Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    I thinks it's kind of funny how some speak of the GT500 like it just doesn't have any potential whatsoever. Now i'm not taking up for Ford guys or anything, just being honest. The GT500 has a 5.4L DOHC underneath as i'm sure we all know by now, virtually the same motor that powered the 2000 Cobra R, except it's supercharged! Yes a cam only LS1 may outrun a stock GT500, but i'd be willing to bet that there are many GT500 cars that are not completely stock by now. It takes just a pulley, exhaust, and some bolt-ons to gain 70 or more horsepower in one of these machines, easily putting these cars into the 11's without touching the heads or camshafts. As a die hard F-body enthusiast I am very aware of what this motor is capable of and have been following it since it's introduction in 2000 despite the very limited resources (I like to know what my competition is up to ) Yes they are fat pigs with lackluster performance in stock trim, but they can go reeeal fast, real easy. So don't underestimate or else you could easily become a victim.

Just my 2 cents.
    "potential" is the faggest argument of all time. "what if" they mod it. . .well "what if" we blow our cars? It's a never ending argument and shouldn't even be brought up.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

You're an idiot for flaming a guy who argued about a cammed only LS1 car outrunning a GT500.

The mods necessary to make insane power from a GT500 are simpler and cheaper than doing that cam swap on the LSx. The GT500 already comes with outstanding induction capability, and outstanding internals. It doesn't need anything but a pulley and a tune to turn the limit of the blower's capability. If you "blow" your car, you're limited by compression. If you down the compression, you just spent whatever it costs to swap pistons, and put on a blower, buy the correct pulley, enough fuel system (injectors and pump at a minimum), and a tune. The GT500 buys a pulley, and gets it tuned. It's done and it's looking at ridiculous power gains. Doing a pulley swap and a tune is even easier than doing the cam swap, and cheaper to boot. So, absolutely argue the potential till you're blue in the face. Nothing produced from the factory today has the potential that these GT500s do with just a few minor mods.

Chris

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post
    You're an idiot for flaming a guy who argued about a cammed only LS1 car outrunning a GT500.

The mods necessary to make insane power from a GT500 are simpler and cheaper than doing that cam swap on the LSx. The GT500 already comes with outstanding induction capability, and outstanding internals. It doesn't need anything but a pulley and a tune to turn the limit of the blower's capability. If you "blow" your car, you're limited by compression. If you down the compression, you just spent whatever it costs to swap pistons, and put on a blower, buy the correct pulley, enough fuel system (injectors and pump at a minimum), and a tune. The GT500 buys a pulley, and gets it tuned. It's done and it's looking at ridiculous power gains. Doing a pulley swap and a tune is even easier than doing the cam swap, and cheaper to boot. So, absolutely argue the potential till you're blue in the face. Nothing produced from the factory today has the potential that these GT500s do with just a few minor mods.

Chris
    I didn't argue the potential, dipshit, I said it's a stupid argument to bring up what mods will do for them when that isn't the issue. Potential doesn't fucking matter, that was my point, so read before you just say exactly what the other guy said. Arguing "potential" is a never ending argument and like I said the first time, shouldn't be brought up. Neither engine has mroe "potential" unless you start putting limitations on the mods that can be performed on each for the sake of argument.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Chris
    Wait a second, how much are GT500s? I forgot I know you can get a low mile LS1 fbod for 15...

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    Wait a second, how much are GT500s? I forgot I know you can get a low mile LS1 fbod for 15...
    Somewhere around $65k on the sticker price. I hope it has potential for that price...

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Last one that went through here happened to be the one I raced, marked up to 79k.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold
    The mods necessary to make insane power from a GT500 are simpler and cheaper than doing that cam swap on the LSx....
    Your comparing a boosted application to a naturally aspirated one? The average GT500 costs $40,000.00 more than the average 98-02 LS1 Camaro, do you have any idea how fast we can make Mike's Camaro with just a fraction of that $40,000.00 difference? Also, is it feasible to believe that one could remove the blower on the '07 GT500, and with the addition of just a camshaft (save for a few bolt ons), bring the car into the 10's? Not quite, yet it's already been done with the T-Rex in an LS1, Click Here.....

Nothing produced from the factory today has the potential that these GT500s do with just a few minor mods....
    I beg to differ....

Magnetic
    2016 Shelby GT350

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    I beg to differ....
    Boy, I've got to agree. I've driven C5 and C6 Z06s at Buttonwillow and Willow Springs, and besides safety mods and tires, there isn't much that you have to do to turn some real quick lap times. The 1/4 miles guys don't seem to mind the 3,920 lbs. curb weight of the Shelby GT 500 as much as I do. If the Shelby had a stock curb weight of about 3,200 lbs. it would be awesome and I would own one. Hell, my '04 at 3,650 lbs. weighs way too much!
    '01 BMW 330ci: Race it in a modified class in BMW CCA Club Racing and NASA endurance races.
    '04 Lincoln LS V8 Sport: Stock.
    '04 Mustang Cobra coupe (white/gray): Modified.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    I didn't argue the potential, dipshit, I said it's a stupid argument to bring up what mods will do for them when that isn't the issue. Potential doesn't fucking matter, that was my point, so read before you just say exactly what the other guy said. Arguing "potential" is a never ending argument and like I said the first time, shouldn't be brought up. Neither engine has mroe "potential" unless you start putting limitations on the mods that can be performed on each for the sake of argument.
    Well guess what, dipshit, he wasn't the first to bring up modding. In fact, he argued against another person who started that endless debate. You're being selective by jumping on him for arguing potential when someone else started arguing potential first. The only difference between the two was the fact that the other guy argued in favor of the LS1.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Well guess what, dipshit, he wasn't the first to bring up modding. In fact, he argued against another person who started that endless debate. You're being selective by jumping on him for arguing potential when someone else started arguing potential first. The only difference between the two was the fact that the other guy argued in favor of the LS1.
    ouch, you're really hurting my e-feelings, try reading the WHOLE thread. The original car in question was a modded LS1. Thank you, come again.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

I beg to differ....
    Actually, you're right. Let me clarify a bit. I was referring to the 5.4L engines, not the car in general. I'd personally much rather have the Z06 as a base. However, in terms of power, the 5.4 doesn't have a competitor off of the showroom floor.

The LS7s start off on par, but the 5.4s already make more torque and low-end. And, because the 5.4 is already set up for a blower, changing a pulley and adding a tune means 500 rwhp is just a couple hundred dollars away. You can't just add a blower and boost to the 427. For one, the compression is too high, and to change the compression, that means parts have to start coming off. Ford's offering the performance parts to make the 5.4s put out 600 hp with a warranty. Shelby offers the bolt-ons to make them 725hp.

And, yes Street Lethal, I'll compare a stock car from the factory to another stock car from the factory all day long because that's the way they are sold to us. The day Chevy starts making Corvettes that are rocket-powered and solar sail assisted from the factory is the day I'll start comparing rocket-power and solar sails to gasoline powered engines. Is it just that you don't like the fact that Ford is finding more intelligent ways to be competitive?

I can't wait for this supercharged corvette to make it to production, and when it does you won't hear me whine about the fact that chevies are capable of building higher powered motors again. To me, the LS7 in all of its greatness and technological marvel doesn't equal the Supercharged 5.4 in the shelby and especially the twin-screw blown 5.4 in the GT.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    ouch, you're really hurting my e-feelings, try reading the WHOLE thread. The original car in question was a modded LS1. Thank you, come again.
    What's your point? The potential was already being argued before his post, yet you chose to jump on him...

Personally, I think potential is a great argument. You just don't like it because the GT500 has more.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Your comparing a boosted application to a naturally aspirated one? The average GT500 costs $40,000.00 more than the average 98-02 LS1 Camaro, do you have any idea how fast we can make Mike's Camaro with just a fraction of that $40,000.00 difference?
    You just made 2 completely retarded arguments. The first I've already discussed. It's as retarded as the ricer argument that 4cylinders make more power/L. So what? So Ford makes the mustang supercharged from the factory, stop crying about it.

Second, by your logic, why don't you own a fox-body? Clearly they have more potential/$ than your 98-02 LS1. I mean, with the initial price of a fox-body you can make it faster to any ET than your LS1 for less money. Stop comparing new car values to used cars. Show me a new car with an MSRP that's less than a GT500 and will outrun it in the 1/4.

Black
    2000 Z-28

You just made 2 completely retarded arguments. The first I've already discussed. It's as retarded as the ricer argument that 4cylinders make more power/L. So what? So Ford makes the mustang supercharged from the factory, stop crying about it.

Second, by your logic, why don't you own a fox-body? Clearly they have more potential/$ than your 98-02 LS1. I mean, with the initial price of a fox-body you can make it faster to any ET than your LS1 for less money. Stop comparing new car values to used cars. Show me a new car with an MSRP that's less than a GT500 and will outrun it in the 1/4.
    Actually, I believe a stock C6 vette is quicker and cheaper because you can't find a GT500 that hasn't been marked up $20K. But you are right about their potential, I saw it myself, a GT500 received a pulley swap, cold air intake and dyno tune and picked up 140rwhp. Apparently they leave quite a bit on the table in terms of tuning on those things.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by Forced_Firebird View Post

So this car isn't built yet, and you want to race the old man?

Watchout, with an exhaust, pulley, porting the blower and gears that GT500 is a low 10 car...

http://www.evoperform.com/GT500/dyno2.wmv
    hard to believe with those mods only your going to cut 2.5 seconds off that pig heavy car......its 4k lbs......so your saying with those mods its in the neiborhood of 900hp?

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper101 View Post
    I have raced one. There have a fast 1/2nd gear but they seem to go away around 3rd n 4th.
    He hung with me till about 50-60 and then I jumped him by 3 cars to 120.

SO with that stroker it would be a good race!!!
    a stroked ls1 would eat a stock shelby cobra ALIVE!!!!! easily...me vs c5z06 from a roll equals 2 car lengths from 70-110..3rd gear..and there as fast if not faster than a gt500 from a roll.......and my car has a very mild lpe cam NO LONG TUBES stock 3.42 gears ...400 rwhp ....the set up hes talkin about should put him well north of 500 hp in a car 600lbs lighter than the gt500

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Yeah, you've got that right about the markup. I offered sticker to a dealership for a GT500 and they laughed at me. I could buy it, but that would be painful, and I refuse to pay more than sticker for any new car, ever.

Chris

You just made 2 completely retarded arguments. The first I've already discussed. It's as retarded as the ricer argument that 4cylinders make more power/L. So what? So Ford makes the mustang supercharged from the factory, stop crying about it....
    First of all, there was really no need to create two seperate posts to respond to just one of mine. Secondly, who here is questioning the ability of Ford's GT-500? If you carefully inspect post# 35, I clearly pointed out the incredible potential of the GT-500, w/video. Let's stick to your plastic arguement, shall we....?

You said;

The mods necessary to make insane power from a GT500 are simpler and cheaper than doing that cam swap on the LSx
    Now followed by;

I'll compare a stock car from the factory to another stock car from the factory all day long because that's the way they are sold to us.
    You make absolutely no sense whatsoever. "Mods necessary to make insane power", has nothing to do with, "I'll compare a stock car from the factory to another stock car from the factory all day long because that's the way they are sold to us". FYI, most of these forums are both based, as well as endorsed, by the aftermarket. However, putting such aftermarket "modifications" to the side , let's compare Fords '07 Supercharged GT-500, stock, up against Mike's much cheaper, and seven year older, stock, LS1 Camaro, shall we? Do you really feel that the beneficial differences to that of the GT-500's favor are that substantial over the older LS1's, whether it be "price" or "factory performance"? Forty thousand more dollars for an absolute pig (in reference to weight), and for quarter mile performance in which a naturally aspirated LS1 can hang with with a few bolt ons....

Let's see what else you got;

Second, by your logic, why don't you own a fox-body? Clearly they have more potential/$ than your 98-02 LS1....
    You lost me there, as you did everybody else, I'm sure. If your referring to the "cost advantage" of your average Fox body Mustang, I would take a Mustang GT any day of the week over the GT-500. However, this website is devoted to GM's F-Body, hence the reasoning of why I'm here, as well as the reasoning as to why I would choose a slightly higher in cost F-Body, over a slightly lower in cost, Fox body....

... what else;

Show me a new car with an MSRP that's less than a GT500 and will outrun it in the 1/4....
    Chris, the more you try to clarify your point, the more foolish you make yourself sound. Do you honestly hear yourself? Who cares what the GT-500 can do from the factory, the fact of the matter is that for a few thousand dollars more (on top of, lets say, an '06 GTO), you would have a car that would completely annihilate Ford's GT-500, and that's w/out a blown application on the GTO's part....

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

I Still don't see why you guys are arguing about it all, i mean a modded car Vs N/A stock is normally going to win. In the car world its who has the most money to spend on there ride, I don't care if its a $40K Gt-500 or a $10k T/A or a $5k Rx-7, Who ever is able to fork out the money to get the mods necessary is going to win!!! Period End of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper101
    I Still don't see why you guys are arguing about it all, i mean a modded car Vs N/A stock is normally going to win. In the car world its who has the most money to spend on there ride, I don't care if its a $40K Gt-500 or a $10k T/A or a $5k Rx-7, Who ever is able to fork out the money to get the mods necessary is going to win!!! Period End of discussion.
    Not only am I not arguing, you just touched on my very point though. It's pointless to compare factory cars to one another, as if that were the case, there would be no point for; us to be here, nor the hobby itself. For that matter, we would simply accept defeat, before-hand, once we leave the freaking dealership. However, the GT500 doesn't cost $40,000.00, it's $40,000.00 above the cost of a low mileage F-Body....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information