Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Holy cow new M5

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2006 GTO

Yes, it is a good car. A comfortable sedan that can still perform while weighing in at two tons is awesome. I'm just arguing that there are obviously cars in it's price range that can take it out pretty easily.

Red
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by 91Z28
    Yes, it is a good car. A comfortable sedan that can still perform while weighing in at two tons is awesome. I'm just arguing that there are obviously cars in it's price range that can take it out pretty easily.
    And I'll agree...

Flash007
    Hi guys, my first post in the new LS1. Had many on the old forum by the sig Flash.

For what it is worth, the new M5 has been run by several mags in Europe and everytime it hit 125 mph in mid 13 sec ( M6 high 12) and 0-62 (NOT 60) in mid 4 sec.

For those that is interessted, I can give you some links to videos from both M5 and M6 against some other nice cars. Just give me a hint. Dont want to start posting links to other cars in my first post.

It is close to the E55 until 100 mph and then it walkes away, unlimited it will run +200 mph and a delimited version can be bough from BMW.

They have just recently recieved you shore and most of them are probably still fresh. Until the first sevice they are locked in P400 mod. meaning only 400 Hp.
    They are very fast but a modded LS1 will run away and hide from it. At least some of the really fast LS1`s you guys have.

BTW: It will not run until 10 000 rpms, its more like 8500 rpms. I have had only 1 hours seat time in one, but it was the fastest thing I have ever driven.
    Last edited by Flash007; 12-02-2005 at 04:07 AM.

I can't believe this thread is still alive !, well my mods are FTRA, LID, LM that is it. I also had 2 adults. If I'm fibbing so be it call me out. I won't cry, I just post results. I don't don't need a video camera in my car for memories, I won't forget that kinda stuff. Peace. Also I had him by 1 car, hardly impressive. What gets me is he stayed back. Now maybe he just gets scared at triple digit numbers ??? Who knows ?, I said I was impressed at the strength of this LS1 for obvious reasons.

Now maybe I can get another 3 pages of posts on my topic

Flash007
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger731
    I If I'm fibbing so be it call me out. I won't cry, I just post results. I don't don't need a video camera in my car for memories, I won't forget that kinda stuff. Peace. Also I had him by 1 car, hardly impressive.
    Not questioning you story at all, just wanted to share some basic info on the new M5.

But you are wrong in 1 thing, to take out a M5 running at full song with 1 length is very impressive, well done.

RED
    Commodore VX SS

I believe you took him out but regardless of that... the LS1 is the worlds best 'bang-for-buck' engine.

No engine can gain so much power from so little modification for so little money. I have little more than the bargain basement sedan in Australia, yet I can take 90% of cars at the lights.

By the way, BMW have always been underpowered, even the M series.

Red
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by drone14
    I believe you took him out but regardless of that... the LS1 is the worlds best 'bang-for-buck' engine.

No engine can gain so much power from so little modification for so little money. I have little more than the bargain basement sedan in Australia, yet I can take 90% of cars at the lights.

Here we go... Base price of the car itself, can bite your bang for the buck in the ass... Mods in itself yeah LS1's perform great with bolt ons. I don't deny that one bit.

I wouldn't call a 500hp saloon underpowered, but each to there own...

Flash007
    Quote Originally Posted by drone14

Underpowered, compared to what ?

1979 M1, 3.5 277 Hp
    1981 M5 3.5 286 Hp 160 mph 4 door saloon was not bad in the early 80 ties.
    1984 M6 3.5 286 Hp
    1988 M5 3.5 315 Hp
    1988 M3 I4 2.3 - 2.5 200 - 238 Hp
    1992 M5 3.8 340 Hp
    1993 M3 3.0 286 Hp
    1996 M3 3.2 321 Hp ( M Coupe/Roadster from 1997 same engine)
    1999 M5 V8 5.0 400 Hp
    2001 M3 3.2 343 Hp
    2005 M5 507 Hp
    2005 M6 507 Hp

The "problem" you have in the US is that it was not until 2001 you got the real M engines in the 3 series, not sure when you got the V8 M5.
    Before that you had to deal with a modified normal BMW engine put into something they called M3 for the US marked. That thing was nothing against most of your V8 powered cars.
    It had to do with price and the fact that it HAD to be available with auto. No M engine car has ever been available with auto and to date that still goes.

But I agree the LS1 is a very capable engine, and extremly easy to midify.

BTW your Holden comes with a LS1 as well right ?

Red
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Flash007
    BTW your Holden comes with a LS1 as well right ?
    Well I for one, hardly see it as underpowered...

Anyway LS2's are in the Holden's (GTO)..

Hi, first post at these forums. Recently sold my '94 cobra and may be in the market for an early ls1 in the next couple months so i figured i'd read up a bit.

FYI the new M5 can beat a SRT-10 on a racetrack- obviously it can't outdrag an ls1 that someone modified for that express purpose, but i don't think it's fair to call anything a luxobarge if it can beat a viper on a roadcourse. The M5 is an amazing car even at its pricepoint, as is any ls1.

NBM
    '00 Z28

Anyone else in here getting sick of everyone saying "Oh but if I put "x" dollars into my LS1", or, "Yeah, so what, this LSx powered car could beat that", or any of the other basic "blah blah anything but LSx's are crap blah blah."

It's starting to get really ricerish in here with all that crap.

pewter
    1999 Z28

He probably didn't realize you were racing him.

Red
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by toneloc60
    Anyone else in here getting sick of everyone saying "Oh but if I put "x" dollars into my LS1", or, "Yeah, so what, this LSx powered car could beat that", or any of the other basic "blah blah anything but LSx's are crap blah blah."

It's starting to get really ricerish in here with all that crap.

Agreed!!!

john
    Here's a Top Gear review on the M5. Worth checking out.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...top+gear%22+m5

john

Quote Originally Posted by ZedTwoEight
    He probably didn't realize you were racing him.

yeah not noticing my headlight jumpin up n down behind him he was
    then when i was next to him

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731
    I was comming home from LA on the 5 South. Doin 70ish in the fast lane. It was dusk and I see a car comming in and out of traffic. I pull behind it and tail from about 100 feet. I see i's a M series then I see the 5, I'm like - I'm gunna get smoked . Well I'm layin it into 3rd hard and needin to shift to fourth a few times. Well we got caught in traffic then the road opened up. Nice. I get behind at 70 about 100 feet back. I nail 3rd and as the rpms come up I start to reel him in. At 130 pullin 1 car. Holy cow ! Well after that he wasn't tryin so hard to loose me and just stayed back. Nice. I can't believe how strong this LS1 is. Oh he was by himself and I had 2 adults in my car !

A GTO or Z06 would have killed it.

Thread Information