Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    I have seen great drivers get a bone stock mach 1 to run a 13.2. Now it takes a good driver to get a ls1 to run that, although we have seen high 12s. Most people who run bone stock ls1s have trouble running below 13.5.
    I'm curently suposed to be in the 13.5 area...if I get a good 60ft... and I still got my ass beat by a Mach1 (M5)... I was right on his bumper... but he still won...

(automatic)...

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

The 8.8 on the mach is as stout as any, and they aren't even stressed out until you're launching on slicks.

For one, ETs have nothing to do with breaking axles. If you're running a strong suspension with a sticky tire, and a lot of torque, you're more likely to break something. But if you're running street tires, can't hook but have 1000 hp, you might still make it into the 10s.... You're certainly not going to break any rear axles on those street tires.

Second, what you've most likely heard about was the numerous '03 and '04 Cobras who've been breaking half-shafts, and they typically swap out the IRS and swap in an 8.8 or a 9" rear.

28 spline axles have their limit, but I've had them into the 11s personally, and a buddy of mine, Mike Bell running NMRA, has been into the 10s.

Next, the argument about the 5spd vs. the 6 spd. is just plain stupid. It sounded like someone originally argued that the 6 speeds gave a performance advantage.... Well, unless you're road racing into 5th gear, that's bunk. Even then, there are specialized 5 speed road racing trannies like the TKO II with a better 5th gear ratio that negates that advantage, as well.

The 4th gear in each tranny regardless of whether it's a 5 or 6 spd is 1:1... Furthermore, the gears that have the most significant impact on ET are the earlier ones.

Next, Mach 1s are a driver's race for LS1s plain and simple. Fastest Mach1 I've ever heard of ran a 13.2... The fastest LS1? 12.87 (Evan Smith). That's 3 tenths of a second difference and anyone trying to rock a stock manual tranny's gears is going to have a little trouble being more consistent than 3 tenths of a second at the peak of their car's capabilities. Think of the fastest ET you've ever run in your car.... Now think of the slowest..... If that difference is more than 3 tenths of a second, you get my point. If it's not, you are a god.....or more likely you haven't been to the track more than once. Not even the best drivers I know are more consistent than that.

I'm not going to get into the rwhp dyno argument, because dyno numbers are never consistent, and noone really cares what a car dynos when they're beating it in a race.

Chris

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I have only been to the track twice, first time the car was lowered with a short shifter but otherwise was stock i ran 13.2-13.7 that day. Second time best was a 12.87 worst was a 13.2 with a lid, catback and headers. It was also 15 degrees warmer the second time.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

So.... yeah

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post
    So.... yeah
    I think your point was well made...

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I know i wasnt disagreeing with you. Just posting my times cause im gay. Yes the only way to tell who is faster is to race. I have never lost to a mach 1 with bolt ons. Someday i might but not until next spring lol.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

I know i wasnt disagreeing with you. Just posting my times cause im gay. Yes the only way to tell who is faster is to race. I have never lost to a mach 1 with bolt ons. Someday i might but not until next spring lol.
    I might just get to experince the joy of Racing a 6-speed LS1 alot sooner then I though... against the Mach1 of my friend ofcourse... I'll tell ya how that goes... but it wont be too fair for him... because it will be a C5 Vett...

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

So what does that mean, i have taken c5 vettes, they are lighter but have that pesky IRS not as good for drag racing. I think that will be a close race, the vette is stock right?

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

So what does that mean, i have taken c5 vettes, they are lighter but have that pesky IRS not as good for drag racing. I think that will be a close race, the vette is stock right?
    we'll be going from a Roll... just like last time... only this time I'll be runnin the C5 Vett my dad is curently in the process of purshasing...

the weak link there...will be me as the Un-experienced Driver... and the 100% Stock Vett (that wont last long)...

not only that, but the Mach1 is gonna get a Dyno tune... probably before any racing can happen

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

It will be close the t56 requires some practice.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

It will be close the t56 requires some practice.
    my dad's already buying a ShortShifter... he hasn't even done the Tittle exchange(spellin?)

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Mine came with one on it, makes the shift to 3rd gear so much easier, but the gears are so close. I had driven alot of stick cars before i got this one, the supra and like 25 others, but this car took a little getting used to. The 6 speed means 1st and 3rd are like 1/4 an inch apart lol.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Mine came with one on it, makes the shift to 3rd gear so much easier, but the gears are so close. I had driven alot of stick cars before i got this one, the supra and like 25 others, but this car took a little getting used to. The 6 speed means 1st and 3rd are like 1/4 an inch apart lol.
    damn... well I've only ever really driven...a Miata... before this... Manual... so... I guess you can say...I have to take what I know from that, and add it to what I know from driving a LS1 with cheap tires...and tie it together...

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Have fun lol. Just remember its not your car, SLAM THOSE GEARS

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Have fun lol. Just remember its not your car, SLAM THOSE GEARS
    LOL... yeah, but if I fuck it up... I can say goodbye to my Camaro... cause he'll keep it (even if its under my name)... and tell me...well you deal with the Fucked up Vett with your own money!!...

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

If my car can hold gears beiong slammed that vette can do it once.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

If my car can hold gears beiong slammed that vette can do it once.
    Miata's done it a few times... and it's engine is leaking from everywhere... so it's ok I guess...

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Hell, the vette doesn't really even need a short-shifter in my opinion. The mustang needed one badly, but the vette feels like it already has one. First and only time at the track in my '97 yeilded a 13.2@108 in 80 degree heat. I think it was a high 1.9 or low 2.0 60' on the stock EMTs. The best part about the vette, though, has nothing to do with the performance ... Let's just say, chicks dig vettes, and guys think they're worth more than they really are.

Chris

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post
    Hell, the vette doesn't really even need a short-shifter in my opinion. The mustang needed one badly, but the vette feels like it already has one. First and only time at the track in my '97 yeilded a 13.2@108 in 80 degree heat. I think it was a high 1.9 or low 2.0 60' on the stock EMTs. The best part about the vette, though, has nothing to do with the performance ... Let's just say, chicks dig vettes, and guys think they're worth more than they really are.

Chris
    I look Foward to asking my dad to let me take out to Cruise at night, around all the clubs and such... with the Top Down...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information