is absolutely accessible. To much jockin' the stang bangers, and not enuff f-body support around here.
    finally someone makes sense
    all these stang bangers would like to believe that there car is just totally dominating out of the factory but in truth even the supercharged ones still have there handsfull with a f-body and a gm 8 cylinder naturally aspirated motor

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

praise for the general anyone

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by dpinson View Post
    praise for the general anyone
    AMEN.

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

amen

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

My 99 T/A went 12.8 with very few mods after only a couple of times at the track. Disputing whether or not an LS1 with a few bolt-ons can run 12.7 (or better) is not what I am doing. Can't speak for others, though.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    My 99 T/A went 12.8 with very few mods after only a couple of times at the track. Disputing whether or not an LS1 with a few bolt-ons can run 12.7 (or better) is not what I am doing. Can't speak for others, though.
    So then...What are you doing? For some odd reason, your comments always seem to veir towards the left???

Internet Police

Black
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Ok, I screwed up. My 1/4 time was actually 12.761, not 12.67. That's my fault.
    I'll post it as soon as I can get it scanned. Here's the numbers:

R/T: .078
    60' : 1.806
    1/8: 8.233 @ 88.48 MPH
    1/4: 12.76 @ 113.09 MPH

This is with a 2002 TA WS6 M6. I have an SLP CAI, SLP MAF, Borla Catback. 93 octane and on street tires. I did not buy this car brand new, so its possible something has been done that I don't know about. However, I can tell nothing out of the ordinary and believe the gearing is still the same. It's the quickest time I've ever run in it, both the quarter and the 1/8th. I'll post the slip as soon as I can. Anyone have any explanations???
    you consistantly pull 1.80's with street tires? that must be one heavily prepped track. where i've gone (sac) they dont do any sort of track prep whatsoever and its not uncommon for people to just drive through the water boxes when they dont know what they're doing and puddle up the staging area. this is on wed. nights btw.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by TrickStang37 View Post
    you consistantly pull 1.80's with street tires? that must be one heavily prepped track. where i've gone (sac) they dont do any sort of track prep whatsoever and its not uncommon for people to just drive through the water boxes when they dont know what they're doing and puddle up the staging area. this is on wed. nights btw.
    1.8 on street tires.. with an M6... hes a hell of a driver..

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    So then...What are you doing? For some odd reason, your comments always seem to veir towards the left???
    Actually, I veir (sic) towards the right.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

well in some support for my fellow f body bros, my car go's consistent 1.,89 60's with toyo proxes t1r tires, m6 btw, kinda funny you say one hell of a driver, i consider myself good at the wheel, but by no means a legend, and when my paper air filter slp ss went 12.89 at 109 my freinds shit some bricks, its possible ive done it on a less than great track, my best 1/8 mile time is 8.33 of course this is on the best 1/8 mile track around. when i ran my 12 it was a 8.39 1/8.

i dont know if this matters to some but i have 295 tires out back which could be considered not stock anymore but i think having the big 18's up front doesnt help my et any either lol

oh also keep in mind my car came with the slp blackwing intake, different exhaust and supposedly a different tune.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

113 is a damn strong running car and a 1.80 on street tires in a RWD platform is an exceptional launch - I've never seen one stronger unless by "street tires" he means "street legal" drag radials.

Also I think you guys are getting to defensive. I didn't see anyone trying to disqualify his time. It's certainly possible.

Showing the timeslip gives us an idea of where the time is coming from i.e. the launch and front end of the track or the power made throughout. 1.80 on actual street non-drag-radial tires is something I'd rather not believe until I see. Other than that, I can certainly believe that a good driver can accomplish the times he gave. My '97 M6 vette, for example, showed me 108mph traps in decent but not ideal conditions. I think that '01+ LS1s were making about 10-15 more rwhp so I can see a stock LS1 F-body or vette going as much as 111mph through the traps stock and a couple of bolt-ons would certainly give it the extra power needed to run 113.

Other than the street tire thing and the probability of all of the right conditions coming together, I don't see why the time couldn't be run.

Still, if you gullibly believe what you are told on the internet, the vast majority of people here drive like Evan Smith, and have a car that runs at the realm of possibility. If you're less gullible then you realize that what you hear on the internet happens far to frequently to actually be possible. Then you'll be in my camp where you believe unlikely things when you see them, but not when someone is bragging or trumping someone else. In those types of situations the truth is increasingly likely to be exaggerated or distorted.

Just me,

Chris

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

i wasnt making fun.. and i didnt call him a legend....... thats some damn good driving..

as to the other one.. you have what?? ls6 intake.. that tune. some exhaust....?? 8.3 is expected... not suprising..

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    i wasnt making fun.. and i didnt call him a legend....... thats some damn good driving..

as to the other one.. you have what?? ls6 intake.. that tune. some exhaust....?? 8.3 is expected... not suprising..
    lol, wow, well this is the other one talking, my car is bone stock from the factory, some say the exhaust is different, i beg the differ and it has a tune, that is neither here nor there, i havent confirmed this with dave hamburger yet, and an ls6 is stock as you know, an 8.3 for a stock m6 is hardly expected, but rare, lol thats like saying 12 sec passes are common place for a stock f body,

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    lol, wow, well this is the other one talking, my car is bone stock from the factory, some say the exhaust is different, i beg the differ and it has a tune, that is neither here nor there, i havent confirmed this with dave hamburger yet, and an ls6 is stock as you know, an 8.3 for a stock m6 is hardly expected, but rare, lol thats like saying 12 sec passes are common place for a stock f body,
    alright... well you understand what i was saying.. i ran an 8.4 in a 98.. so newer.. with a few more goodies. maybe not expected.. but.. more believeable than a 98 doing it.. anyways.. good times either way....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information