Black
    1999 Trans Am

Replacing blown speakers...I don't have a clue what I need

Basically my friend's have managed to blow one of my door speakers, both rear seat speakers, and both hatch speakers. I'm looking to just replace all of the speakers with something that will not blow. I definately want to keep the stock Monsoon head unit. I will more than likely be building my own box to house a 10" sub in the empty space on the side of the t-top storage area. (I'm assuming I will need an amp to power the new sub.)

I'm pretty much clueless about anything to do with watts, resistance, and all that when it comes to the speakers and amps and stereo systems in general. (I can figure out how to install everything though. That won't be a problem.)

I'm really not looking for amazing sound quality or volume capabilty, just something that my retard friends will not be able to blow with their rap music...even if that just means getting over-the-top cheap Wal-Mart speakers or something.

Like I said, I know nothing about ohms or anything, so I was wondering if anyone could list out exaclty what I would need to accomplish having a non-blowable sound system. Or if someone could list out exaclty what components they are using.

This is what I assume I will be needing:
    Speakers (I've read other threads, but I'm still confused on what sizes I need, and all the 3-channel and 4-channel junk.)

Sub (I know I'll need a 10" but I'm not sure on wattage or ohms ratings or anything.)

Amp (Same story--I'm clueless)

Thanks to anybody that can help me.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Also, will I need a crossover or a capacitor or any of that other fancy stuff? Or should I be fine without those?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Bump...and I'm going to simplify this a little bit...

What speakers do I need to buy for my stock Monsoon system so that they WILL NOT blow?

What do I need to buy to install one 10" sub? What kind of amp do I need, etc?
    (Just components that I'm unsure about...I can figure out how to mount the sub and stuff)

To add the sub and amp to the stock system do I need anything else?...crossover?...capacitor?....

maple red metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I had sony explode speakers in my old car man and I really hit them with some serious stuff. As far as I know about the 4th gen monsoon system in order to put a sub and an amp in one, the monsoon amp will have to be bypassed. If someone else knows of a way, by all means let me know.

red
    1998 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    Bump...and I'm going to simplify this a little bit...

What speakers do I need to buy for my stock Monsoon system so that they WILL NOT blow?

What do I need to buy to install one 10" sub? What kind of amp do I need, etc?
    (Just components that I'm unsure about...I can figure out how to mount the sub and stuff)

To add the sub and amp to the stock system do I need anything else?...crossover?...capacitor?....
    First of all i dont wanna sound rude but get rid of that stock head unit and buy a nice deck. Then just get the wiring harness for that deck with the sub and amp outputs on the deck and u dont have to worry about ne thing else except buying a wiring kit and hooking it all up. I had a 2000 z28 with and alpine deck and 2- 12's diamond audio no extra or necessary things needed. Any questions let me know and im also not claiming to know everything about an install i just know wat worked for me.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by miller456 View Post
    First of all i dont wanna sound rude but get rid of that stock head unit and buy a nice deck. Then just get the wiring harness for that deck with the sub and amp outputs on the deck and u dont have to worry about ne thing else except buying a wiring kit and hooking it all up. I had a 2000 z28 with and alpine deck and 2- 12's diamond audio no extra or necessary things needed. Any questions let me know and im also not claiming to know everything about an install i just know wat worked for me.
    I will consider a new deck, I just kind of wanted to keep it completely stock looking and be able to still use the steering wheel controls without doing anything extra. Do you recommend not keeping the Monsoon system just to make the additional stuff easy to install, or is it to improve the quality of the system?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by formula2432001 View Post
    I had sony explode speakers in my old car man and I really hit them with some serious stuff. As far as I know about the 4th gen monsoon system in order to put a sub and an amp in one, the monsoon amp will have to be bypassed. If someone else knows of a way, by all means let me know.
    Do you have any information on how how to do the bypass for the amp?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by formula2432001 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    Do you have any information on how how to do the bypass for the amp?
    Sorry, nevermind. I didn't make it to your last sentance the first time I read it.

red
    1998 camaro z28

Well I kept the monsoon system i just bought a new deck and hooked it straight up with the wiring harness kit. Another thing i found out from alpine they make another kit easy to install they you can make your steering controls functional but when the deck comes with a remote y would u need to make those functional in the first place. I bought mine specifically b/c the sun would always shine on the face and i couldnt see ne thing so i got the tilt face. The monsoon system will work with another deck but if u wanna keep the stock head unit and hook ur stuff up im not really the one to ask b/c a new deck will greatly improve the quality of sound out of everything u install.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by miller456 View Post
    Well I kept the monsoon system i just bought a new deck and hooked it straight up with the wiring harness kit. Another thing i found out from alpine they make another kit easy to install they you can make your steering controls functional but when the deck comes with a remote y would u need to make those functional in the first place. I bought mine specifically b/c the sun would always shine on the face and i couldnt see ne thing so i got the tilt face. The monsoon system will work with another deck but if u wanna keep the stock head unit and hook ur stuff up im not really the one to ask b/c a new deck will greatly improve the quality of sound out of everything u install.
    Ok, I'll definately consider it. I definately need to do some more research on car stereos......until now I had no idea a deck and a head unit were two different things. lol

red
    1998 camaro z28

sorry man a deck and a head unit are the same thing just different terminology, my bad on my part shouldve explained a lil better.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

new HU will improve quality as well -- the stock unit is the primary source of distortion

how much are you willing to pay for everything? speakers don't need to be the greatest (high end components, etc) if you are adding a sub since you can let that handle the bass -- but either way you will blow any speaker at high volumes using the stock head unit due to the distortion it creates at higher volumes

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by fredmr85 View Post
    new HU will improve quality as well -- the stock unit is the primary source of distortion

how much are you willing to pay for everything? speakers don't need to be the greatest (high end components, etc) if you are adding a sub since you can let that handle the bass -- but either way you will blow any speaker at high volumes using the stock head unit due to the distortion it creates at higher volumes
    I'd like to pay as little as possible. Like I said, I'm not looking for great quality, just something that my friends won't be able to tear up by turning the volume all the way up. (I do wan't the larger sub though...I've heard cars with and without an aftermarket (10" +) sub...and I need one.) I'll pay as much as I need to to acheive this, but I'd like to keep it as low as possible.

Thread Information