Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112

Thread: Known rip offs

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    iTrader

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by insorned73 View Post
    What are the BIGGEST RIP-OFFS to avoid? In this thread please list from experience or examination the biggest scams or rip-offs you have come across as a warning to others.

Lets help each other avoid money sucking traps

Derek Jung
    This thread may not be the best place for your request. You should start a thread of your own and others will more than likely chime in.
    Last edited by Smittro; 10-23-2009 at 03:45 AM.

iTrader

red
    00 z28 m6

Quote Originally Posted by Shepp1691 View Post
    I had the same thing happen to me. I made a claim with paypal and he emailed me stating he was going to be sending the stuff out. I told him he had till monday to get them here or I would push the claim for a refund. I have never had to use paypal for this, so if the stuff doesnt show up, hopefully paypal will come through for me.
    if you got it through paypal you will get your money back, it happened with me when i bought a paint gun i never got

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar
    iTrader
    48 (100%)

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by 2000redcamaro View Post
    if you got it through paypal you will get your money back, it happened with me when i bought a paint gun i never got
    not if the money isn't in his account. they will put a negitive balance on the account then most people just start a new account.

iTrader

black99, silverY2K
    1999 z28 & Y2K z28

How about a separate thread with just the user name (all known for different sites), the legal name if we know it and any possible IP or nic addresses. Otherwise we get a really long thread with all the injustices hammered out. The later, witch we have hear makes for a very long dragged out process to find out who not to deal with.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    iTrader

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by parnelligq View Post
    How about a separate thread with just the user name (all known for different sites), the legal name if we know it and any possible IP or nic addresses. Otherwise we get a really long thread with all the injustices hammered out. The later, witch we have hear makes for a very long dragged out process to find out who not to deal with.
    Original post date: 11-08-2007, 07:25 AM

Prior post date: 05-04-2010 02:20 AM

Your post date: Yesterday 11:45 PM

iTrader

black99, silverY2K
    1999 z28 & Y2K z28

Yea...so. We still need a single page list with offender information. I think this should be set up by the site operator or at least a moderator.

iTrader
    48 (100%)

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

if we get more then a few i will.
    we usually don't have problems here.
    we have a few cop friends that help out. :wink:

iTrader

black99, silverY2K
    1999 z28 & Y2K z28

Okay.
    A few of my neighbors are in law enforcement. They are decent guys but I have never asked them for anything. I don't know that they would do more than send me to someone else.

iTrader
    48 (100%)

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by parnelligq View Post
    Okay.
    A few of my neighbors are in law enforcement. They are decent guys but I have never asked them for anything. I don't know that they would do more than send me to someone else.
    you would be surprised on what "some people" could do and info they can find.

iTrader

red
    1999 trans am ws6

I thought paypal required you to have a backup credit card on hand in case your bank account was empty?

iTrader
    2 (100%)

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

this is a very old thread....

iTrader
    1 (100%)

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    this is a very old thread....
    Very very old thread

iTrader

Maroon
    2002 Z28

It may be an old thread, but I am new here. I am thinking of requesting a name, address, phone number and a photo of the person holding the part I want before sending money to anyone I do not know. Does that make sense to you guys? If an individual is selling something on line I think that is a fair thing to ask.....if they can not do that move on perhaps.

iTrader
    1 (100%)

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Forgiven View Post
    It may be an old thread, but I am new here. I am thinking of requesting a name, address, phone number and a photo of the person holding the part I want before sending money to anyone I do not know. Does that make sense to you guys? If an individual is selling something on line I think that is a fair thing to ask.....if they can not do that move on perhaps.
    Those posts were made over a year ago and the thread had been idle for a year before that. That is the only reason we posted how old the thread was

Of course you need to take precautions before buying anything online. That is the reason that we have certain requirements before members are allowed to sell parts on this site

iTrader

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

I DO realise it is an old thread but nonetheless Mike is being very cautious and
    rightly so!
    No trade can be bigger than me buying my latest 2002 TA sight unseen from a guy
    I didn't know from Adam. Because of this I had emailed to me at least 60 shots of
    the car, his id card, three utility bills, a pic of the car outside the address shown on the bills,
    the title, autocheck AND carfax, his drivers licence and probably more stuff I cannot remember!!

Never can be too safe. If you cover all of the bases then you can be pretty confident

Trev :O)

iTrader
    1 (100%)

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Of course. Common sense

iTrader
    With identity theft being a really big problem these days, I don't know too many people that would give out that kind of information, especially over the phone or internet, to a potential buyer that has just as much of a chance of being a scammer as the seller might be. Just sayin'

I certainly wouldn't give out my address, date of birth, driver license, or anything of that nature to someone I haven't met, nor would I do it over the phone or internet. I can understand people being cautious these days, but it works both ways, scammers can be buyers or sellers.

Bottom line, if there is something I want to sell, or want to buy, I pretty much stick to seeing things in person, meeting the people in person, and make the transaction happen that way. If it's on the other side of the country and I want it bad enough, I'll travel. If I can't do these things then I probably don't need it

iTrader

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    With identity theft being a really big problem these days, I don't know too many people that would give out that kind of information, especially over the phone or internet, to a potential buyer that has just as much of a chance of being a scammer as the seller might be. Just sayin'

I certainly wouldn't give out my address, date of birth, driver license, or anything of that nature to someone I haven't met, nor would I do it over the phone or internet. I can understand people being cautious these days, but it works both ways, scammers can be buyers or sellers.

Bottom line, if there is something I want to sell, or want to buy, I pretty much stick to seeing things in person, meeting the people in person, and make the transaction happen that way. If it's on the other side of the country and I want it bad enough, I'll travel. If I can't do these things then I probably don't need it
    Mmmm.... all very true and i pretty much agree but i had no choice. Have to say he was happy to give me the info i requested and i did the same in
    return so we were both happy with who we were! The info was exchanged after many phone calls and picture bearing emails. Not everybody is out to skin
    you alive...

Can't buy a decent Trans am over here for love nor money so.... I couldn't do those things but DID need it!

:O)

iTrader
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyWS6 View Post
    Mmmm.... all very true and i pretty much agree but i had no choice. Have to say he was happy to give me the info i requested and i did the same in
    return so we were both happy with who we were! The info was exchanged after many phone calls and picture bearing emails. Not everybody is out to skin
    you alive...

Can't buy a decent Trans am over here for love nor money so.... I couldn't do those things but DID need it!

:O)
    I can understand that with your situation being rather unique. Very fortunate that 2 people so far apart can work together, exchange information, and be honest for a smooth transaction. That's rare.

iTrader

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

You are right,

I spoke and mailed so many people to find the right car and John, the seller was as good as gold!

Don't even get me started on the banking issues we had to get past!!!

You guys have credit unions and we don't.... My bank could not figure out how to send the funds to the first larger credit union to then filter down to his own in St. Louis. I went mad at my bank and then sent direct from my shipping agent who waived any transfer fees.

Phew....

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112

Thread Information