Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by TrickStang37 View Post
    pacing him at those speeds is a pretty bad idea. if something did happen to him and he crashed, even if it were down the road, if just one person witnessed you pacing, you can be sure they would say you were "racing." You'd be assed out.
    Agreed, in traffic. That's why I didn't maintain the speed. I was not gonna maintain that speed just to show him I could exceed it. I wanted to get his tag, but I couldn't get close enough to read it within what I felt was a reasonable distance, so I gave up the effort. Still, if by some miracle he did get stopped, I had evidence against him that would be a little more difficult for an attorney to have ignored. Certified calibration or not, I CAN estimate speed and a speedometer reading on a car can support that. That's all I wanted to do.

As far as somebody saying I was racing him, well, I can't help that. People can say what they want, but I know the truth of the matter. Sometimes you have to take that as the way it is.

The problem with this stuff around here is beyond bad. You rarely even see SHP on that section of Interstate anymore. It has turned into a Free-For-All. Either enforcement has to take place to reduce it, or it will continue to worsen.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    You got his plate didn't ya Jad? Maybe you can show him your flashers and give him a .
    Nope. My eyes weren't good enough at night.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    off duty citizenes arrest john...
    Nope. Just a regular arrest.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Nis View Post
    Flashers mean you won the race, typically used by ricers and younger cocky kids.
    we used flashers 20 yrs ago to let everyone know back at the start who won. back then i was young and cocky lol.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
    we used flashers 20 yrs ago to let everyone know back at the start who won. back then i was young and cocky lol.
    Back then - in your situation - it made sense. This moron was just an idiot driver. Hopefully he'll wise up before his stupidity kills him - or someone else.

live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

a few years ago, when i first got my 69 camaro i raced a lil turboed civic. Just a quick race from one light to the next. i smoked him but then i had to slow down early... way before the light cus i had 4 wheel drum brakes back then.

so what does this douche bag do, he keeps speeding up after the race is over, throws on his flashers like i didnt just beat his ass by 5 lengths, cuts in front of me and then slams on his brakes right before the light. My drums brakes locked up so i wouldnt slam into his rear and i went sliding down the street as he took off..... fucking retard!

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Back then - in your situation - it made sense. This moron was just an idiot driver. Hopefully he'll wise up before his stupidity kills him - or someone else.
    As an off duty police officer, what are you permitted to do?

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    As an off duty police officer, what are you permitted to do?
    Off-duty is a misnomer. I have full power as soon as I decide action needs to be taken. It's instantaneous. Now I had no way of pulling the car over since I was in my personal car, but I can call for assistance and get the car stopped. The probable cause will be on me to satisfy, but that's not an issue. In this particular case, the car ended up slowing down so I decided to let the matter go.

A few years ago I followed a truck that was weaving and driving erratically for over ten miles before I had a trooper stop it (he was a long way off). The driver had a twelve pack (opened) beside him and it was his SEVENTH DWI. Here in NC, that is habitual which makes it a Felony. He also had his vehicle seized. The PC was based on my observations for the driving case since the trooper actually had to come down an Interstate decceleration ramp to block the truck from continuing. We won the case with no problem.

I guess it is easiest to answer your question by saying you have the same power 24/7, but when you are not ON DUTY it is best to save your responses for only the worst offenses or when inaction on your part would endanger others. My only rule is I will not endanger my own family, so if they are in the car I will not get involved in a way that puts them at risk.

I hope that makes sense.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Off-duty is a misnomer. I have full power as soon as I decide action needs to be taken. It's instantaneous. Now I had no way of pulling the car over since I was in my personal car, but I can call for assistance and get the car stopped. The probable cause will be on me to satisfy, but that's not an issue. In this particular case, the car ended up slowing down so I decided to let the matter go.

A few years ago I followed a truck that was weaving and driving erratically for over ten miles before I had a trooper stop it (he was a long way off). The driver had a twelve pack (opened) beside him and it was his SEVENTH DWI. Here in NC, that is habitual which makes it a Felony. He also had his vehicle seized. The PC was based on my observations for the driving case since the trooper actually had to come down an Interstate decceleration ramp to block the truck from continuing. We won the case with no problem.

I guess it is easiest to answer your question by saying you have the same power 24/7, but when you are not ON DUTY it is best to save your responses for only the worst offenses or when inaction on your part would endanger others. My only rule is I will not endanger my own family, so if they are in the car I will not get involved in a way that puts them at risk.

I hope that makes sense.
    Yes it does. That is very interesting and I understand.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Yes it does. That is very interesting and I understand.
    I don't want to give the impression that all cops do is go out and look for things to stop people for, even when off-duty. That's just not the case. All I wanted to do that night was get home after working fifteen hours (about the same the night of that DWI). But sometimes you just get the feeling that you better do something before the situation gets worse. And then sometimes you (and the public) are better off just accepting the fact you can't catch 'em all.

I get passed all the time by people doing 80+ on the Interstate and I don't even give that a second thought, but this little shit got my attention. He needed an attitude adjustment, but it just has to wait for now.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I don't want to give the impression that all cops do is go out and look for things to stop people for, even when off-duty. That's just not the case. All I wanted to do that night was get home after working fifteen hours (about the same the night of that DWI). But sometimes you just get the feeling that you better do something before the situation gets worse. And then sometimes you (and the public) are better off just accepting the fact you can't catch 'em all.

I get passed all the time by people doing 80+ on the Interstate and I don't even give that a second thought, but this little shit got my attention. He needed an attitude adjustment, but it just has to wait for now.
    No, I understand, but I was unsure of your rights while off-duty. It makes me wonder though, how many times I have passed an off-duty cop while speeding. But I was certainly not being an idiot about it, but it would freak me out!!

Thread Information