Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Well, got the fronts all put back together. After screwing with that spring compressor for 30 min I took it to our local garage and 5 min later that had both the new fronts reassembled.

Only prob I had is on the passenger side top shock mounts the bolt won't go into the hole in the engine bay. I tried moving the other back so I know its not the bolt. I have 7 of the eight all torque'd down to spec, just can't get the one to fit into the hole. My next door neighbor told me to go get a tap and dye and it should be an easy fix. We'll see. Front stance looks damn good. Can't wait til the rear is done.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    Only prob I had is on the passenger side top shock mounts the bolt won't go into the hole in the engine bay. I tried moving the other back so I know its not the bolt. I have 7 of the eight all torque'd down to spec, just can't get the one to fit into the hole. My next door neighbor told me to go get a tap and dye and it should be an easy fix. We'll see. Front stance looks damn good. Can't wait til the rear is done.
    I had to bend mine a bit to get the tips of the bolts through the holes. Just use a big crecent wrench on the corner of the mount right next to the bolt to "adjust" it's angle.

-Eagle

2000 C5 Torch Red

Well, just got it all wrapped up. Thanks to Mrr23 and Ntimid8er for all the advice. You guys are fantastic.

Before:

After with 1" drop: (It's filthy)
    Last edited by chuckie669; 05-26-2008 at 08:14 AM.

white
    2002 B4C

Nice!

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

dude one hot car, lucky you...

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by TedsB4Csled View Post
    Let us know how it goes!
    how it went, wow, let's just say i could never do this for real money.

I did the rear shocks in about, 2-2.5 hours. I took my time and moved like a snail for some reason. The rear is very easy, i was impressed how simple it is.

the front, goodness, slow doesn't describe my pace. I think I spent 14 or so hours. I would say 10 of those was just one side, with one pit stop for new end links.

I thought I was making good time by how the tear down went. Then I hit the rusted nuts. I think I spent close to four hours with a dremel on those freakin things. And about 1 hour on the first shock trying to figure out how to get the top mount off.

So i decided to do something you shouldn't, lol.. I slowly let the spring compressor out until the top went shooting out of the garage, lol... I followed the directions, never put your face in front or over the top, lol... Scared the crap out of my wife, lol... The first one didn't pop too much, didn't even leave the garage. The second one though. I almost dented my wifes car in the drive way, oops.

My tips for this install, have a good work bench and vice because a garage floor is uncomfortable and slow. Have better cutting tools because while a dremel is great, it is very slow. and don't start the project at 1 or 2 in the afternoon if your as slow as me, .

And be prepared to break stuff. The nuts on my end links were rusted just as bad as the shocks. I may be in FL but we get lots of rain, and I go to the beach a few times a year. It may not be snow and salt, but it can still cause a ton of rust. I think every bolt or nut I have turned on my car so far has been a rusty nightmare. PB Blaster is good, but I bet A torch would work better, wish I had one or knew how to use one.

other than that, it was fun, way better than changing motor mounts, lol...

BTW, this is a great thread and sticky, thanks mrr23 and the rest of the guys.
    Last edited by kool-aide; 05-26-2008 at 08:26 AM. Reason: wanted to give props for the sticky.

2000 C5 Torch Red

Congrats on getting it done. Your method sounds a little scary, but no injuries so it's all good.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

scary, lol...just holding a tool in my garage is scary.

Well, The dremel tool in that tight area can only do so much. I kept cutting and grinding until it was almost gone. I tried pounding it with a punch and hammer but it wouldn't budge.

So I figure what great force than the spring. I knew it would pop it off. I figured as long as the spring compressor was on it would on pop with the force of the shock. Well the last one I think popped with some spring force too considering it went half way down the drive way.

I tried the split the nut idea that mrr23 had, but i had so much damage I could get the nut to split. Every thing was just so fused that while cutting i swear it was welding itself together.

white
    2002 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aide View Post
    how it went, wow, let's just say i could never do this for real money.
    The next time you'll be faster. But probably as dangerous! LOL!

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

well, next time will be this weekend. I just found out late this afternoon one of the shock mounts broke. The inside tube spacer thing that keeps it from going to far down the shaft on the shock ripped out. So I have one bad mount and one questionable mount. I hope I am faster next time, lol...

The good news is no cutting or grinding this time. And I shouldn't have too much trouble getting the springs compressed and the old mounts off. The next help should be the end links. I noticed the guy at the shop got the shock off with out taking the end links off, damn Haynes manual.

I'm shooting for twice the shop manual time, so that puts me at 6.4 hours which crosses lunch so like 7 hours, 8 to get the tool rental. I'm hoping to do one on Friday and the other on Saturday, yeah right, lol...

white
    2002 B4C

oh no!!!

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

yep, and what really kills me. I'm not buying any more parts, so I don't get the benefit of new upper arms or anything while I'm in there. It's like another practice round, lol...

white
    2002 B4C

Well I have begun! Wish me luck

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

good luck. I think air tools would have made it go way faster. using regular hand tools to compress the spring is very slow, and gets tough on the fore arms.

Uncompressing the spring at the final leg on the car wasn't too bad. You just have to be aware you don't get much room. its, the lower bolts to the lower a-arm that always frustrate me.

white
    2002 B4C

Making a video of it. Just loosened tire lugs and all top mounting bolts. Jacking the car up in a few minutes. Then going on a road trip, so I'll be doing more tomorrow.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

good luck, hope all goes well for you.

white
    2002 B4C

Got home early and pulled off pass side shock/spring assembly. Got it in spring compressor. I see what you all meant about the rust. Mine is not as bad, but it's still gonna be a pain to get that damper nut off. Are these the right torq specs; front shock: 2 bottom bolts/nuts @ 48 ft-lbs, 2 top bolts @ 37 ft-lbs, 2 top nuts @ 32 ft-lbs...sway bar/stabilizer bolt @ 17 ft-lbs...damper bolt 'snug' with thread loc...upper control arm castle nut @ 72 ft-lbs?

white
    2002 B4C

OK, got damper bolt off and shock will still not seperate from spring? Loosened spring compressor, no luck?

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Ok, first, put the spring compressor back on.

The shock is fused to the shock mount. If you have that nut off from the top, there's about 1500lbs of pressure stored in that spring. If it just happens to let go... that shock mount assy is going to be one helluva projectile.

I had to cut my shocks off my springs. Sawzalled the shocks as I couldn't get them to seperate at all.

Please put the compressors back on there until the mount is removed... hate to see you injured.

-Eagle

white
    2002 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    Ok, first, put the spring compressor back on.

The shock is fused to the shock mount. If you have that nut off from the top, there's about 1500lbs of pressure stored in that spring. If it just happens to let go... that shock mount assy is going to be one helluva projectile.

I had to cut my shocks off my springs. Sawzalled the shocks as I couldn't get them to seperate at all.

Please put the compressors back on there until the mount is removed... hate to see you injured.

-Eagle
    I didn't take the compression tool off, just loosened it. Sorry to mislead you, there is some compression. Don't want any projectiles till the Forth of July! I will get sawzall and cut it. Thanks!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information