Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by fbodynut View Post
    Well I put my stronger return spring theory to the test today. Under all but the very hardest high rev shifts it works good. I burned up about a half tank of gas doing some errands and a couple spurts up the highway. During all this it only acted up a couple times.
    Now, am I covering up a problem by using the extra return spring?? Is the slave cylinder in need of replacement??... I think so.

Next step, pull trans inspect clutch disc, replace slave. In the mean time
    So your saying the stonger return spring helped a little but it's still sticking at high rpms correct?

Black
    2000 T/A

The pedal does return even under hard high rpm shifts, but at a slower rate, and only some of the time. Whereas before it was not returning all the way on every high rpm shift, whether I did a rapid shift or not. Now I am not talking about side stepping the pedal, just a fast depression and release.
    I can feel it not keep up with my foot when It does act up. But it does return every time. Just not as fast as it should, and that is when going into third becomes a problem.

Ugly but well hung, A-10 SS#1531's Avatar
    1998 Camaro SS M6 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by NvyBluMtlc02WS6 View Post
    I don't even have to get on mine. I have to pump my clutch a few time to get it to stiffen up. Just backing out of my driveway or stuck in slow traffic where i can't get out of first, my clutch will stick to the floor. It actually seems like it works backwards for me. The more aggressive i drive, the better the clutch feels. The slower i drive or have to ride the clutch in traffic, then it sticks or slips.
    I'm having the same problem as you, just started today. It's fine if I make my shifts fast even if I'm at high rpm. But if I drive slow the pedal sticks to the floor if I hold the pedal down for more than 2-3 seconds.

Black
    2000 T/A

I'm pulling the trans this weekend.

Black
    2000 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by SS#1531 View Post
    I'm having the same problem as you, just started today. It's fine if I make my shifts fast even if I'm at high rpm. But if I drive slow the pedal sticks to the floor if I hold the pedal down for more than 2-3 seconds.
    That is sorta the exact opposite of what mine is doing. My pedal will not return under high rpm conditions, but works great at lower rpms...
    Yours sounds more like fluid may be leaking by and not operating the slave like it is supposed to. Like I said early on in this thread, hyd systems are new to me, but I am getting a quick education.

Sorry, just felt the need to put that in there, couldn't help it

Black
    2000 T/A

Unhappy

ok,ok,ok,
    For those of you who are keeping up.
    Everything is out. Everything also looked good, except for the fly wheel. I have seen worse though. There were no signs of any leaking fluid. Even the clutch disc had plenty of material left on it.

So in talking with a few people and looking at this thing, I am guessing one of two things is/was happening. Either the slave cylinder was binding up on the input shaft at high rpm and not allowing the throw out bearing to fully contact the fingers on the pressure plate, like sticking half way through it's travel,... OR the pressure plate was failing. I wish I had found something obvious, and also had the energy and time to just replace the slave and test drive to narrow down what failed. Sorry. I am leaning toward bad/binding slave because of my stronger spring test.

Whatever the cause, once in there, I got to do what I got to do.
    Lightweight flywheel, and centerforce clutch set up on the way, along with of course a new slave/throw out bearing.
    Last edited by fbodynut; 09-11-2007 at 03:31 PM. Reason: additional info

Black
    2000 T/A

Everything is all bolted back up. Lightweight flywheel looks perrrty! Hope it works as good as it looks.....
    Now just have to wait on the exhaust, which is a two week backorder...bummer

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by fbodynut View Post
    Everything is all bolted back up. Lightweight flywheel looks perrrty! Hope it works as good as it looks.....
    Now just have to wait on the exhaust, which is a two week backorder...bummer
    Let us know how it turns out and how you like that aluminum flywheel or is billet steel?
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs

Sold 01 z28

Black
    2000 T/A

I will keep ya updated. I went with the aluminum flywheel. I had the same setup in 78' T/A and I liked the way it worked in that one. The engine reved alot faster with the lighter flywheel. And also no hydraulics to mess with. You pushed the pedal,something had to move. You let go of the pedal, it had to come back....unless something broke.

Pewter
    1999-TransAm LSX

I have had this problem for some time now.My clutch peddal stays at the floor when I really get on it hard,but was fine in every day driving.Never had any slipping of the clutch either, so I had them do a flush and fill on the trans fluid, that was black as coal and that seem's to have fixed it. Hope to get little more time on the clutch I'm at 68k.
    99 T/A WS6 LSX Pewter "BAD ASS" way to many things to try to list on here!

Pewter
    1999-TransAm LSX

Talking

OK, I had my tran fluid flushed and filled and it was as black as coal and like water. I took it for a run and it seemed fine so I hope that my clutch lasts for awhile more.

Black
    2000 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by transamgreen View Post
    OK, I had my tran fluid flushed and filled and it was as black as coal and like water. I took it for a run and it seemed fine so I hope that my clutch lasts for awhile more.
    No such luck for me. I bled mine until there was fresh clean fluid comming out, then kept bleeding until I had refilled the resevoir three more times. Made things better, but still wasn't 100%. So that is when I broke out the wrenches. Hopefully, my exhaust will be here tomorrow, and I can start getting this thing back together.

Pewter
    1999-TransAm LSX

Well good luck and hope that things go better for you.

Black
    2000 T/A

Hey, I know it has been several weeks, but...... everything is back together and is up and running. I put about 60 miles on the clutch today, and she feels good. Typical lightweight flywheel feel....you have come off it fairlly quick, and keep the revs up more than a stock setup.
    I believe in following the break in procedures, so I don't plan on putting the pedal on the mat for a few miles yet. I am guessing about a week of driving to and from work should do it.
    As with any mod, it is soooooooo hard to not just go pedal down and see what kind of difference there is in performance.

I didn't want to just leave this thread hanging, if any one was following along.
    Hope all the DOD workers had a good Columbus Day!!

Pewter
    1999-TransAm LSX

Angry This SUCKS!!!

Well so much for that!! The pedal is back to the same thing, when I get on it hard it stays to the floor a it is hard to shift!! Guess a new clutch is due.

Black
    2000 T/A

That does suck dude But hey, look on the bright side, now you can get a good set up and be done with it. You know you wanted to upgrade anyways
    Pretty soon you will be back to doin this...

Pewter
    2002 SS

Clutch sticks when cold

I searched the forum and couldn't find anything on the clutch sticking when the outside temperature drops. Last winter on our 02 Camaro, the clutch pedal started losing some of its firmness whenever the temperature droped below 40 or 45 F. After the weather warmed up, everything has been fine all summer. This morning it got to about 41 degrees and the clutch stuck to the floor. I added a little fluid and pumped it by hand and it started working enough to get to work. The fluid looked black, so I am sure it needs changed. Its an 02 SS with about 30,000 miles. But my question is, why would the change in temperature cause this to happen? Anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks for any help! Great forum by the way!

Black
    2000 T/A

Welcome to the hyd clutch fun club! Got me on the temp thing. It seems most eveyone else has problems when things heat up. I hate to see other people suffer, but at least you are not alone in your clutch woes. I still don't know what makes these things do all the wierd stuff they do.
    Allmost every one here has different symptoms.
    IT'S JUST NUTS MAN

Black
    2000 T/A

Hey Dutch,
    Even though your problem isn't mentioned specifically, flushing out the fluid seems to be the first step in every case. The best info is given on the first page of this thread and has a link that will show some good info as well.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Great write up! I’m fighting with this as well. I had the fluid changed a couple months ago and it helped a little bit, however my clutch still sticks pretty much any time I run through the gears hard. If I’m looking to get the LS7 clutch kit (clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and slave cylinder), should I still get the shop to do the drill mod on the stock master cylinder? I hate to have to shell out the $$$ for any unnecessary work, however if the drill mod is still worthwhile, I’ll be happy to put the money down upfront to eliminate this annoying problem.

The shame of it all is that many of us have pretty quick rides, however I’m hesitant to take a shot at racing some of the quicker cars on the road because I’m worried about the stupid clutch sticking!
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information