Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Pewter
    2000 Z28

It's not a fight. Just a discussion about cars. As for those numbers, where do they come from?
    FOR SALE 2000 Z28 M6
    It's pretty much Raw Awesome

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by buswwa View Post
    It's not a fight. Just a discussion about cars. As for those numbers, where do they come from?
    It came from the ultimate bench racer internet gospel lol. Pretty good site.

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html

Boosting Daily

Tarmac Black
    05 Evo VIII

I don't know where the #'s of a STi having only 230awhp came from.. but that's a little off man being totally honest. Just about all Evo's & STi's dyno in, in stock form between 260-265whp on a dynojet..
    We aren't here to have a pissing contest or the foreign vs. domestic.. 4 banger vs. no replacement for displacement.
    What we are doing is simply discussing in a civil manor (at least some of us) about cars in general.

Now let's state the facts between the stock Evo/STi & the LS1 (f-body)
    1/4 mile: Basically it's a drivers race all stock, they're going to hit the finish nearly dead even.

5-60: There's no way to get around it, the only way the Evo or Sti will win is if (let say there's 3 honks) on the 2nd honk they press in the clutch rev to 5-6k and launch from a very low roll.. if it was just a 5mph punch, the LS1 would have a car length lead before either turbo 4 cylinder started building boost.

from a 40 roll: The LS1 will simply out pull the Evo or STi by around 2 cars to 100 depending if either the Evo/STi were brake boosting.. if not, it could be worse.

On the track: Whether it be a road course, twisties, auto-x... The Evo & STi win hands down. And yes I do agree, put a little money into the suspension and tires of the F-Body and it will corner with a STOCK Evo or STi.. Put some money in a simple tire up-grade on the Evo or STi.. and all the money spent on making the F-Body keep up with a STOCK Evo or STi, is now basically waisted.

But all in all, what all of us are basically doing is bench racing.. Cause if I had the money to do the tests for real facts I would in stock form.. Then up-grade one to catch the other in handling.. the up-grade the other to match them in power.. and go back and forth..
    But like I just said.. all we're doing right now is bench racing.. plain and simple.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63inside View Post
    I don't know where the #'s of a STi having only 230awhp came from.. but that's a little off man being totally honest. Just about all Evo's & STi's dyno in, in stock form between 260-265whp on a dynojet..
    No, they don't put that much power down stock. Thats why they are almost dead even with 99-04 Mustang GT's and Dodge SRT-4's from a roll, because they all put down about 230WHP. Highest I've ever seen documented was 235WHP. Thats common for those cars. Factor in the drivetrain loss from AWD, and it comes out to around 230-240WHP. I don't know where you're pulling those numbers from.

1/4 mile: Basically it's a drivers race all stock, they're going to hit the finish nearly dead even.
    Thats only if the STI or Evo get s PERFECT launch. Meaning a clutch frying, drivetrain abusive 6,000RPM clutch drop. Most people don't like replacing clutches as often as they change their oil, so most owners aren't gong to do that. So the STI and Evo have the capabilty to match the LS1 in 1/4 mile time, but only when pushed to their hardest. LS1's will run low 13's all day long by feathering the clutch off the line at 2500RPM.

from a 40 roll: The LS1 will simply out pull the Evo or STi by around 2 cars to 100 depending if either the Evo/STi were brake boosting.. if not, it could be worse.
    2 cars...more like 2 buslenghts. We're talking about a 70WHP difference, thats considerable. The STI I raced on the highway from an 80MPH roll was in my rearview within a matter of seconds. They have NO top end power.

On the track: Whether it be a road course, twisties, auto-x... The Evo & STi win hands down. And yes I do agree, put a little money into the suspension and tires of the F-Body and it will corner with a STOCK Evo or STi.. Put some money in a simple tire up-grade on the Evo or STi.. and all the money spent on making the F-Body keep up with a STOCK Evo or STi, is now basically waisted.
    Evos and STI's are already designed for handling from the factory, so any other handling mods aren't going to give the kind of results that they would by upgrading an F-body. Like I said, they are nothing more than econo sedan Lancers and Imprezas with handling upgrades. The F-body is a better chassis than either of those because its not derived from a cheap base model car, so with the right upgrades they will be just as quick around a track.

Pewter
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    It came from the ultimate bench racer internet gospel lol. Pretty good site.

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html

Cool site. But feel free to check out the STi times, You'll notice they are almost the same as the Cobra. It has the Cobra running one hundreth of a second quicker in the 1/4 mile. And the LS1 times. shame they only go up to 98 w/LS1's though. Im sure the 00'-02's would be more impressive.
    Last edited by buswwa; 02-15-2008 at 05:56 PM. Reason: driver error

Pewter
    2000 Z28

No, they dont.

5-60: There's no way to get around it, the only way the Evo or Sti will win is if (let say there's 3 honks) on the 2nd honk they press in the clutch rev to 5-6k and launch from a very low roll.. if it was just a 5mph punch, the LS1 would have a car length lead before either turbo 4 cylinder started building boost.

But all in all, what all of us are basically doing is bench racing.. Cause if I had the money to do the tests for real facts I would in stock form.. Then up-grade one to catch the other in handling.. the up-grade the other to match them in power.. and go back and forth..
    But like I just said.. all we're doing right now is bench racing.. plain and simple.
    Heres the question about those horsepower numbers. How is the Evo only losing 10 horsepower from crank to tires? They only have 275 horse. The dealership I work at is Suburban Subaru. We have two other dealerships on the same lot. Suburban Kia (dont look at me like that. I dont work there) and Suburban Mitsubishi. I have driven both the STi and the Evo back to back multiple times. The Evo is a rattlebox. And that was an MR. It's the closest thing to the STi due to the 6 speed and the terrain selection device for the drivetrain. It's kinda like an overgrown TCS. However, when driving the Evo, you have to flog the shit out of it to avoid horrendous turbo lag. Turbo spools around 4-4500 and possibly even higher, its been about a year since we had one. I will admit they are rare. Doesnt make em good. They dont have the weight distribution to hang with an STi. Transverse mounted engine= High center of gravity= Body roll. It also equals torque steer. This was a family sedan that was upgraded to reach a target audience. And yes, so was the STi. The Impreza came out in 92 I think. However, subaru had been building awd cars for about 30 years when they introduced the Impreza. They always used the Boxer engine. Mitsubishi has gone through how many engine designs? Subaru symetrical AWD is rated as one the best made today. Mitsubishi has one AWD car. All Subarus are AWD. Who had the edge?
    (dammit now I sound like a salesman......)

Now that is a book.

Boosting Daily

Tarmac Black
    05 Evo VIII

Mitsubishi introduced the 4G63 back in 1990 to 92.5 using the crankwalk prone 7-bolt, then from 92.5 to 98 using the up-graded 6-bolt motor. It has stayed the tried and true 4G63 motor with modifications and upgrades along the way, till this year with the introduction of the Evo X, now being a totally different engine, the 4B11 or something like that.
    As far as there be a lot of turbo lag in the Evo vs. STi department let's look at something real quick.
    2.0L with a decent sized turbo.. and I have no clue why your saying 4k rpms for boost on the stock turbo, a stock 2.0 motor with a GT35r turbo peak boost is achieved between 4500-5k rpms @ 23-25psi.
    The STi, has a 2.5L block (in america, japan still uses the 2.0) and a tiny turbo compared to the 16G of the Evo.. More displacement + smaller turbo = minimal turbo lag... but on the same note, it runs out of breath at higher speeds.

The 03 & 04 Evo VIII's came with a 9.8" hot side and put out 271HP. The 05' and up Evo's came with a upgraded 10.5" hot side which resulted in 286HP, and now have the ACD (what you call the overgrown TCS) on all models, not just the MR. Also in 06' the IX was introduced with the MIVEC, with a more aggressive cam profile.. Which is why generally Evo IX's dyno higher #'s than the VIII's when the same mods due to the larger stock cam.

Both are great cars I was choosing between the two, but I chose the Evo due to the heritage of the 4g63 and the ease of getting power from the engine. But I love the sound of the STi with a turbo-back exhaust and tune.

I'm currently at work and can't post any links but sometime tomorrow I should be able to post some dyno #'s of both cars in stock form.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Mitsubishi introduced the 4G63 back in 1990 to 92.5 using the crankwalk prone 7-bolt, then from 92.5 to 98 using the up-graded 6-bolt motor. It has stayed the tried and true 4G63 motor with modifications and upgrades along the way, till this year with the introduction of the Evo X, now being a totally different engine, the 4B11 or something like that.
    As far as there be a lot of turbo lag in the Evo vs. STi department let's look at something real quick.
    2.0L with a decent sized turbo.. and I have no clue why your saying 4k rpms for boost on the stock turbo, a stock 2.0 motor with a GT35r turbo peak boost is achieved between 4500-5k rpms @ 23-25psi.
    The STi, has a 2.5L block (in america, japan still uses the 2.0) and a tiny turbo compared to the 16G of the Evo.. More displacement + smaller turbo = minimal turbo lag... but on the same note, it runs out of breath at higher speeds.

The 03 & 04 Evo VIII's came with a 9.8" hot side and put out 271HP. The 05' and up Evo's came with a upgraded 10.5" hot side which resulted in 286HP, and now have the ACD (what you call the overgrown TCS) on all models, not just the MR. Also in 06' the IX was introduced with the MIVEC, with a more aggressive cam profile.. Which is why generally Evo IX's dyno higher #'s than the VIII's when the same mods due to the larger stock cam.

Both are great cars I was choosing between the two, but I chose the Evo due to the heritage of the 4g63 and the ease of getting power from the engine. But I love the sound of the STi with a turbo-back exhaust and tune.

I'm currently at work and can't post any links but sometime tomorrow I should be able to post some dyno #'s of both cars in stock form.
    Welcome aboard, I hope you stick around.

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    subaru sucks
    So does your mom!

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

you bunch of whiners. can't just stay on the original topic. have to go and ruin the thread with your crap. move on, or get banned.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information