Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    i was goin off of the computers calculation... is that bad?

also its the 2.2, auto, but i dont think transmission would make THAT big of a difference. my mom drives like a grandma i swear.
    Transmission makes a huge difference on economy cars. Manual transmissions are inherently more efficient, due to the fact they have less drivetrain loss, weight less overall, and have better gear ratios, plus a 5th gear.

When your dealing with a relatively small 4 cylinder engine, that the extra work it has to do to overcome the disadvantages of the automatic becomes rather important.

My family has an 03 Civic 5 speed, its managed as good as 42MPG on the highway. No way an automatic version of the same car would even come close to that.

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    yeah even if its true, im sure it wont happen for a ton more years
    acctually it does happen around the world but ohwell cant do anything about it

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

Quote Originally Posted by joejenkinsglass View Post
    acctually it does happen around the world but ohwell cant do anything about it

back 'n better than ever Kjz99z28's Avatar

White/Black
    1999 Z28

I got 28 mpg the other day on the highway in my Z. I was pretty happy with it.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Transmission makes a huge difference on economy cars. Manual transmissions are inherently more efficient, due to the fact they have less drivetrain loss, weight less overall, and have better gear ratios, plus a 5th gear.

When your dealing with a relatively small 4 cylinder engine, that the extra work it has to do to overcome the disadvantages of the automatic becomes rather important.

My family has an 03 Civic 5 speed, its managed as good as 42MPG on the highway. No way an automatic version of the same car would even come close to that.
    hmm.. yea obviously the transmission makes a difference, i just didnt think it made THAT big of a difference. thanks for the reply tho, i just learned that trannys do make a big difference

blue,blue
    00 z-28 m6, 06 H3

i was goin off of the computers calculation... is that bad?

also its the 2.2, auto, but i dont think transmission would make THAT big of a difference. my mom drives like a grandma i swear.
    trannys do matter. my car (00 z28 m6)gets like 26mpg on the hwy. my freinds
    00 auto z-28 gets like 18mpg . and that was running between 75-80mph
    LS7 clutch,01 slave,Corsa 3" stainless exhuast,drilled/slotted rotors + ceramic pads,160 thermo,Mti clear lid,msd 8.5 wires & Ngk plugs...more to come!
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2311455

Pewter
    '07 Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by jbb6811 View Post
    trannys do matter. my car (00 z28 m6)gets like 26mpg on the hwy. my freinds
    00 auto z-28 gets like 18mpg . and that was running between 75-80mph
    I hope he had some serious mods, cause my a4 t/a got as high as 27mpg on the highway running around 70 - 75 mph with 3.23 gears. My Dad's z28 gets 28 on the highway with 2.73 gears. Trannies make a difference, but only a few mpg, not 10. Somethings up with that.

Charming - on chevy's website they say the 5spd gets 25 city/34 hwy mpg and the auto gets 24/32.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by imflyn View Post
    I hope he had some serious mods, cause my a4 t/a got as high as 27mpg on the highway running around 70 - 75 mph with 3.23 gears. My Dad's z28 gets 28 on the highway with 2.73 gears. Trannies make a difference, but only a few mpg, not 10. Somethings up with that.

Charming - on chevy's website they say the 5spd gets 25 city/34 hwy mpg and the auto gets 24/32.
    ok thats what i was thinking. i really hope ur right

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

ok thats what i was thinking. i really hope ur right
    Those numbers are not accurate at all. Just so happens that the government tests suite the auto better than the manual version. They are actually reworking the fuel economy ratings so that they are more accurate for real world driving.

In real world driving, the manual will get better fuel economy 99% of the time. And its usually by at least a few MPG, with compact cars it tends to be even more.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

yea... like i said i knew manuals got better gas mileage, i just didnt know it was such a dramatic difference

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

well... with gas prices where they are, i better learn to drive stick.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I had the best gas mileage experience in my Trans Am this week. On my 1600 mile trip from VA to TX I consistently got over 26 MPG. My first tank I had the T-tops off and windows down and got 26.7MPG. My 4th fill up was a freak of nature though. Ran the A/C 75% of the time, raced a mustang twice, stuck in stop and go traffic twice for 10 minutes a pop, ran at 75-85 mph for a good majority of the time, and got 27.2 MPG!!! This was all on 93...

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by TX_WS6_02 View Post
    I had the best gas mileage experience in my Trans Am this week. On my 1600 mile trip from VA to TX I consistently got over 26 MPG. My first tank I had the T-tops off and windows down and got 26.7MPG. My 4th fill up was a freak of nature though. Ran the A/C 75% of the time, raced a mustang twice, stuck in stop and go traffic twice for 10 minutes a pop, ran at 75-85 mph for a good majority of the time, and got 27.2 MPG!!! This was all on 93...
    god thats awesome!
    i also went on a road trip in my moms cobalt. i drove like such a pussy, it got up to 47.5mpg. its an auto also!
    (everyone was sleepin, so i needed somethin to do. i changed the digi. display to show me my current gas mileage and played around to get the highest possible)

Pewter
    2002 camaro SS

I drove a rental AT cobalt for 3 weeks. That little 2.2L is a tiger. averaged around 23-25MPG. Not the greatest gas Mileage though. Now, If it would have had the manual, not only would it have been a blast to drive, but I'm sure gas mileage would have been much better. The computer is off by a little. Mine was telling me I was averaging 28MPG.

BTW, The Auto shifter was junk. The rubber thing in the shifter indicator bunched up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information