1999 z-28

how many ponies am i smoking?

forged internals
    comp cam .522/.529 lift .212/218 duration
    1.7 aluminum roller rockers
    full length headers 1 3/4 in primaries
    no cats
    flowmaster muffler
    how much horsepower do you think i am running. i just bought this car and did these upgrades recently. i am looking into getting a lid and a k&n next to get some breathing in this car but right now i am looking to beef up this shit
    4l60e tranny and torque convertor. and what type of convertor do you recommend? anybody know of any places to get my tranny beefed up in the phoenix area? thanks

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Camaro Z28

Between 345 and 360 rwhp...that cam is smaller than a hotcam and I made 365 rwhp with the hotcam, but I had a lid and a ported throttle body and dual cutouts over what you have.

phantom grey
    1999 z-28

what other cheap mods can i do to up the horses on this beast and how much power am i looking at? i heard something about the throttle body bypass. whats that about?

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by sradocena View Post
    what other cheap mods can i do to up the horses on this beast and how much power am i looking at? i heard something about the throttle body bypass. whats that about?
    i did the TB bypass, no noticeable gain in hp. but basically you take the two tubes that run coolant thru the TB to heat it up in cold conditions. bypassing this should make the intake tract a little cooler and give you colder denser air. like i said, it isn't noticeable, but if u ever need to take off the TB, u don't have to worry about the coolant lines ever again.
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

it looks like u can afford some good mods, so get the ls6 intake manifold, port and polish the stock TB. I heard flowmaster doesn't work well with our cars so u might want to get a different cat back or go true duals. lower that bitch and get new shocks, also get sub frame connectors and the strut tower brace. sway bars and LCA's will help a lot too. if u build up the drivetrain and get a badass rear end, i would say to top it off with a 100hp shot of nitrous. then u'd have one hell of a fuckin' whip.

Silver
    02 Z28

Everyone keeps saying the flowmasters are bad for our cars, is it the muffler thats the problem? I bought an 02 with a flowmaster catback the sound is a lttle obnoxious, but does it hinder HP.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Get a better catback and a bigger cam. You are losing about 25 rwhp. I would say you are putting around 350 to the ground, and with a mid 220-ish cam and a better flowing exhaust, you will put down about 375-385 to the ground.

With forged internals, you should look into a nitrous setup as well. A 150 shot and you should be golden.

Unfortunately, if you do these mods, you will soon be looking for a new tranny and rear end. Sorry, don't blame me, blame GM.

phantom grey
    1999 z-28

its already too late. my tranny already took a dump on me last week. what a piece of shit. should i get this 4l60e beefed up, or is there another auto that will be compatible with the ls1? what stall speed should i get if future mods will include bigger cam,heads,intake and nos?

phantom grey
    1999 z-28

i dont have a cat back because i dont have cats. what is the deal with flowmaster anyway? is it the hp rating or sound quality. it sounds nice and loud but not all that clean of an exhaust tone at above 4000 rpm. what do you recommmend? hp and quality sound muffler?

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Magnaflow and Hooker Aerochamber, if money is an issue. Borla would be my choice if I won the lotto. You will the sound of the Hooker at full blow!

I don't think you can go wrong with a 3K rpm stall no matter what your mods.

For some reason flowmasters sound flappy and sh*tty on Chevy V8's above 4K rpm?

Thread Information