Blue
    2000 Camaro SS Convertibl

0-60, 1/4 mile time on 2000 SS 'vert

I've seen plenty of 0-60 specs on the internet copied from old auto mags, but I can only find them listed for hardtop SS's, nothing on convertibles. It seems a stock SS, can run to 60 in close to 5 seconds flat, but does anyone know how much slower the convertible is. I own a 2000 SS vert M6, with the SLP centermount exhaust (4 tail pipes at the center), SLP airbox, and mass airflowsensor, everything else is stock, performance wise. Guessing the HP is around 340. Additional dumb question, but why is the performance slower on the convertibles vs. the hardtop? Are they really that much heavier? Not seeing where the extra weight is from. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

there is quite a bit of reenforcement to make the car stiffer. That reenforcement makes the car 100-200lbs heavier the way I understand it. However, with the mods I've done I've managed a 4.63 0-60 at the track and that was measured with my gtech pro ss. And that was on some regular street tires! Those tires have great traction but they just don't last long...

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

convertible is 300lbs heavier.
    just add more power and the problem is solved
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    yeeep the ls1 f-bod verts are similar to the ls1 gto's

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    yeeep the ls1 f-bod verts are similar to the ls1 gto's
    don't say that, its not true I think with the few bolt-ons I've done I can get in the 12s! and I think 300lbs is a bit much. I've never heard that one before.

I have yet to see that much difference, currently owning 2 convertables. I have had them both on the scale.

We had this discussion a few months ago, but no one actually had a T-top/hard top car on the scale for honest numbers to compare to.

I can tell you my 02 SS convertable comes in at exactly 3,620 lbs. with 3/4 tank of gas. Thats with every piece of factory equipment.

When bone stock it ran 13.70's at 102 mph. With me that would be 3,820 lbs. race weight and the DA was 3,100 feet.

The camaro verts are still not as heavy as the newer GTO's from some of those that I have seen on the scales.

I would venture to say a camaro hardtop/T-top car with comparable options is only about 100-150 lbs. lighter than a vert. Now there are a few stripper cars running around that are more bare bones, and would be slightly lighter, but that would not be the norm as 90% of the f-bodies were pretty plush with comfy options.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    don't say that, its not true I think with the few bolt-ons I've done I can get in the 12s! and I think 300lbs is a bit much. I've never heard that one before.
    the f-bod verts def have a slight advantage over the goats. but at least you can put them in close comparison too them vs. the t-top hardtop f-bods which are waay lighter
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

Ya but what is your idea of waaaay lighter? I have yet to see any on an actual scale,,,most people here guestimate,,,thats not good enough.
    If there was 500 lbs. difference then I would say waaaay lighter,,,but I don't think the margin is that great.

I had an 88 Iroc up until recently, a solid roof car, 350 TPI/auto. These cars are a smaller platform and don't have all the goodies that the 4th gens have, less options etc....no ABS, no air bags,,,and so on,,,,,but that thing still tipped the scales at 3440 lbs. with only 1/2 tank of gas. Not exactly way lighter in my opinion,,,,and thats a smaller car,,,,"shrug"

Not to change the subject but since we are on it,,,here is some food for thought. After this discussion coming up again, and talking about it a few months ago with no real results,,,,I called a couple of friends of mine and ran over to the same scale I use.

First car, a 94 LT1 6 speed solid roof car came in at 3,745 lbs. This thing was a porker for a 4th gen,,,and we are still scratching our heads as to why it's heavy. I know it's not the cast iron LT1 block,,,,since my fully loaded 97 LT1 convertable that everyone says is heavier than a hardtop only tipped the scales at 3550 lbs. Kinda strange the table is turned in this instance.

Anyway,,,the second car was a 99 LS1 6-speed with T-tops, and it came in at 3,510 lbs. and is devoid of a few options. Thats only 40 lbs lighter than my 97 convertable with a cast iron block,,,hmmmmmm not enough difference to quabble over. My 02 LS1 convertable with an automatic comes in at 3,620 lbs. as mentioned earlier,,,,and it's a loaded car with everything you can get,,,, Interesting,,,,,,there are only 110 lbs. of difference in these 2 cars,,,and mine is loaded with an auto,,,,his is missing a few options with a 6 speed. I would venture to say if they were both similarly equipped they would both weigh damn near the same give or take 20 or 30. Kinda interesting,,,,no?

Thread Information