Can/will a ported & descreened maf cause the SES light to come on?

I decided to remove my Granatelli MAF andreplace it with a stock MAF that I ported, polished and descreened. The car started right up but the SES light came on about 5 minutes later. Taking it down the road, you can definetly tell something isn't right. I disconnected the battery for a couple hours and hooked it back up with the same results.

Has anyone else ran into the problem before? I double checked everthing and none of the tiny resistor were damage or dirty. I did how ever remove the "black" ends that cross the center of the meter, just like they said to do at INSTALLUNIVERSITY.COM

So now my car is out of commision until I find out what the heck is going on. With my luck it is probably something entirely different than this MAF I'm working with.

Any advise for me?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Before jumping to conclusions I would get the codes read so you know where you're at. Yes, I have heard of people having issues with ported and descreened MAF's. That's why I always tell people to leave them stock. Get the code read though because lots of people run them without issue.

Since I don't have a way to get a reading, I'm going to just order and NEW MAF and go from there. This way I will have enough parts between the 2 that I could possible swap out different parts to see if there was an improvement or not. I can't see by removing a severely restricted screen,along with 2 flat metal dividers and smothing it all out would not yeild some zHP/TQ gain.

What are your guys .02 on this matter???
    98' SS convertible
    #1730 6spd. Red

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Don't you have a parts store nearby? They'll read the code for free and it takes like 2 seconds to do it. Might save you a bunch of money.
    The screen is there to straighten the airflow. The MAF is also calibrated to have the screen in there. I could see a very small gain if you removed it and then recalibrated the MAF but IMO it's not worth the headache and risk for such a small gain. Tons of people swear by that mod but I don't agree with it. The stock MAF works fine the way it is.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Don't you have a parts store nearby? They'll read the code for free and it takes like 2 seconds to do it. Might save you a bunch of money.
    The screen is there to straighten the airflow. The MAF is also calibrated to have the screen in there. I could see a very small gain if you removed it and then recalibrated the MAF but IMO it's not worth the headache and risk for such a small gain. Tons of people swear by that mod but I don't agree with it. The stock MAF works fine the way it is.
    X2 - i don't think the small gain is worth the headache. When i take apart my intake i always find some kind of crap stuck to my maf screen. Without the screen there it would be sucked into my engine.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Put the granatelli back on until you figure it out, if that was not throwing codes.

I sold the Granatelli. I ordered a NEW maf and I'm just going to put it on and leave it be.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Oh, I thought that was too easy, If it was a lean code you can bet that it was the maf because my slp unit did it often until I put the stocker back on.

Something easy to check is the ENG SEN fuse - maybe it blew and threw P0102 for low frequency. Just an idea....

Thread Information