Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1Mustang View Post
    i will tell you what, you tear down a 4v mod motor and put it back together.
    i have done this with several ls1 motors but the 4v mod motor is just crazy.
    I've seen it done. The valvetrain is ridiculous.

Blue
    04 Mach 1

yeah, that is what i mean, i was not about to dive head first in that.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Bah! Tain't hard. This is a picture taken 90 minutes after the 2004 NMRA Kansas City final round...

That was my post-race winner's tear down.

Blue
    04 Mach 1

highly trained pros!!!!!

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I believe in the potential of the foxbody, but I just dont like them. I think they are ugly, I much rather have the 4 valve cobra or mach1. Much more sexier and I like the thought of having more power with heaver car. To me the foxbody is almost like an import. They are light and have some power (more then ricers) in them.
    But again i still rather have a foxbody over any POS ricer

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    I believe in the potential of the foxbody, but I just dont like them. I think they are ugly, I much rather have the 4 valve cobra or mach1. Much more sexier and I like the thought of having more power with heaver car. To me the foxbody is almost like an import. They are light and have some power (more then ricers) in them.
    The only Mustang I DO like is the LX Notchback, or "Trunk" what we like to call em' down here. With a cowl hood (absolutely no wing), some sort of take off production wheels, and smooth paint they look menacing.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Weight is the enemy of performance. Adding power to overcome weight can work (think GT500 - lot of power, but quite the porker), but is also harder on everything in the driveline, and generally decreases the performance of the car. High HP/dyno numbers are good for bragging rights only.

I've never heard of a Foxbody Mustang even sort of compared to a ricer. That's a new one.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Saw a kid at the track last night in a 91 5.0 run a 17.5, i asked him to show me the motor it was a v-8 then i simply said you are the worst driver i have ever seen and walked away

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    Saw a kid at the track last night in a 91 5.0 run a 17.5, i asked him to show me the motor it was a v-8 then i simply said you are the worst driver i have ever seen and walked away
    I know there slow, but not THAT slow!

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

way more economical to build a decent foxbody platform to run similar times to a mach 1.

fox body like a ricer? what are you smoking man?

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Wait im not saying ricer, im saying import. I hope no one ever rices them out. But the imports relay on low weight with some power. That is just the way I see, I know there is probably no one out there that agrees with me but oh well.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Wait im not saying ricer, im saying import. I hope no one ever rices them out. But the imports relay on low weight with some power. That is just the way I see, I know there is probably no one out there that agrees with me but oh well.
    what in gods name are you talking about? what imports are you referring too. because unless its of the front wheel drive 4 cylinder variant, they arent any lighter than most other domestic cars.

skyline isnt light, supra isnt light, all the dsm's were pigs, the evo isnt necessarily light either.

you think that a civic is "quick" because it weighs 2800 pounds and has maybe 130 rwtq??? that isnt quick at all.

a fox body is smaller than todays muscle cars in regards to wheel base, but i dont see how a mustang is reminiscent of an import in any way.

we're talking about a 2900-3000 pound 5.0 liter v8 with gobs of torque. have you ever been in a fox body? you all think the ls1 breaks the tires loose??? shit, the 5.0 in that car demolishes the tires with signifcantly less throttle than it takes to do it in f bodies. granted if you drop the hammer in our cars it eats em forever but the foxes are alot more torquey than i think some of you realize.

thats weight bud. you take the amount of mods you plan on doing and do em. then you have a guy with a corvette do the same amount or alittle less and you have a bit more power.

at the strip...youre losing.

10's N/A

I think what "JWon" is referring to when he says "ricer" pertains a little bit to the performance of a fox-body. And he has a point. Stock 5-0's were pulling mid-low 15's right there with the Eclipses, Preludes, Integra's and so on, and if I recall right, most guys did compare the performance of the foxbody (and SN95's) to the import cars. Now I could be wrong but that's what it sounds like to me.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Some 5.0s weigh 3000 some weigh up to 3300, and they dont make more torque than a ls1 car, unless they are modded, however the size of them is alot different. I have driven my friends 5.0s plenty of times.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    what in gods name are you talking about? what imports are you referring too. because unless its of the front wheel drive 4 cylinder variant, they arent any lighter than most other domestic cars.

skyline isnt light, supra isnt light, all the dsm's were pigs, the evo isnt necessarily light either.

you think that a civic is "quick" because it weighs 2800 pounds and has maybe 130 rwtq??? that isnt quick at all.

a fox body is smaller than todays muscle cars in regards to wheel base, but i dont see how a mustang is reminiscent of an import in any way.

we're talking about a 2900-3000 pound 5.0 liter v8 with gobs of torque. have you ever been in a fox body? you all think the ls1 breaks the tires loose??? shit, the 5.0 in that car demolishes the tires with signifcantly less throttle than it takes to do it in f bodies. granted if you drop the hammer in our cars it eats em forever but the foxes are alot more torquey than i think some of you realize.

thats weight bud. you take the amount of mods you plan on doing and do em. then you have a guy with a corvette do the same amount or alittle less and you have a bit more power.

at the strip...youre losing.
    And I don't know who told you 5-0's have "Gobs of Torque". They were decent for their time. They will break the tires loose...slightly. But Gobs - no way! The torque of a 5.0 is NOTHING comparable to an LS1 or LT1's larger displacement motor. I've owned a M5 '90 GT in 2000 that had shorties, H-pipe, Flows, CAI and 3.73s, and I would get ran by LT1's that were bone stock on a regular, and LS1's...let's just say i'd let off the gas by second gear. The car made 186rwhp@4200/231rwtq@3800 when it was stock, and those are about average #'s. I sold the car after about one month and bought a T/A. My LT1 stock made 283rwtq by 3000-rpm, and it's an A4.
    Without "significant" mods, a 5-0, despite the lightweight, is slow - Trust me.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    I think what "JWon" is referring to when he says "ricer" pertains a little bit to the performance of a fox-body. And he has a point. Stock 5-0's were pulling mid-low 15's right there with the Eclipses, Preludes, Integra's and so on, and if I recall right, most guys did compare the performance of the foxbody (and SN95's) to the import cars. Now I could be wrong but that's what it sounds like to me.
    if a v8 fox body pulled a low 15 stock, then i cant see any of the cars you mentioned in that same model year pulling similar times. fox bodies are cheap and ridiculously easy to mod, which is why they stomped nearly every 3rd gen f body gm brought out. how do you compare a pony car to an import, especially a fox body? you cant. thats idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    Some 5.0s weigh 3000 some weigh up to 3300, and they dont make more torque than a ls1 car, unless they are modded, however the size of them is alot different. I have driven my friends 5.0s plenty of times.
    when did i EVER say that a fox body makes more torque than an ls1?? when?

Pewter
    2000 z28

look i hate to burst your bubble but all your hating on ford really gets to the point of illogical. its stupid. who the fuck compares a mustang to an import. i have never seen a gt lose to any kind of stock import besides an evo or sti and things comparable. when i had my dsm i used to waste gt's but my car wasnt stock.

the sn95s werent compared to imports...where do you get this?

the ls1 is compared to the pinto. i said it so it must be true.

weight again has nothing to do with the nationality of a car, and thats probably the stupidest thing ive ever heard.

i understand alot of you dont like ford. i never said i was their fan boy. but why be so naive about it. my buddy just got beat by a very mild heads/cam 91 notch. we're talking about a .477 lift cam and stage 1 heads. if foxes are comparable to imports, does that mean that a prelude or a civic is going to come along and beat my 6 speed and my buddys auto, both ls1's?

10's N/A

if a v8 fox body pulled a low 15 stock, then i cant see any of the cars you mentioned in that same model year pulling similar times. fox bodies are cheap and ridiculously easy to mod, which is why they stomped nearly every 3rd gen f body gm brought out. how do you compare a pony car to an import, especially a fox body? you cant. thats idiotic.

Let's skip a few years ahead when there "were" much of the import competition out. The SN95 was brand new (still had a 5.0 underneath), and the fox-bodies were in their prime. An Integra GSR with the right driver was good for just that, mid to low 15's in the low-low 90's. Motor Trend got 14.9 in a '95 Type R, 15.1@93 in a Turbo Eclipse, and 14.9@93 in a Honda Del Sol VTEC. 5-0's were right around that alley.

And for the record, 5.0's "stomping" 3rd gen Camaro's was a myth. A 5-speed 5.0 (305) Camaro would run right with it, or even pull a stock 5.0. They were pretty even, despite what most will tell you. You don't believe me, go look at the road tests.

10's N/A

look i hate to burst your bubble but all your hating on ford really gets to the point of illogical. its stupid. who the fuck compares a mustang to an import. i have never seen a gt lose to any kind of stock import besides an evo or sti and things comparable. when i had my dsm i used to waste gt's but my car wasnt stock.

the sn95s werent compared to imports...where do you get this?

the ls1 is compared to the pinto. i said it so it must be true.

weight again has nothing to do with the nationality of a car, and thats probably the stupidest thing ive ever heard.

i understand alot of you dont like ford. i never said i was their fan boy. but why be so naive about it. my buddy just got beat by a very mild heads/cam 91 notch. we're talking about a .477 lift cam and stage 1 heads. if foxes are comparable to imports, does that mean that a prelude or a civic is going to come along and beat my 6 speed and my buddys auto, both ls1's?
    Huh?

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Noone here said we hate mustangs

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information