Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It would be interesting, but nothing special. At least, I wouldnt think so.

White & Burgundy
    94 Miata/87 442

AKIRA,

The MazdaSpeed Miata out of the box comes with a factory turbo setup making 178HP and about a 300# wieght advantage. Simple upgrades through BEGI or Flyin Miata get you well above Solstice/Sky GXP/Redline numbers.

If you are only going to go straight the Solstice/Sky may be a better choice, if you want to go left and right, expect to make major suspension upgrades to the car to get it to go around the track. The Solstice is very soft out of the box, both are a touch heavy but use force to get it around the corner.

I will put my stock motor miata, with lots of suspension upgrades, against a stock Solstice/Sky non-turbo all day long.

Remember the biggest upgrade to any car is the driver.

Black

heh its obvious your a die hard miata guy or you work for mazda... so your coming off opinionated

The solstice/sky is outselling the Miata because its a nicer looking car and way more comfortable...

Miata's always were like "jellybeans" on wheels and they are way outdated.

They may have a slight more "fun" factor over the solstice/sky but id take the Solstice/sy any day over the miata. Toss in the GXP version with 260 hp and its not even a contest.

260 vs 178? please

face it Miata = over...

And dont try to fit in the damn rx8... holy crap talk about midget "only" car...

Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

The sky looks the best out of the three, but if I were to buy one for performance reasons (which I wouldent) I would get the miata.

White & Burgundy
    94 Miata/87 442

Jimmy JJ. As a matter of fact I work in Detroit with GM, Ford and DCX (Chrysler for you). Born and raised in Flint, where they made the Grand National.

The issue is I don't watch NASCAR, so I have accepted that cars may need to go right.

I am simply making a straight up comparison. The Solstice/Sky is a nice platform, however in the end it falls short. With some better aftermarket help it will get there. Bear in mind the Miata has 17 years of sales and aftermarket engineering behind it.

You guys keep getting worked up over the 260Hp, show me how you are going to use it in a suspension setup that will not allow you to use it.....it will just be a big drifting show.

I have looked at and driven the Solstice/Sky. I may even buy one, but not to race.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 87rocket View Post
    Jimmy JJ. As a matter of fact I work in Detroit with GM, Ford and DCX (Chrysler for you). Born and raised in Flint, where they made the Grand National.

The issue is I don't watch NASCAR, so I have accepted that cars may need to go right.

I am simply making a straight up comparison. The Solstice/Sky is a nice platform, however in the end it falls short. With some better aftermarket help it will get there. Bear in mind the Miata has 17 years of sales and aftermarket engineering behind it.

You guys keep getting worked up over the 260Hp, show me how you are going to use it in a suspension setup that will not allow you to use it.....it will just be a big drifting show.

I have looked at and driven the Solstice/Sky. I may even buy one, but not to race.
    Drifting show??

We're talking about 2990lb 2 door roadsters here with fully independent suspension, not 60's Muscle cars. I don't know what gives you the idea that they Sky/Solstice can't handle their power or don't handle well, but out of all the people who have had experiences with the car, including owners, I've never heard that before.

As Jimmy said, sounds like you are a Miata diehard. Nothing wrong with that, they seem to have a cult following, but I think the Sky is a much nicer car. It looks nicer, it has a ton more power, and it can match the Miata in handling capabilities. Plus its American. Those things seal the deal for me.

Looks like its time to go to a stealership for a test drive!

White & Burgundy
    94 Miata/87 442

Have you guys read the reviews. The Sky is sprung too soft taking it to the edge, the Solstice is a touch better but not 100%. The car weighs in about 300 pounds more than the MXXXX, all the reviews I have read call it underpowered. The GXP version certainly has the power but with the wrong suspenion its gottting to be a drift show.

Who cares about 2990#, my car weighs in at 2415# and cay lay down very similiar HP numbers.

Look I like the Solstice/Sky, but stock its just not there yet. Have you seen where they put the battery, you have to take off a side panel of the car. At least Mazda just put it in the trunk to help wieght distribution. Have you seen the "trunk", with the top down I can still throw in some tools, brake fluid, chairs, etc and go to the track. For the Solstice you need a trailer to take more than a gallon of milk.

I just think the Solstice/Sky is a great LOOKING car, but if you put it up against a great PERFORMING car it will fall short. Go to the dealership and give it a try....

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

A solstice has the trunk space less than many motorcycles i've been around. It's sickeningly small.

I've read about the mallet conversion... now why the hell can it only run 12's .. sorry for 12's i'll take an F body any day.

They aren't cheap running almost 30K and hard for our local dealerships to get the GXP model.

Last non sales factor i know some guys in the body shops they say they are a tin can. absolutley no structure to protect the drivers.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

you need to do something with the injectors (probably computer tunning) because they don't automatically inject more fuel for more boost or something.
    we are putting a turbo kit on an LS cobalt at school and the turbo kit we found gives u another module to fool the ecm and a 5th injector to compensate for the forced induction. the injector goes behind the throttle plate i think. we havent got it yet. its hard to tune em because they have the CAN bus data lines and not many tuners can access it yet.

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Formula View Post
    A saturn sky with an ls7 would lead to sticky underpants.
    Mallet has made an Ls7 Solstice for about 6 or so months. Just couldnt remember the link for their site. http://www.mallettcars.com/solstice-conversion.htm here ya go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information