Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

One last thing. I don't want to pay for the GM flywheel in the kit because I am going to go with an aluminum Flywheel. Do you know the part number for just the LS7 clutch?

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

I did get this part # from my local dealer 24255748 he wanted $250 I get a good price from him. Not sure as to why you want to get a aluminum flywheel to save 10 pounds for the cost!
    Did you read the 1st post on this post from tech not a lot of fans of that flywheel for a street car. Good luck

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

Yeah I did more research decided against the aluminum flywheel. Im going to go with the LS7 set up and get a tick MC

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

I just had the Ls7 clutch installed and I know that there is probably some protocol for breaking it in. Can anyone give me a good ideal on the best way to break it in so I get the maximum life out of it

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by 98ramairguy View Post
    I just had the Ls7 clutch installed and I know that there is probably some protocol for breaking it in. Can anyone give me a good ideal on the best way to break it in so I get the maximum life out of it
    What I have read on it was put about 500mi on it before beating the balls off it. Mine is going in as soon as the hood is painted and that is my plan
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

black
    00 maro ss

I must be missin somethin here. ok i had a t-56 spec stage 2 and a nice throw out bearing. No more than 420hp. it was great,strong,fast shiftin.hard clutch pedal. so whats the hype on a ls7 setup? Say u have a new t-56 with stage 2 clutch n allumn. flywheel. and say same thing with the ls7 setup. whats the diff?

black
    00 maro ss

And if ur upgrading for power wouldnt u want like a new gen tranny instead?

Red
    2000 WS6

Hey Everyone, I have a 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 ls1 with a 6 speed. I am having clutch problems. I'm sure it's my master/slave cylinder, but would like to know some opinions before i re-invest this type of cash in the car again. I have the tick master with the bleeder hose and currently it will not pump up to bleed out. ..... Silly question but is there a conversion to a non-hydraulic 6 speed setup?

I purchased this set up back in October of 2010 from Mark at Kentucky Speed:

gmpartsdirect.com
    Pilot Bearing 14061685
    Rear Main Seal 89060436

Summit Racing
    Hurst Shifter HUU-3915061
    ARP Flywheel Bolts 30-2802
    ARP Pressure Plate Bolts 134-2201

kentucky-speed.com
    GM LS7 Clutch Kit
    98-02 F-Body Slave Cylinder
    Tick Performance Adj Clutch Master Cylinder
    Tick Performance Remote Clutch Speed Bleeder Line

P.S. I drive this car as a daily driver so seriously most of the miles have been "highway" but I do drive it like a sports car is meant to be driven, like it doesn't belong to me. I have 90,000 miles on this setup.
    Last edited by Oldsmobileman; 04-28-2014 at 04:26 PM.

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

I would say 90k on any clutch in these cars is pretty good especially if your driving it like your suppose to. I would get another Ls7 set up

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Agree. If you do have 90k on that clutch then it's long past time. Tick MC's are the best. I'm willing to bet that the slave has lived its full life span and has gone out.

I've only heard of hydraulics used with the T56. Stick with the OEM slave.

How many miles on the transmission itself? I'm on 170k and currently doing a rebuild on it. How long they last depends on how aggressive you drive. But at some point the syncros & bearings will need replaced.

Red
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    How many miles on the transmission itself? I'm on 170k and currently doing a rebuild on it. How long they last depends on how aggressive you drive. But at some point the syncros & bearings will need replaced.
    I have 185,000+ miles on body and tranny. The motor was replaced before I purchased the car. It's a great Trans am. One of my favorite cars. It has sub frame connectors welded in. Slp intake, and flow master exhaust. No smog pump and a k&n filter. Other than that pretty stock aside from the clutch upgrade I did.

The tranny could use a rebuild. I've had to hold the clutch in when putting it in reverse since I've owned it or it pops out and or grinds and when it's cold first gear sometimes grinds. But it's done these things since my ownership began so you just get used to it. I always cringe when someone else drives it because I know they are gomna grind the hell outta my gears! Maybe when I pull it I will freshen it up, or I do have a spare six speed maybe just build it all the way, bearings and syncros. Hard to find a good mechanic at an affordable rate in Sarasota, FL.

Navy Blue Metallic

Yeah it's time for a rebuild. Your syncros are gone.

Tick Performance does a great rebuild on T56's. For the stage 2 it's about $1500 base price. Add a Viper 2nd gear a little more. You can get the parts kit for a stage 2 build for around $600, Viper 2nd gear runs $260 and premium bearings another $150 if you think you can do it yourself or have a shop that will do it for you.

I'm currently in the middle of my rebuild. If interested I can give you sites in a PM where to get the parts. Let me know in a PM.

Red
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Yeah it's time for a rebuild. Your syncros are gone.

Tick Performance does a great rebuild on T56's. For the stage 2 it's about $1500 base price. Add a Viper 2nd gear a little more. You can get the parts kit for a stage 2 build for around $600, Viper 2nd gear runs $260 and premium bearings another $150 if you think you can do it yourself or have a shop that will do it for you.

I'm currently in the middle of my rebuild. If interested I can give you sites in a PM where to get the parts. Let me know in a PM.
    Please do! I appreciate all the help I can get.
    Last edited by Oldsmobileman; 04-29-2014 at 07:35 AM.

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

What does the Viper 2nd gear do?

Navy Blue Metallic

It has a much longer tooth engagement over the early f body t56's I've read that in 01 they started installing it in the t56 f bodies but that was a post and have not be able to confirm.

Here is the pic I took. You can see the difference.

This with the stage II build kit enables the T56 to handle 650 ftlbs of torque vs the 500 ftlbs the standard T56 does.

Red
    2000 WS6

Scott tried messaging you but your inbox is full. Can you give me a facebook message? www.facebook.com/pawnstarllc or twitter @aleastbeast

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsmobileman View Post
    Scott tried messaging you but your inbox is full. Can you give me a facebook message? www.facebook.com/pawnstarllc or twitter @aleastbeast

Sorry, just cleaned it out....

White Black
    1999 Chevy Camaro LS1

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Everything about the LS7 Clutch

A few pics of the LS7 compared to LS2 Gto clutch/flywheel.
    LS7 Clutch Details

What flywheel is required to run the LS7 clutch?
    In order for the LS7 clutch to fit into and f-body you must use the ls2 or ls7 (they are both the same just most call it the ls2) flywheel. The ls1 flywheel will not work nor will any aftermarket ls1 flywheel. Your only option is the ls2/ls7. At this point in time there are only 2 options as far as material for the ls2/ls7 flywheel, stock steel or after market firdanza aluminum. There is no billet steel option.

Is an aluminum flywheel for me?
    If your considering an aluminum or not sure if you should run an aluminum flywheel here are some good thread to read threw.
    aluminum flywheel for 1/4 mile car - LS1TECH

How much does the LS2/LS7 flywheel weigh?
    26.5lbs

How much does an ls1 flywheel weigh?
    24lbs

How much does Firdanza LS2/LS7 flywheel weigh?13lbs

How much does the whole LS7 assembly weigh?
    57lbs

How much does the whole LS1 assembly weight?
    49lbs

How much does the firdanza LS2/LS7 flywheel with LS7 clutch weigh?
    44lbs

Do I need to use a shim with the LS7?
    No

Do I need to have my new LS7 clutch balanced?
    Generally if you purchase the flywheel and clutch as a kit no, the ls2 and ls7 are balanced, if you change your flywheel to say the firdanza then yes you should have the setup balanced. Although it is never a bad idea to have even a new setup checked. An unbalanced flywheel/clutch setup is a leading cause of clutch failure.

Should the pedal engage right off the floor after install?
    Yes this is normal and the engagement point should come up after break in.

What is the normal break in period?Usually 500 miles. This is a tough question, some people always break there clutch in some go out and beat on it first thing and still have no problems. It just like engines some break them in some don't. Personally I like to break them in first.

How much power can the LS7 handle?
    Well the Z06 is 505hp so 505hp. If your pushing over that you may want to look else were. Most Z06 owners will tell you once you start modding the car the clutch can not handle the added power, but that seems to be the case with all GM clutches.

How much is the LS7?You can get the LS7 and ls2 flywheel for $400+shipping. Just he clutch and pressure plate runs about $250. The Firdanza aluminum flywheel goes from $350-$400. Most the big sponsers all carry these items and usually will price match any other site so pick your fav.

So i have a 1999 camaro ls1. im new to cars so please dont mind tis question. my car is probably pushin about 370 to the rears. would i need to upgrade my engine more to put on the ls7 clutch or is it good enough?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information