Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red
    01 camaro ss

coolant bypass???

I have a 2001 Camaro SS and i was wondering what parts are needed for coolant bypass on the stock throttle body.

black
    2002 WS6

short list; two small hose clamps, two barbed hose fittings and a union to connect the hose fittings together, not sure on the sizes though.

Is this really worth doing?

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

no, all it does is slightly reduce the temperature of the throttle body due to the hot coolant flowing through it, but if you think about it the engine heats it up anyways

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

you will not feel a difference if you do it, just more chances of having a coolant leak or air in the system

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

It is worth it, its a free mod and has gains of a dyno proven 7rwhp. Not saying everyone will get 7 rwhp, but you should get a few.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

7 horsepower my ass, maybe 2 , but remember dynos are not that consistent, neither is the performance of your car, so unless you gain 15+ hp from something, you cant be sure of your results due to the error that appears between runs

red
    1999 WS6

I've done this mod but have not felt any hp gain. It was a free mod and didn't take long at all to do so I just did it.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Here's a LT1 dyno from WS6.com after coolant bypass http://www.bmrfabrication.com/tb-dyno.htm . It probably only makes 2-5 real world HP on the LS1, but it's cheap and easy to do. Every little bit counts.

I used the kit from here http://www.bmrfabrication.com/misc.HTM just so I didn't have to find the materials. I also liked the fact that it came with a billet aluminum connector and dust caps to seal off the TB pipework and keep junk out of it. All you need are 2 hose clamps and a piece of pipe small enough to fit into the hoses.

I bypass year round, since my car is garaged and never driven in cold weather. Some people prefer to bypass in the spring/summer/fall and not to bypass in the winter.
    Last edited by jag42420; 04-17-2007 at 07:02 PM.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by bobbert350 View Post
    I have a 2001 Camaro SS and i was wondering what parts are needed for coolant bypass on the stock throttle body.
    www.vincihighperformance.com sells it for $9.95

Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Wish I would have seen it there first....

1 rwhp confirmed on numerous dyno tests
    http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=13

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Which would be 1rwhp more than you started with, for relatively no cost.

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

Not to mention, it is that much easier to take the tb off in the future cuz there are no coolant lines attached.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Jon7I2 View Post
    Not to mention, it is that much easier to take the tb off in the future cuz there are no coolant lines attached.
    very good point. i didn't think of that. hopefully i can rake in some cash and have a reason to take the TB off
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

lol 1hp...thats right up there with a k&n air filter. if you are gonna go buy parts and do this you might as well save some $ and just buy 1 long piece of hose and attach it with the stock clamps. it'l save you time and money of using connectors and have less places for a possible coolant leak/ bottleneck. i've seen posts where people just used 1 long piece of (i think) 5/16 hose made it fit.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    1 rwhp confirmed on numerous dyno tests
    http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=13
    I just read that article. It doesn't actually have any data or dyno testing. It simply claims "there is no noticable gain from this mod, but a few people have consistantly run 1-2hp more on a dyno after this mod".

The problem with assigning a 'coolant bypass = x HP' is that there are not enough dyno tests out there to provide the proof. If you're running a CAI or a SS/WS6 with a sealed hood, you're going to get a little bit more from this mod. Why go through the trouble of using a CAI, just to have the air warmed back up at the TB? The LT1 dyno tests from WS6.com http://www.bmrfabrication.com/tb-dyno.htm , for example, showed an average gain of 5 more HP consistently with a peak gain of 6.3 HP.

While any way you slice it this is not a seat of the pants mod, it does in fact add power. Google search for coolant bypass and see what you get. No one doubts this adds power, just how much. The only F-body dyno test I can find shows 5HP average gains. Every 1 HP added is like dropping 10# from the car. Considering this mod is easy, quick, and cheap, I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to maximize HP.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    Which would be 1rwhp more than you started with, for relatively no cost.
    lol u guys, ok, run your car without the fucking mod , then run it again, i guarantee you have a difference in numbers of at least one hp, there is an error to the dyno, you cant prove that something gives you one horsepower

this has to be one of the most useless mods to the ls1. its a waste of time and thought. this is something a guy driving a fucking honda with a 4" tip would do to his car. puuleeaase

red
    01 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by senicalj4579 View Post
    this has to be one of the most useless mods to the ls1. its a waste of time and thought. this is something a guy driving a fucking honda with a 4" tip would do to his car. puuleeaase

i think your right that it might be a ricer type of idea but y not do this if you can get a cooler/denser charge of air comming into the motor for about 5 bucks y not do it...and even if you gain 1 horsepower or a tiny bit of power its still worth it

Thread Information