Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    I'm gonna throw a twist on this thread from the cop's perspective of losing one.

I was a rookie on midnight shift (early '87), and my training officer let me drive every night. He usually nodded off about 0100. Well, one night I'm on an old country road and I see an '85 or so Mustang pull out and get on it about 1/4 mile ahead of me. I speed up and try to catch up with him. The road has some straightaways and some significant curves. On the straights, I can't catch up, but in one section of curves, I could close the distance somewhat. I wasn't running blue lights or siren, and my training officer, Gary, was still asleep up to this point. Well, now I'm pretty confident I am gonna get close enough in the next set of curves to get this guy's plate and light him up, so if he runs, I'll be visiting his house later. Now my cockiness (I admit it) takes over and I go in really hot to the next set of switchbacks. I enter in to the inside of the curve and let inertia bleed off by taking it wide going out while fade brakes into the curve, releasing mid-curve and applying power coming out. Well the first time, it brought Gary to semi-conscienceness, and he looked up as I was going into the next curve at a speed WAY over normal. Gary damn near broke the seat as he jerked up and gasped!!! Then he said, "What the hell are you doing boy?!!!" I told him I was trying to catch the Mustang in front of us. He looked at it (still about fifty yards ahead) and made a decision that he didn't trust me enough to continue. He told me to back the hell off, and I was forced to comply. The Mustang got away, although I never knew if he was really trying to run or just letting 'er rip.

Truth be known, if I had stopped him and he was cool, I would have just gave him a word of prayer and let him go. He was a pretty good driver, and the '86 5.8L Crown Vic I was driving was NOT a match for the power he had.

Now prior to being a cop, I did indeed run from a few. But I will never go further on that subject!!!
    sweet story man! shit im bored so heres another dip of mine. I was cruising around my buddy's neighbor hood w/ him when my car was pretty new to me. we get on this road thats straight as an arrow for about 1/2mile so i come to a stop to start from a dig and put it to the floor and went ripping through the gears got to the top of forth and decided to shut down cause it was fast enough for that road which i was fast approaching the end of. i get to the end of the road and pull out onto the main backroad real mellow like and im just cruising cause my buddy's house was only 100feet down on the right. so im puttin' along and theres a couple out in their front yard waving their arms at me but they didnt look pissed so they had me puzzled. then out of the corner of my eye i see it on my left side, theres a cruiser waiting for me sitting back off the road in someones empty drive way. so now turning into my buddy's driveway is out of the question so i cruise on by his driveway at 20mph and the cop pulls out behind me and i see hes already on the radio so i signal and take
    an imediate right onto this road that goes straight for about a hundred feet then theres a series of 90degree turns. i take one last look in the mirror and the cop is whipping up behind me, as soon as i got around the first 90degree I punched it and slid thru the second corner and never looked back, held it to the floor making a run for the highway and i just about make it til my buddy directs me down what looks to be some ones driveway, and it was. so we drive thru some ones back yard and connect to another dirt road that looks like it hasnt ben used in years and then we reach this gully in the road that theres no way the camaro is making it across so i had to back out for quite a ways then my buddy directs me down these other dirt roads and soon enough we're back at his house, I stash the maro in between his house and a fence so you couldnt see it from outside his yard. we grabbed a quick snack then jumped in his lil yota truck and go to roll out and theres a cop rolling down the same dirt roads we took. we get back out on the main road and theres another cop cruising through the neighbor hood, so we get on the highway to head to another friends house and theres cops all over the place, rolling down the highway, sitting in parking lots, they were looking hard for me. and the funny thing is nothing was witnessed really, they just heard me raging through the gears, they didnt even see me run from them cause i was out of sight before the cop made the 1st 90degree corner. they might of gotten a partial plate# but theres no way he got the whole thing. I didnt take any chances tho and i left my car in his yard til the next day.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

[QUOTE=pocheasy;621414]sweet story man! shit im bored so heres another dip of mine. QUOTE]

Sounds like you got very lucky!!! Usually, those getaway stories include some damage to the car which made it very expensive. Back in my youth and the days of SHP Grand Fury cars, I lost the front valance off of a '66 Mustang because I hit some RR tracks too fast and came back down on the valance, bending it badly. That was a learning process for me!!! My dad was a cop, and they were out-of-town at the time (1982 or so), and I got lucky enough to find a Wimbeldon white valance in a junk yard that cost EVERY penny I could scrape together and got it on before they got home!!! WHeww!~!!!

As a cop for over twenty years now I can say that I realize there are times when the "getaway" is one of those experiences that teaches as much as if the person got caught. In all honesty, I NEVER enjoyed writing a ticket to a person - except for a very few special cases - and especially didn't like doing it with kids. My biggest concern was that they understand that showing off, lettin' 'er rip, etc., can never take the place of safety. Killing yourself on a deserted road is bad enough, but running over a child in a neighborhood is much worse. If I had a word of prayer with a teenager and I sensed it sunk in, that was usually the end of it. If they actually did hurt someone, they got the full service. My goal was to try and keep it from happening. Me being the proverbial "authority figure" (read jerk) or calling parents was something I would do if I thought it would help. As a last resort, I'd write 'em.

For those who - once again - hate cops:

I was way from being perfect as a kid, and that's probably the reason why I so often doubt the "innocent me" stories I read from others. I really let a lot slide on the street, but if I got attitude too, then all bets were off. when I hear/read someone saying they would love to have "hit the cop", it tells me exactly what I have seen hundreds of times.

Cops don't hate hot-rodders!!! Most of us have a LOT in common. But if you feel the need to "hit one" for doing his job, then expect him/her to go to your ass. You might win, but trust me, you are better off not trying it. Be honest, and really consider if you made him/her stop you. It is very easy to justify a stop.

Like I said earlier, I wasn't perfect (still ain't), but give cops a little credit. We ain't out to get you. Getaway stories are fine with me.
    Last edited by jad628; 02-26-2007 at 04:05 AM.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

hahaha, I'm sure you cops got some good stories too of catching those who think they're slick. I've got an uncle in IL who told me they've got officers who lay in the grass in the median on the interstate and try to clock speeders. I take his word for it but I've never seen them. You ever heard of that Jad628?

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

jad628, it's good to hear it from your perspective. I think this thread is just as entertaining as it is educational which makes it such a great read! All these stories show that yeah, it's a huge rush to run from the "pigs" but is it really worth it in the end? I'd hate to get pulled over too but there are other things to consider like having an accident and hurting yourself or someone else. I've done some dumb $h!t in my days but luckily I've talked my way out of several tickets by just being polite and respectful.

Gotta pilot our rocket ships with some restraint!

7camaro7, they sit in the grass a lot in Louisville,Kentucky. All the time you can see tire tracks where cops do U-turns and punch it in the grass. They have unmarked and unbadged B4C's all over the place up here.
    Last edited by hoss 2000 z-28; 02-26-2007 at 07:27 AM.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    hahaha, I'm sure you cops got some good stories too of catching those who think they're slick. I've got an uncle in IL who told me they've got officers who lay in the grass in the median on the interstate and try to clock speeders. I take his word for it but I've never seen them. You ever heard of that Jad628?
    Ive never seen them do that, but they do play TAG, which consists of one officer sitting on a overpass clocking people speeding and he then radios another oficer on down the road with the discription of the vehicle then that vehicle gets pulled over.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I've heard of that

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    I'd be the first one to call them squirrels!!! It is NOT hard to catch speeders, that stuff is way over the top. Next thing you know they'll be wearing ghillie suits.

I do know a fellow officer who once sat in one spot on the median too long and his cats/exhaust caught the grass on fire underneath the cruiser. No damage, save for some burnt grass, but he came back out there later with a weed-eater, yep a weed-eater, and cut the grass down for later days. We gave him hell for that!!!

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by hoss 2000 z-28 View Post
    jad628, it's good to hear it from your perspective. I think this thread is just as entertaining as it is educational which makes it such a great read! All these stories show that yeah, it's a huge rush to run from the "pigs" but is it really worth it in the end? I'd hate to get pulled over too but there are other things to consider like having an accident and hurting yourself or someone else. I've done some dumb $h!t in my days but luckily I've talked my way out of several tickets by just being polite and respectful.

7camaro7, they sit in the grass a lot in Louisville,Kentucky. All the time you can see tire tracks where cops do U-turns and punch it in the grass. They have unmarked and unbadged B4C's all over the place up here.
    Absolutely. That's part of the fun of having a strong car....knowing you COULD, but don't have to.

I snuck up on a bunch of drag racers years ago (like 1989) in a business park. They raced at night, but made the error of going to the dead end for the START. Well, I waited for a run and let the two start back up towards the starting area, I stayed black and snuck in behind them. Busted!!! Or so they thought. I gave a little lecture about pre-arranged drag racing and confiscation of cars, but then gave 'em an attaboy for picking a spot that wasn't likely to get anyone hurt. I shot the bull for a while (one was forty-three years old) and looked at their cars. I told e'm to be careful because some cops/troopers would gladly take their cars and I didn't want that. I told 'em to have a good, SAFE, night and just drove off. I think they were in shock.

Much better than losing their cars I thought. Like I said, they at least picked a secluded spot to race.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

that was cool...

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by hoss 2000 z-28 View Post

SHE-YITTTTT! I'm about to be on my way to Chicago for spring break and my path takes me straight through Kentucky! Glad you told me! I'm not the type to race everyone but it is possible that I could've gotten bored on the way and seen one and played around. That would suck!

Black
    C5 M6 Vette

Heh ya, I live South of Louisville, and they have lots of unmarked camaros on the side of I-65 where the speed changes from 65 to 55 in the city. And as for getting away from the cops....never in a car but I've done some stupid things in my GSXR 600 when I saw those nasty blue lights flash. I hope stupidity doesn't take hold of me again, I might not get away next time =(

However I REALLY REALLY want to find some place where we can race, I dont just "run em" in the middle of traffic or anything stupid like that. We have preset sites where we race, but it's still public streets (some of them are actually Ft Knox and if we get caught there it's game over). If I had some money I'd buy a small strait piece of land near the highway and take any challangers there.....

Just once for me, driving in town between brick buildings... heading to a party and screwing around I was spinning the tires at every redlight, screeched nice and loud. Well I see a cop at a gas station flick on his lights. In a 25mph zone I took off at 75-85, at the end of the main stretch there are train tracks. I hit them flew about a foot off the ground, came down, sparks flying! My friend lived about 3 blocks up and 2 to the left, so flew to his place and in the back yard, lights off. I lost the cop at the tracks! I was maybe 18 and very stupid!!! Id never do something like that now.

Silver
    2002 Z28

[QUOTE=jad628;621426]
    Quote Originally Posted by pocheasy View Post
    sweet story man! shit im bored so heres another dip of mine. QUOTE]

Sounds like you got very lucky!!! Usually, those getaway stories include some damage to the car which made it very expensive. Back in my youth and the days of SHP Grand Fury cars, I lost the front valance off of a '66 Mustang because I hit some RR tracks too fast and came back down on the valance, bending it badly. That was a learning process for me!!! My dad was a cop, and they were out-of-town at the time (1982 or so), and I got lucky enough to find a Wimbeldon white valance in a junk yard that cost EVERY penny I could scrape together and got it on before they got home!!! WHeww!~!!!

As a cop for over twenty years now I can say that I realize there are times when the "getaway" is one of those experiences that teaches as much as if the person got caught. In all honesty, I NEVER enjoyed writing a ticket to a person - except for a very few special cases - and especially didn't like doing it with kids. My biggest concern was that they understand that showing off, lettin' 'er rip, etc., can never take the place of safety. Killing yourself on a deserted road is bad enough, but running over a child in a neighborhood is much worse. If I had a word of prayer with a teenager and I sensed it sunk in, that was usually the end of it. If they actually did hurt someone, they got the full service. My goal was to try and keep it from happening. Me being the proverbial "authority figure" (read jerk) or calling parents was something I would do if I thought it would help. As a last resort, I'd write 'em.

I was way from being perfect as a kid, and that's probably the reason why I so often doubt the "innocent me" stories I read from others. I really let a lot slide on the street, but if I got attitude too, then all bets were off. when I hear/read someone saying they would love to have "hit the cop", it tells me exactly what I have seen hundreds of times.

Cops don't hate hot-rodders!!! Most of us have a LOT in common. But if you feel the need to "hit one" for doing his job, then expect him/her to go to your ass. You might win, but trust me, you are better off not trying it. Be honest, and really consider if you made him/her stop you. It is very easy to justify a stop.

Like I said earlier, I wasn't perfect (still ain't), but give cops a little credit. We ain't out to get you. Getaway stories are fine with me.
    I would have to argue that you arent out to get us. Why are you always sitting on the road taking radar? And why are they doing it in sneaky ways trying to conceal themselves?

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

[QUOTE=jmhvenom;623674]
    Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post

I would have to argue that you arent out to get us. Why are you always sitting on the road taking radar? And why are they doing it in sneaky ways trying to conceal themselves?
    Fair question.

Did you see the numerous posted signs that advise you of the MAXIMUM speed limit? At which point does the offense change from YOUR decision to exceed it to one of the police being OUT TO GET YOU? Why are they concealed? Because even though most people have a tendency to talk smack about how they are unimpressed by LEO's, only the real idiots won't slow down when they see a marked car. I'm including myself in that. Quite frankly, if they are hidden well, you won't ever see 'em until you are stopped. That makes you RESPONSIBLE for your own actions. You didn't "slow down" because you saw a cruiser, you kept on at the same speed YOU chose to attain.

I've said it here many times, VASCAR makes RADAR detectors useless. You see two white lines on a stretch of road, one line of pink paint and a mile marker, two bridge overpasses, or any number of other references and you MAY have just been clocked/timed with VASCAR. My point is, you shouldn't have to see a cruiser to remember the speed limit is exactly that...a limit.

If you don't want a ticket, maintain the correct speed and drive with courtesy. It's really sour grapes to complain about a cop being "sneaky" when all they did was catch you donig exactly what YOU decided to do. To me, that is a far cry from "being out to get you". That means - to me - that a cop would lock you up - on sight - just because they don't like you. That is NEVER appropriate.

Oh, when was the last time someone who was using a radar detector ever cashed in on the company's guarantee when they got a citation?

Black
    C5 M6 Vette

I kinda wanna know what the best Detector is. I here new PoP3 detectors work best. But I've never owned one.

black
    1999 Trans Am

no the srt-4s cop cars are turbo charged i think but we have srt-8 chargers also

THE WS6 THAT COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird33 View Post
    no the srt-4s cop cars are turbo charged i think but we have srt-8 chargers also
    the school resource officer was bragging about how they just got charger cop cars and planes with radars on them so if you are speeding on the highway they can radio you in to the cops

NBM
    98 trans am

[QUOTE=jad628;621426]
    Quote Originally Posted by pocheasy View Post
    sweet story man! shit im bored so heres another dip of mine. QUOTE]

hey the only reason i said i wanted to "hit a cop"(which i sure as hell never would) is because he was being such a dick to me, he had no reason to do a field sabriety test(spelling?) and search me and all this other b.s, the stuff he was saying to me pissed me off so much....i just remained calm and stuff but he was such an asshole...he was just lookin for a teenager to pick on, i mean yea i was speeding and i deserved the ticket, but omfg...he claimed he smelled beer which i was in my moms car, no1 in the family drinks and neither do it, ive never even been around beer, neither have my parents....then he claimed i was smoking weed....and i dont smoke...thats why i dont like cops...

NBM
    98 trans am

[QUOTE=jad628;623708]
    Quote Originally Posted by jmhvenom View Post

Fair question.

Did you see the numerous posted signs that advise you of the MAXIMUM speed limit? At which point does the offense change from YOUR decision to exceed it to one of the police being OUT TO GET YOU? Why are they concealed? Because even though most people have a tendency to talk smack about how they are unimpressed by LEO's, only the real idiots won't slow down when they see a marked car. I'm including myself in that. Quite frankly, if they are hidden well, you won't ever see 'em until you are stopped. That makes you RESPONSIBLE for your own actions. You didn't "slow down" because you saw a cruiser, you kept on at the same speed YOU chose to attain.

I've said it here many times, VASCAR makes RADAR detectors useless. You see two white lines on a stretch of road, one line of pink paint and a mile marker, two bridge overpasses, or any number of other references and you MAY have just been clocked/timed with VASCAR. My point is, you shouldn't have to see a cruiser to remember the speed limit is exactly that...a limit.

If you don't want a ticket, maintain the correct speed and drive with courtesy. It's really sour grapes to complain about a cop being "sneaky" when all they did was catch you donig exactly what YOU decided to do. To me, that is a far cry from "being out to get you". That means - to me - that a cop would lock you up - on sight - just because they don't like you. That is NEVER appropriate.

Oh, when was the last time someone who was using a radar detector ever cashed in on the company's guarantee when they got a citation?

VASCAR? ive never heard of that...but one time i was driving and mine started beeping and a V poped up on the visuals...

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Ok, here goes. Old timer stories.

I had a 289 4V Falcon Sprint 4 speed and one of my buddies had a brand new 67 Chevy Nova SS with a 327 4 speed. I'm out cruising one night and pull up to a stop light. Suddenly my buddy's Nova pulls up along side. The street goes from 2 lanes to 1 lane on the other side of the intersection. Now, his Nova would eat my Falcon alive, but we were just screwing around. I start to tach up my 289 and he responds with his 327. The light turns green and we both nail the throttles. Lots of smoke and roaring engines, he hooks up and blows past me. As he's disappearing down the road, the inside of my car turns bright red. The cop car was right behind me at the light and neither of us noticed. I dive for he side of the road and the cop blows by me after my pal. He catches him about a mile or so up the road. I look at the situation and pull down a side street into a neighborhood. I slowly work my way through this housing tract to the freeway and head home. When I get home there's Frank's Nova sitting in front of my house. My first thought was "Oh shit, is he going to be pissed at me bailing on him." I park in the driveway and walk over to the Nova. Frank pops the passenger side door and says "Lets grab some coffee." He tells me that the cop pulled him over at 105 mph in a 45 zone. Told him that if he could have caught both of us he was going to write us for drag racing and impound both of the cars. Told him that, since the other guy got away, he'd only write him up for 65 in a 45. Laughed his ass off at how stupid we both were for not seeing him sitting there behind us.

Same house, different car (earlier in my street racing career). I had a 1955 Buick Century coupe that was built by the previous owner for drag racing (don't ask me why, but since the guy was my cousin through marriage, he gave me a great deal on the car). Now this Buick was very distinctive. It had 16 coats of white lacquor, was bull nosed front and rear, slicked on the sides to include removing the Buick mouse holes and door handles, was lowered slightly and had deep punched reversed chrome rims. Just to make sure the car was totally distinctive, it had a black primer patch on the left front fender about 15" long and 12" tall. This sucker was bored and stroked out to 352 ci, had Jahns domed pistons that provided an 11.5 to 1 CR, a monster AFB 4V carb, a monster cam and solid lifters, a Sheaffer aluminum flywheel, a GMC truck 11" clutch in front of a Buick 3 speed manual transmission and 4.55 gears in the back. Topping everything off were two of the noisiest glass packs you ever heard. I was driving home to my dad's house in the middle of the afternoon (I was a freshman in college at the time) and I pass a cop going the other way. I am making a lot of noise and going way too fast and the cop looks right at me as we pass. My dad and I lived on a frontage road to a 4 lane boulevard. Our house was in the middle of a block that faced the boulevard and the streets at each end of the block connected to another one block long parallel street behind us. The four streets made up a closed loop. I turned right into the street that was past my dad's house and saw the cop pulling a U turn on the 4 lane. I went to the street behind our street and headed back the other way. The cop, for reasons I will never understand, must have followed me and turned down the same street. If he'd turned down the first street, he would have caught me coming the other way. Anyway, I circled the block, pulled into pop's driveway and hauled butt into the house. The cop must have come around and spotted my Buick sitting in the driveway. I'm peeking out the kitchen curtains as he does about 1 mph past our house. He even stops in the middle of the frontage street and just eyeballs the car and the house. He finally takes off. I hid out for a couple of hours in the house for fear he was waiting for me down the street. I called one of my buddies to drive past the house and look for the cop and then come over and tell me if he was out there. Scary stuff for 18 year olds back in the early 60s.
    Last edited by RagTop; 02-27-2007 at 04:48 PM.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information