Red
    '97 Z28 M6

12" box INSTALL -- progress PICS (partial rear well box)

(final product thread)

Alright - here are some progress pics of the box (it's my first box, so criticism is welcome):

3/4" MDF used

The box works like the subthump boxes sorta I believe -- it rests on two rails I have running from one side of the well to the other -- the box is not suspended in air or anything like that..

-bracing will be added along the back bottom and front bottom
    -the top rear corner will be leveled off with respect to the plastic of the car

front will be shaped and rounded nicer...won't be able to tell and sanding imperfections once carpeted anyway

The pass side (where the box is not) will have a carpeted board filling in that space where I temporarily have floor mats, and an amp will rest on that (or I'll make a rack for the rear well wall) -- this will all be able to be easily raised to access trunk storage underneath the sub box and the amp rack -- my other smaller amp for front components will go where "stealth" boxes go on a board I have for there.

For now, I just need to glue it all together -- crap...just realized I didn't take pics with the sides in.....I'll get some of those later. Surrounding areas will be filled in with carpet, etc so it will look more "complete" that way as well.

as far back and level as I could get it

--When I had all my specs, I was a little over 1 cu. ft. -- which is what I wanted -- however getting everything to line up just right and changing some of the angles may have brought that number down slightly -- can always polyfill I guess.

----------------------------

EDIT: here are some pics I have from earlier that show the rails the sub is resting on -- just two pieces of wood I painted black -- they are NOT screwed in...they cannot move due to the small support beam I did screw in on the other side. Reason for this is so that I can easily unplug the sub/box, take that out -- then just be able to lift the boards without any tools and have use of my full trunk again.

Last edited by fredmr85; 06-17-2007 at 10:18 AM.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

completed install pics will be posted here

Black
    1998 Formula WS.6

Thumbs up

fredmr85,

It looks good so far I imagine it will look Tight once you have completed it. I can tell you have thought it out well with the rails and attaching everything. I know I could not do a job anywhere near as nice as that.

If I can make a suggestion if you can instead of Carpet wrap it in Vinyl atleast Vinyl the part that you will see. If you want I can email you a pic of my Subthump Millhouse box that has carpet everywhere except the front which is Vinyl? I think the Vinyl makes it look cleaner and Vinyl blends alot better with the interior trim pieces and an added bonus provides a much better stealth factor which is always good to keep away Low-Life thieves.

If you want the pic let me know and I will email it to you or tell me how to put a pic in the post like you did? Good Job so far I do want to see it when it is completed.

see ya
    Eddie

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Awesome suggestion - and I was just suggested that twice today actually. I hadn't even thought of that before because I have never made a box before, and just knew vinyl was harder to work with -- however doing just a panel or twp (the angled front being one, the "top" where I will level it out with the plastic being another small one) in vinyl and the rest carpet to blend better with my amp rack (and make it easier for a beginner to complete the box).

Thanks for the awesome suggestion -- I knew if I posted here I would get good suggestions/ideas I couldn't come up with on my own. Thanks!

(I'll have time today to glue it up and everything hopefully)

Any suggestions on the best place to purchase matching vinyl from? If you want to send the pic (only if you have some taken and it's convenient), my email is fredmr@gmail.com -- if it's easier for you to post it here, all you have to do is copy the IMG tag (there is usually HTML, IMG, and URL) from a place like photobucket where you may upload pictures (and just paste that directly in the thread).

Thanks again, Eddie.

EDIT: This is the site I came up with for vinyl.

I honestly have no idea what color/texture/whatever is the best match....I've got some searching to do.
    = : - >
    Last edited by fredmr85; 06-01-2007 at 05:38 PM.

Black
    1998 Formula WS.6

Glad to help you out.

I looked at every picture I have on the PC and not one of the front or vinyl side of the box. Give me a day or to and I will email you one.

good luck and glad I could help.
    Eddie

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

No prob -- take your time on the pic, no rush at all -- I probably wont get to carpeting until next weekend or the week after anyways -- I did glue everything up besides the top piece today though finally.

Thanks again!

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

are there any upholstery shops nearby? most will sell you vinyl by the yard. you can also check the different colors and grains to match your panels.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

good idea -- might be cheaper that way than ordering online -- and certainly MUCH better for matching......otherwise, I don't think I'd ever get a match -- thanks

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

any updated pictures?

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 96z28 View Post
    any updated pictures?
    not really - sorry -- busy during the week with work usually and stuff -- and when I do have time food comes first, then any sports that are on
    > : - >

-another thing that has held me back is the amp I plan on purchasing -- I haven't gotten the info I want yet from the seller -- and I didn't decide on a sub for this enclosure until today. My enclosure ended up at .75 cu ft rather than 1 cu ft. for a couple reasons (redesign of box to hid carpet seams, shorter to allor more clearance with well cover down, more "square-like" slightly to improve strength, a little bit of bracing as well, etc). However, I did decide that the sub I will be going with is the TC Sounds T-9, 12" model. Should work really well in there. Now that I have the sub planned I can go ahead and make the cutout in the box and finish gluing it together.

Here's all I got - pic with sides in - all sealed up besides the top (before final shaping/sanding) - top back corner will be leveled off with plastic sides obviously.:

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

will carpet tomorrow -- just needs the sub and minor sanding

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Finally carpeted -- sub mounted tomorrow -- however...I only have my 2ch amp that runs 300wRMS at 4 ohms bridged and my sub will be a DVC 4 ohm.....so it's not even worth hooking up since best I can do is 75 watts per VC... so hopefully they decide to finally ship my amp soon.

anyways, here are some progress pics -- keep in mind I was not trying to make it look factory, etc -- just decent enough to make my idea work (when amp does come it will fill the space right next to the sub box on the board there -- the amp for front components is mounted where stealth boxes go in the cubby secured withe galvanized steel wrap and bolts).

and yes I realize that the top part of the box by the plastic isn't level.....but the other side is level with the carpeted hatch release point which I found more important...and I wasn't about to make the top of the box uneven (can always just raise the plastic more also).

Last edited by fredmr85; 06-15-2007 at 09:05 PM.

black99, silverY2K
    1999 z28 & Y2K z28

I realy like the look. I bet it sounds good too, nice job.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

i didn't read the whole post cuz i gotta go to work in a few minutes...but what do you guys do with ur t-tops when you do this?

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    i didn't read the whole post cuz i gotta go to work in a few minutes...but what do you guys do with ur t-tops when you do this?
    finished product is here: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54103

as you can see....you can't do anything with ttops, because I didn't care about that (hardtop) -- look into Subthump.com boxes for ideas on how to retain ttop storage

Thread Information