Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SLP MAF Sensor

Red
    2000 Camaro SS # 5,876

SLP MAF Sensor

Hey just wonderin if this will add some extra ponies??

Pewter
    02 Z28

ttt
    2002 Z28 Auto (3.23 gears)
    Mods
    Lid, UD pulley, Shift Kit, 160 Thermo, Y-pipe, Panhard, TB bypass, Bellow, K&N, Strut Brace, Flowmaster, weight reduction.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

moving to a forum where you'll get more replies. My personal opinion is to keep the stocker and spend that money elsewhere but that's just opinion.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z-28 SS

I think it will help at speed. It ain't gonna help you off the line. But at 1/8th mile down the track it is gonna help. Just like the slp cold air induction, in my opinion it will only help you while you are cruisin.
    2000 SS #1827,NBM,A4,leather,t-tops,lid,eibach springs,hotchkis lca's,slp lid,slp cold air induction,slp loudmouth,baer brakes up front,13.11@107 on street tires,12.90@109 on dr's....time for the cam and intake to be installed

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

I Have The Slp Cold Air Kit And The Mass Air Flow From Slp.. I Think They Work Great Together..!! I Had My Cold Air Kit On First And Notice A Difference Right Away.. Then About 2 Weeks Later I Install The Mass... Wow.. Did It Work.. Nothing You Really Notice.. But I Seen The Rpm's Move Faster Than The Stock.. It Will Come Into To Play More When You Get Heads And A Cam.. For More Air Flow Equalls More Power.. And The Stock Is Too Small To Register All That Air Flow.. You Can Fit Your Stock Mass Into The Slp One.!!!!!!

Hah, you can always tell when some asshole leaves his caps lock on.

I dont think you could tell a difference. I bought TByrne Maf Ends, which is roughly the same diameter of the SLP's unit and I coudlnt tell a difference with the SOTP meter nor the track.
    99 T/A M6
    LS6 intake, Hooker Coated Long Tubes, Y-pipe w/1 carsound cat, Hooker Catback, MTi Clear Lid, FRA w/ Holley Power Shot, ASP crank pulley, 1.8 RRs, 3.73s w/TA girdle & Eaton Differential, Granatelli SFCs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, LS6 Clutch, Diablo, TByrnes Maf Ends (in winter), All the Free Mods

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

MAF sensors are not a restriction until you start making some decent power. If you do switch them, it may affect the AFR...which could put you in a lean spot. If you do decide to run an aftermarket MAF, you should check the AFR with a WBO2 and consider getting a tune, tuning software, or at least a MAF translator to keep AFR's where they need to be (if needed).

MAF's are responsible for the majority of the fueling and report raw frequencies to the PCM. The PCM then looks that frequency up in a table (1,500Hz~12,000Hz) and finds the airflow associated with it. Change the MAF and that table is potentially no longer accurate, which can throw off your fueling/AFR.

Nothing wrong with the stock unit. If you decide to get one anyway keep the stocker. JMO

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

If your over 500 RWHP then maybe. However if your over 500 RWHP you damn well better be running a SD tune and not have a MAF anyway!
    Spend your cash on something else man...

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

My friend had a screwed up MAF, so he replaced it w/ a SLP 1. Now, he wants to sell the SLP 1 cuz he realizes it is not the ideal MAF to have for tuning. I guess, he has been talking to some tuners and they say that the stock 1 is best for tuning.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Your friends and his tuners know what they are talking about.

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

There is one benefit to the SLP unit over the stock one...

It doesn't heat-soak the IAT as much because it's connected to the lid with a below and not a metal housing. The IAT influences fueling and if it reads higher than actual temps, the AFR can lean out.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

It will make more power.
    Only because lean = power.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

lean also equalls pinging and detation.. which means bye..bye.. piston

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by WARP211 View Post
    lean also equalls pinging and detation.. which means bye..bye.. piston
    Which is exactly why you should stay away from the Delphi Z06 MAF.
    I mean the SLP MAF.

It is just badged by SLP.

From wht I've learned and my own experience the stock MAF is good for 500RWHP as mentioned above.Go to any speed shop and they'l have a drawer full of Granatelli's & SLP MAF's they've taken off customers cars.You can get them to work -but it takes major tweeking of the frquency tables to get the fueling correct and then the power gains are minimal.More critical with an A4 than a M6 as the trans uses some MAF information to measure engine load to make it shift---If you are gaining power with one --most likely your fueling was so far off from other mods that if brought it back closer to acceptable.

Silver
    1999 Chevy Camaro Convert

My tuner had me swap out my SLP MAF for a stocker cause it was very hard to tune. Also said the gas mileage would suffer and would not be consistent it made sense to get rid of it. Besides before the tune when I put it on before I had headers and ls6 intake w/a HP tune it didn't make any difference at all. I think it might only be beneficial to high HP applications like mentioned earlier at least 500 and up.
    99 Z28 VERT A4 MODS: B&M transcooler, LS6 Intake, Pacesetter LT, ORY pipe, Flowmaster AT cat-back, SLP LID, UMI SFC, Hotchkis RLCA'S & STB. Tuned by Speed inc.

Blue
    1983 Chevy Camaro Z-28

Mine took me slightly rich on the top end (5,000-5,500). Not a noticeable difference while driving the car or fuel mileage. Probably not worth the money. My set up is obviously different than most posting here.
    1983 Z-28
    LS1/4L60E - 342HP 362 ft/lbs

Quote Originally Posted by SSpdDmon View Post
    MAF sensors are not a restriction until you start making some decent power. If you do switch them, it may affect the AFR...which could put you in a lean spot. If you do decide to run an aftermarket MAF, you should check the AFR with a WBO2 and consider getting a tune, tuning software, or at least a MAF translator to keep AFR's where they need to be (if needed).

MAF's are responsible for the majority of the fueling and report raw frequencies to the PCM. The PCM then looks that frequency up in a table (1,500Hz~12,000Hz) and finds the airflow associated with it. Change the MAF and that table is potentially no longer accurate, which can throw off your fueling/AFR.
    I have been dealing with this very dilema for the past few weeks, and finally got it nailed down today.
    This car I purchased has some sort of aftermarket MAF,,,,either that or it has plastic ported ends installed on the original center body,,,,,anyway,,,the fueling was completely off in the upper rpm ranges.
    Although this car also has a camshaft similar to a Z06 grind, I don't think it was the culprit. I had a wideband AFR of 15:1 before I could get to 5,000 rpms,,,I just shut it down.
    I had to tinker with the MAF tables quite a bit from 6000 HZ on up to compensate for the lean condition,,,,adding 4-6% at a time until I finally had a WOT AFR that was exceptable. It was a pain to dial in. It's still not perfect but it's working... Considering my other LS1 car has the stock MAF,,,and it was a breeze to get the AFR dialed in.

So in a nut shell,,,,yes the aftermarket MAF's can be tough to dial in,,,and it caused an extremely lean condition in my case that took the better part of several days and 1/2 tank of gas to get it right. But it's what I have to work with so I stuck with it. If you have the software and the time,,they can be made to work.........

Yellow
    2015 Z06 Coming, 2014 Z51

Quote Originally Posted by Jon7I2 View Post
    My friend had a screwed up MAF, so he replaced it w/ a SLP 1. Now, he wants to sell the SLP 1 cuz he realizes it is not the ideal MAF to have for tuning. I guess, he has been talking to some tuners and they say that the stock 1 is best for tuning.
    It kills me when I read this stuff - If the tuners know what they are doing they should be able to adjust the tables in the MAF transfer functions for any meter. To say the stock meter will support 500hp is like saying the stock tires will goes 155 mph so why change them. I have a 2002 Trans Am that made 481hp at the tires N/A with STOCK MUFFLERS. So I guess I should start telling everyone there is no need to change the exhaust on the car because the stock muffler will support over 500 at the crank. While the statement may be true - you are still leaving HP on the table

Thread Information