Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

Sorry about the lack of updates, but engine sims are showing upwards of 300chp...

Started fabricating the alt mount brackets. Just so you know, the stock RWD 60* brackets will work with some minor modification, but I need room for some turbos...

Not really happy with the placement of the alt. Lower would be better, but the huge engine mounts are gettin gin the way. I made this prototype out of some scrap AL (probably see the extra tooling marks in it, lol). Might move it to get some more room for the headers.
    3.4/3500 Twin Turbo almost complete
    I have CNC machines, contact me if you need something. 3500 top ends available.

-John

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Looks like its coming along pretty well. I cant wait to see it when its done and what kind of power it makes. I guess the hardest part is finding time to work on your own stuff. LOL.

Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    Looks like its coming along pretty well. I cant wait to see it when its done and what kind of power it makes. I guess the hardest part is finding time to work on your own stuff. LOL.
    I hear ya. 4 kids, two jobs, four cars, no time for social life outside the PC, lmao.

Got a little more done today.

Enlarge the holes a little on the P/S bracket...

A/C bracket needs one new hole...

The neighbor at the shop re-builds alts and starters, and I asked him today if he has any GM alts layning around. He said yes, but if yours works, I'll rebuild it for free, and it will look "pretty". Let's see what kind of job he does, neighboly love for ya, lol.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

lookin great man, cant wait to see the finished project , u'll have to post vids

Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

Before cleaning/glass beading....

Close up of the holes enlarged on the iron head coolant neck. This means so far all the stock brackets can be used, but I will have to machine an adapter...

Cose up of the mounting holes moved...

Some new problems arised, though. Now the TB isn't going to work, it's on up-side down in the pics because the black alt bracket and alt is in the way. I may have to swing the alt down a little and fabricate a replacement (for the small black bracket), re-configure the TB, or use another TB. The alt bracket has two bolts and only two contacts on the head, this could be unstable at high RPM's, so need to figure out something to make to hold the bottom bolt hole to the lower boss on the front of the pass side head.

The A/C bracket, I feel comfortable with. It has two bolts to hold it, with opposing contacts on the head for stability, but the new bolt hole is through some thin cast aluminum and I don't want it to break. To remedy this, I plan on using a steel sleeve over the bolt behind the bracket - so it gets "sandwiched" between the bracket and head when torqued down.

Impounded

maple red metallic
    2000 firebird formula

i never really payed too much attention to the 3rd gens ..but after seeing your car and how good it looks im startin to dig em.....i guess its because most of the 3rd gens i see on the road are not well maintained and look like terds ...but when theyre in the shape that yours is in they really are nice cars.

Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by the_formula View Post
    i never really payed too much attention to the 3rd gens ..but after seeing your car and how good it looks im startin to dig em.....i guess its because most of the 3rd gens i see on the road are not well maintained and look like terds ...but when theyre in the shape that yours is in they really are nice cars.
    Funny, I think the same things about 4th gen Fire Turds, lmao.

Thanks for the props, it's looking good on the engine sims and airflow calcs

576bhp twin turbo at 12psi with 11.5:1 compression on pump gas,

300bhp N/A on the same engine.

No boost is going on until I see 250whp.

Your car looks good, gotta love the 'Birds, the are teh shiznit.

Can you imagine what we can do with an LSx? I have a passion for the 60 Degree V6, but anything with internal combustion intregues me.

We are getting ready to mod a 327 Fiero with Patriot AL heads CNC ported by Patriot with SS valves, and dual quad 550 carbs with a manifold ported by your truely

My favorite build to date is the "Moustang". It ran 11.8x all motor and 10.3x juiced. It has a 355SBC carbed with 250hp adder. On the th400 and stock Ford 8.5 rear, painted Chevy Orange baby.

Impounded

maple red metallic
    2000 firebird formula

Quote Originally Posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
    Funny, I think the same things about 4th gen Fire Turds, lmao.

Thanks for the props, it's looking good on the engine sims and airflow calcs

576bhp twin turbo at 12psi with 11.5:1 compression on pump gas,

300bhp N/A on the same engine.

No boost is going on until I see 250whp.

Your car looks good, gotta love the 'Birds, the are teh shiznit.

Can you imagine what we can do with an LSx? I have a passion for the 60 Degree V6, but anything with internal combustion intregues me.

We are getting ready to mod a 327 Fiero with Patriot AL heads CNC ported by Patriot with SS valves, and dual quad 550 carbs with a manifold ported by your truely

My favorite build to date is the "Moustang". It ran 11.8x all motor and 10.3x juiced. It has a 355SBC carbed with 250hp adder. On the th400 and stock Ford 8.5 rear, painted Chevy Orange baby.
    im curious to see what this v6 is gonna put out....looks like you know your shit on these 6ers....

Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

I know I haven't posted in a while, but The old engine is out, the bay has been cleaned/painted, removed a couple uneccesary things, and neatened it up a bit...

Not going to build two sets of headers, so the turbos are going on soon

Silver
    Chevy Camaro RS

Quote Originally Posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
    Clevite 77 bearings and a .010" under reman crank...
    Where did you get the crank? Do they make em for 3.8's?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Looks to be a cool sleeper project!

Keep us posted on your progress.

What are you running for mufflers?
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    What are you running for mufflers?
    A pair of to4e's

Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by my_first_camaro_1998 View Post
    Where did you get the crank? Do they make em for 3.8's?
    It's just a stock reconditioned crank. This motor is actually going to be temporary, I'm going to put a full FWD block and all in, the newer generations of 60 degree's have much better oiling and a roller cam, not to mention the steel machined crank, snaped rods, main cap girdles, windage tray, and piston oil squirters etc. There's just a few details to get one installed, but I really want to get a tubular k member before that happens (unless I just blow this one up and need a replacement ) because of various changes like the starter being on the wrong side, square oil pan with no frame notch, DIS wheel being 52x instead of 7x etc.
    Last edited by Forced_Firebird; 07-22-2008 at 07:54 PM.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

you've probably said it before in here...but that appears to be a 3500 upper plenum. is that correct?

Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    you've probably said it before in here...but that appears to be a 3500 upper plenum. is that correct?
    Yes. It's a 3500 top end on a 3.4 block and pistons. 11.5:1 compression and a 285 cam.

Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

So, they finally meet...

...and the madness begins.

I had to move the A/C bracket down, now the stock P/S isn't going to work. I'm going to use a signaw P/S pump with remote reservoir, and the alt had to be relocated, but things feel like they are moving again...

1958 chevy pickup 283
    02 gmc z71 5.3L white

thank god, finally an update.... looks bad ass!!!!!

Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

Had a couple hours to work on it tonight and got the driver's side tacked in place...

Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

Swapped the rear out of an '85 T/A, and also the 3" exhaust whil I was at it. The rear is a 9 bolt Borg Warner with disk brakes, the exhaust is a Dynomax cat-back.

Enjoy...

The previous owner of the T/A told me it was a Dana 40, but oh well. The 3.42 posi is better than the 3.23 open, and I got disk brakes to boot.

Took about 7hrs working by myself, with many breaks, including one that was about 1 hr long - soccer try outs for my 9yr old was today, and she would have been dissapointed if I didn't go She hung for a while today, then the two boys came out and watched for a bit. They all love watching the car being worked on. My 3yr old girl has known what a turbo is for the last 1.5 yrs haha (aka: "turbogirl").

Now, to get spacers to run the 11" wide Drag-Lites, the 'Bird will have traction!!!

Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

Well come to find out the rear is a Dana M78 (AKA 9 bolt or Aussie rear from Holden) and has a 7.65" gear, 3.45 gears woot!

The other turbo came in, I sealed up all the welds, and started grinding them down to look pretty after cermic coating...

I thought I was going to be able to keep the power steering and A/C, but after checking the final resting place for the driver's turbo the stocker P/S has to go. The A/C compressor is now quite a bit lower, and I think it actually looks neater this way. I have a manual steering box to use temp, perhaps a Signaw remote res pump will fit, but I'll try that later. Will have manual steering for the moment (at least I still have A/C haha). There might be room in front of the passenger head, we'll see...

Thread Information