Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Quote Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
    Basically it is the law enforcement throwing up there hands and saying -- well we can't deter people from racing. At least we can give you a "semi" structured place to do it. Where regular commuters are not around.
    Exactly! What part of that argument is flawed? They can't deter people from racing, and a structured environment where regular commuters are not around would be better than an unstructured one, would it not?

That is like saying-- well we can't stop dope dealers, so we offer a street corner that is designated for slingin' rock or weed or whatever.
    Well, actually smoking/selling dope is illegal pretty much anywhere. But that would be more closely related if you were to say that it's like slingin' week from behind the counter of a pharmacy in california where medical weed is legal. Similarly, the activity itself is not illegal, and if you happen to own your own road on private property, police officers can't do a damn thing to you if you want to drag race out there (assuming that you're not violating some other noise ordinance).

That's why it's perfectly legal to drag race at tracks. Likewise, it would be legal to do it if it were sanctioned by a town on a road/ airfield or whatever. It's not performing an illegal activity, and I think you're drawing at straws trying to make it seem as if the activity itself were somehow immoral. It's not. Don't take it so personally, and try to think outside the box to fix the problem. Yelling loudly at the top of your lungs, "Take it to track," just isn't going to get the job done.

Chris

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post
    Exactly! What part of that argument is flawed? They can't deter people from racing, and a structured environment where regular commuters are not around would be better than an unstructured one, would it not?

That's why it's perfectly legal to drag race at tracks. Likewise, it would be legal to do it if it were sanctioned by a town on a road/ airfield or whatever. It's not performing an illegal activity, and I think you're drawing at straws trying to make it seem as if the activity itself were somehow immoral. It's not. Don't take it so personally, and try to think outside the box to fix the problem. Yelling loudly at the top of your lungs, "Take it to track," just isn't going to get the job done.

Chris
    I think you got me wrong man.. I am not a track fanatic. I have done my share of street racing. I enjoy it..

I was actually saying- Either on this thread, or another threat in AAG section--- I don't think the street racers should be charged with anything do with those people who died.

BTW.. -- All laws aren't moral based, Some are based off of safety. Jaywalking isn't immoral by any stretch of the imagination, But you can be sited for it, because it isn't a safe thing to do.. Sure 99 times out of 100 jaywalking is not going to be a problem. But the law is put in place for one reason, that 1% of the time, that people hit people in the street, Or a car swerves to miss you, and ends up killing themselves or injuring themselves to keep from hitting you.

Street racing isn't a moral issue in my opinion at all. It is a safety issue.

I know it sounds dumb, but I think on the rare occasion that I street race, i feel like I am extra careful, and smart about it. I still break the law, because the speeds that I reach are consider less safe for the roads and its posted speed limits. But I don't feel like I have morally done something wrong.

Bottom line!---I don't like the cops giving into illegal activity just because it is growing in popularity.

If a street is 40 MPH-- but everyone flys down it.. Does that mean the city should change it to 60mph? No-- Speedlimits are set based off of traffic flow, turn offs, traffic lights, stop signs, curves, road width, and other factors. just because people decide to speed doesn't mean the city should raise the limits.

A one time-- event-- Come out, there will be vendors and EMT and tee shirt sales, and raise some money for the a good cause and allow some street racing-- that is cool with me.

But to have a designated spot on a regular basis that seems wrong to me. And the only reason you have it, is so that they don't break the law else where is absurd to me.

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

Consider me cold, but I don't feel all that bad about this. I mean yeah it sucks. But
    if you are stupid enough to stand in the middle of the road, not look behind you, and it is pitch black out side. You don't have the right to be surprised when you get run over.

I want to know who's insurance is going to pay for the crown vic. Not to mention, who is going to pay for the guys therapy sessions. I'm sure he is now mentaly fucked. His life is now ruined. I don't know if most people could mentaly handle running over 8 people, one of which ends up dead in their passenger seat.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Quote Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
    I think you got me wrong man.. I am not a track fanatic. I have done my share of street racing. I enjoy it..

I was actually saying- Either on this thread, or another threat in AAG section--- I don't think the street racers should be charged with anything do with those people who died.

BTW.. -- All laws aren't moral based, Some are based off of safety. Jaywalking isn't immoral by any stretch of the imagination, But you can be sited for it, because it isn't a safe thing to do.. Sure 99 times out of 100 jaywalking is not going to be a problem. But the law is put in place for one reason, that 1% of the time, that people hit people in the street, Or a car swerves to miss you, and ends up killing themselves or injuring themselves to keep from hitting you.

Street racing isn't a moral issue in my opinion at all. It is a safety issue.

I know it sounds dumb, but I think on the rare occasion that I street race, i feel like I am extra careful, and smart about it. I still break the law, because the speeds that I reach are consider less safe for the roads and its posted speed limits. But I don't feel like I have morally done something wrong.

Bottom line!---I don't like the cops giving into illegal activity just because it is growing in popularity.

If a street is 40 MPH-- but everyone flys down it.. Does that mean the city should change it to 60mph? No-- Speedlimits are set based off of traffic flow, turn offs, traffic lights, stop signs, curves, road width, and other factors. just because people decide to speed doesn't mean the city should raise the limits.

A one time-- event-- Come out, there will be vendors and EMT and tee shirt sales, and raise some money for the a good cause and allow some street racing-- that is cool with me.

But to have a designated spot on a regular basis that seems wrong to me. And the only reason you have it, is so that they don't break the law else where is absurd to me.
    I've got to hand it to you. That was well thought out, articulate, and eloquent. I understand your point of view, and see that it is quite rational. I just differ in my opinion because the only thing that matters to me is if it works.

If by allowing a such a place means that kids are less inclined to do it in the wrong places and the wrong times then it is a good idea. Though I can't show you data that confirms that the idea saves lives, but if I could surely you wouldn't deny that it is a good idea just because they are allowing what would otherwise be illegal activity. Similarly, I wouldn't deny that if it actually turned out to encourage more illegal street racing then it would be a bad idea.

It's ok though, we don't all have to agree about everything.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Arnold; 03-04-2008 at 09:38 PM.

Thread Information