Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

ASR-Traction control

I am making this thread to hopefully stop all the threads on this topic. I am copying this directly from the Camaro owner's manual.

ASR (Acceleration Slip Regulation)

Your vehicle may have a traction control system called ASR that limits wheel spin. This is especially useful in slippery road conditions. The system operates only if it senses that one or both of the rear wheels are spinning or beginning to lose traction. When this happens, the system for V8 engines works the rear brakes and for V8 and V6 engines reduces engine power by closing the throttle and managing engine spark to limit wheel spin.

The "Low Trac" light will come on when your ASR system is limiting wheel spin. You may feel or hear the system working, but this is normal.

The ASR system may operate on dry roads under some conditions, and you may notice a reduction in acceleration when this happens. This is normal and doesn't man there's a problem with your vehicle. Examples of these conditions include a hard acceleration in a turn, or an abrupt upshift or downshift.

If your vehicle is in cruise control when the ASR system begins to limit wheel spin, the cruise control will automatically disengage. When road conditions allow you to safely use it again, you may re-engage the cruise control.

When the system is on, the "ASR OFF" warning light will come on to let you know if there's a problem with your ASR system.

When the "ASR OFF" warning light is on, the system will not limit wheel spin. Adjust your driving accordingly.

The ASR system automatically comes on whenever you start your vehicle. To limit wheel spin, especially in slippery road conditions, you should always leave the system on. But you can turn the ASR system off if your vehicle gets stuck in sand, mud, ice, or snow.

The ASR system warning light will come on and stay on. If the ASR system is limiting wheel spin when you press the button, the warning light will come on -- but the system won't turn off right away. It will wait until there's no longer a current need to limit wheel spin.

You can turn the system back on at any time by pressing the button again. The ASR system warning light should go off.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Great post! Thank you, quick question on the same topic...is it possible to overide the ASR completely? I'm having a new chip burned soon, and am wondering if they can do this while they're "in there". I know SLP offers a "reverse" module, but I don't know if that triggers the "ASR off" light. I certainly don't want to stare at that forever. Any help would be appreciated.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 01LSS6Camaro View Post
    Great post! Thank you, quick question on the same topic...is it possible to overide the ASR completely? I'm having a new chip burned soon, and am wondering if they can do this while they're "in there". I know SLP offers a "reverse" module, but I don't know if that triggers the "ASR off" light. I certainly don't want to stare at that forever. Any help would be appreciated.
    I am pretty sure that anyone with PCM tuning capabilities could disable the "ASR Off" light.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Hell , just put a piece of black tape over the light if it bothers you .

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

I'm thinking that when I get off my lazy ass and rip open the dash to overide the auto headlight operations (another thread) I'll just pull that bulb out at the same time, then head down to my tuner and say "Let's do it!"

White Liquid Silver
    2000 Camaro SS/ 02 YZF-R1

The auto headlights is just a switch under the center vent that needs to be unplugged and jumped, takes only a few minutes...

Nuclear Cat Will End All LS1Powerhouse's Avatar
    Edwardsville, IL (So. IL Univ. of Edwardsville)

Mystic Teal
    1999 Camaro Z28 - A4

so i take it ASR can be turned off and on while moving?

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Powerhouse View Post
    so i take it ASR can be turned off and on while moving?
    absolutely!

ok i just got a 99 z28, which was previously modded by the guy b4 me, and my ASR light is always on and i can't turn it on or off, is that what the SLP reversale thinky do? im wondering if the guy b4 me put one in. i like that its always off cause i drive sideways alot. but with the snow comeing, i might want to turn it on when needed.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

The SLP module reverses the factory setting and it is off until you turn it on at start up. You should still be able to turn it off. Something is wrong here.

ya i had a feeling there was a problem, but no trouble codes come up when i scan it. well i guess i'll just deal with it. my old g-body didn't have any traction control so im use to it

blue

thank you

White
    1995 Firebird

I have a 1995 3.4 L V-6 Firebird automatic and my brakes started doing this, though not when accelerating. In the last ~5 seconds of a stop (hard or soft stop), the ABS system seems to kick in and the car stops stopping (kinda like the brakes are slipping, but it is probibly the ABS not letting the brakes lock up). Then it would recatch and stop me and the low traction light comes on. Is that typical? Or is there a way for me to stop the problem? It just started happening today and I haven't tried to drive it yet after the trip, so maybe it will not do it anymore (crosses fingers). But if it does, what are your guy's suggestions?

RED (M6)
    2001 Camaro SS 13.39@106

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I am making this thread to hopefully stop all the threads on this topic. I am copying this directly from the Camaro owner's manual.

ASR (Acceleration Slip Regulation)

Your vehicle may have a traction control system called ASR that limits wheel spin. This is especially useful in slippery road conditions. The system operates only if it senses that one or both of the rear wheels are spinning or beginning to lose traction. When this happens, the system for V8 engines works the rear brakes and for V8 and V6 engines reduces engine power by closing the throttle and managing engine spark to limit wheel spin.

The "Low Trac" light will come on when your ASR system is limiting wheel spin. You may feel or hear the system working, but this is normal.

The ASR system may operate on dry roads under some conditions, and you may notice a reduction in acceleration when this happens. This is normal and doesn't man there's a problem with your vehicle. Examples of these conditions include a hard acceleration in a turn, or an abrupt upshift or downshift.

If your vehicle is in cruise control when the ASR system begins to limit wheel spin, the cruise control will automatically disengage. When road conditions allow you to safely use it again, you may re-engage the cruise control.

When the system is on, the "ASR OFF" warning light will come on to let you know if there's a problem with your ASR system.

When the "ASR OFF" warning light is on, the system will not limit wheel spin. Adjust your driving accordingly.

The ASR system automatically comes on whenever you start your vehicle. To limit wheel spin, especially in slippery road conditions, you should always leave the system on. But you can turn the ASR system off if your vehicle gets stuck in sand, mud, ice, or snow.

The ASR system warning light will come on and stay on. If the ASR system is limiting wheel spin when you press the button, the warning light will come on -- but the system won't turn off right away. It will wait until there's no longer a current need to limit wheel spin.

You can turn the system back on at any time by pressing the button again. The ASR system warning light should go off.
    I actually had a decent pass at the track with having ASR on. (accidently)

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Holy old thread resurection......

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    The SLP module reverses the factory setting and it is off until you turn it on at start up. You should still be able to turn it off. Something is wrong here.
    i have found that simply taking a piece of tape and taping the switch down, this will automatically turn the system off when you start the car, this is the same result as the 70 dollar SLP module

Pewter
    2001 Z28

Cant you just take the fuse out for it, that is under the hood?

Red
    1998 Z28

I have the "ASR Off" light when the car starts, but then turns off, and i also have the "Low Trac" light only under hard braking. but my car doesnt try to limit wheel spin under acceleration. I didnt have a switch, but i do have the wiring for a switch next to the fog light switch..Do i not have ASR??

EDIT: just found out that the RPO code for ASR is "NW9", if that helps anyone. figure my car is wired for it, but doesn't have the solenoid to limit the gas pedal (which im only assuming it does)
    Last edited by JacobLS1; 08-27-2012 at 05:39 PM.

factory metalic red
    2002 Z28

Where is the asr button located?

Sent from my SPH-D600 using Tapatalk 2

Red
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ttop View Post
    Where is the asr button located?

Sent from my SPH-D600 using Tapatalk 2
    In the dash, next to the Camaro insert just above the radio.

Thread Information