Thread: 5.3-6.0 swap ?

5.3-6.0 swap ?

anyone swaped in a 6.0 longblock in a 5.3 truck. It seems pretty simple, so is it? I know the LQ motors have diff. ports .

Junior Member OklahomaMudSlinger's Avatar

Gray
    2004 Chevy z71

6.0 Swap???

Hey i just seen ur post on here about the 5.3L - 6.0L swap... i just blew up my 5.3 in my 04 silverado mudding sucked in water lost 3 cylinders... i was just wondering if u did the swap and how it come out??? any comments or tips would be helpful... i do work at a GM shop so i do know alot about the blocks, cams, heads, valves, intakes, and so on... im just not sure if my computer and maf sensor in my 5.3 will run the 6.0 and not be to lean with the fuel ratio mixture needed for the 6.0... thanks for your time!!!

Red
    2003 Silverado

Easy

[QUOTE=crawdad369;1276326]anyone swaped in a 6.0 longblock in a 5.3 truck. It seems pretty simple, so is it? I know the LQ motors have diff. ports .[/QUOTE

IT SHOULD BE ALMOST PLUG AND PLAY. I JUST PUT A 6.0 IN A 4.3 TRUCK AND IT WAS NOT THAT HARD.

Gray
    2004 Chevy z71

Works...

Just put a 02 6.0L out of a Suburban into my 04 z71 Silverado pickup that had the 5.3L... just as the last guy said... everything pluged up fine... had to change the oil sending unit out with the one on my 5.3L block other then that umm buy a SS 6.0L flywheel that fits the 4L60E tranny and ur set to go... (DO NOT USE THE 5.3L FLYWHEEL WILL NOT WORK U WILL END UP BURNING UP UR 3/4 CLUTCHES CONVERTER AND PUMP, THIS IS NOT CHEEP STUFF TO BUY AND REBUILD...GM PUMP WILL COST U OVER $500 ITSELF... SO AGAIN BUY A FLYWHEEL THAT IS MADE TO MATE THE 6.0L AND THE 4L60E TRANNY) the block didnt have an intake and one manifold had a crack so i bolted on my 5.3L intake, injectors, and manifold with all new gaskets... I started the truck and no codes/DTCs have been set yet... any questions fill free to email me at thorracing_707@hotmail.com... because i dnt check this website every day i do my inbox... OH AND THE TRUCK RUNS GREAT... U CAN TELL A LOT MORE TORQUE LOW END... AND IM GETTING THE SAME GAS MILEAGE...

I actually found a 5.3 for $500 and droped it in, after finding a 3/4 ton 2500 6.0 which is my new project. So I've read that the 6.0 is all the same except for having a bigger bore, 80e tranny and ecm tables. I have heard you can send off a 5.3 ecm and reflash for factory 6.0 for around $100.

Gray
    2004 Chevy z71

Flashing the pcm...

Ive heard that the 5.3L and the 6.0L are factory tuned the same... i wouldnt spend the extra money and get it flashed!!! My truck still has not set any codes and has no problems at any speed running... the MAF on the trucks is what compensates for the difference in air fuel ratios between the two motors… if my truck had set a rich or lean HO2S (Heated Oxygen Sensor) code then I mite say different about the pcm and end up flashing it, because then it would end up burning up a piston or my Cats… with what I have seen and how my truck is running I wouldn’t reflash my pcm... but that’s me also…
    And all the wiring is the same... only thing like i said before u mite end up have n to swap out ur oil sending unit... and also u mite know this but if not this mite be helpful... (computers the ECM+TCM=PCM) the new trucks do not have a computer for the transmission and engine they have started putting them together and calling it the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) so when u get a new flash they mite be flashing the TCM also make sure they know which transmission u have in ur truck when u get the flash!!!

2004,2008 triumph 675 SE

Im glad you guys posted this I have a 4.8 and have been tossing the idea around of a motor swap,or ls6 heads and cams.

my boyfriend did a 6.0 swap with i think a 4.8 motor though. His puts about 400-450 at the wheels.

2004,2008 triumph 675 SE

Thats not to shabby,what all has he done to it?

Uh cam i don't know the duration or anything, patriot heads, tune,ls6 intake i think. when he gets home ill repost with the good info.hah

Gray
    2004 Chevy z71

stock 5.3 swaped with Stock 6.0

I just had a 60s flowmaster on my 2004 single cab 5.3L z71 and ran my buddies hypertech programmed 2004 ex cab 4x4 5.4L f150 with 40s flowmaster and i took him in a highway race, he said he was right on my rear bumper with his front bumper... and i did get the jump on him he spun a lot more then i did his ford not having a true locker...

After i put the 6.0 in my truck with my stock 5.3 intake and injectors, stock 5.3 exhaust manifolds, and stock 5.3 computer, and putting a k&n cold air on the truck i ran him again in the same place... this time he got the jump on me (we are honking 3 times and then going, need a flager!!! LOL!!!) he pulled about a half a truck on me and then i passed him and he said this time i pulled on him 2 and a half trucks like he was setting still and was still pulling away when i let out!!! he said fuck i need to get a supercharger just to keep up with ur ass now... i said no just get u a bowtie!!!

racing at about 65 he tends to get the jump on me tell i get up into a higher rpm bands 4,500 or so then i just run away from him tell i hit the damn gov!!! got to get me a programmer!!! i have no idea what hp or torque im putting out but damn i can tell a crap load of difference!!! I've also out ran 2 other buddies a stock lowerd single cab 4.8L 2 times, and a ex cab 97, 5.7L cold air, with superchip programmer...

MY TRUCK: 2004 SILVERADO Single Cab, 6.0L, 4L60E with OTS Clutchs, Z71 4x4, locking 3.73 ratio rear end, 3in Body Lift With 315x75R16 BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A's

Thread Information