Thread: Please help...

Please help...

I have a 1996 Trans Am and I just got cam/heads/headers/injectors installed with a mail order tune from PCMForLess... it idles ok and seems to be running, but is kinda rough and jerks when its not warm, it also smells really bad, never smelled before. I have all emissions equip and cats installed.

http://68.38.5.182/t1idle.txt

Above is a short sample i recorded from my obd2 scanner, but i dont know anything about the o2's to know what that data really means, its all over the place it seems, and the knock sensor is going apeshit.

when in closed loop (part throttle) the O2 sensor voltages are supposed to bounce all over the place--that is correct--but without knowing what the RPM's are the timing shows all negaive #'s -20, -22, -28,-21,-17 etc.that is not right---and like you say--tons of knock retard--not right either---To be able to diagnose this more info is needed--rpm--map--fueltrims--cyl. grams of air--It needs to be logged on a programmer--hp tuners---EFILIVE or LS1EDIT---sounds like the idle circuit needs work too--prob the fuel trims are way rich-hence the fuelsmel and not enough timing at idle or PT--with a cam you need to set the idle up -dependimg on the cam and tranny to 700 to 1000----add timing---add desired airflow at idle--if you put in new injectors your tuner should have changed the IFR table to match your new size.it can be so many things---tgis is why a heavily modded car realy needs to be a hands on project

I told them the injector size change, but what was confusing for the mechanic is that I wasnt told to get an adjustable regulator or new pump but... i'll trust the package designer over him.

the idle is around 1000rpm actually, lopes nicely... but stays pretty constant. i'll run the scan again today, I can record just about every sensor, but the program logs it in txt form and it takes me forever to work it out to a easily readable table like i did above. i think there is a feature to make it an xml spreadsheet instead of text, i'll have to play with it dont think ive ever tried. if it comes out looking nice i'll just record everything essential.

as far as the knock count ive been told by numerous people and read online in a few places that the stocker picks up valvetrain noise and exhuast as knock when you upgrade as i have, and say i should get the lt4 modual (which i did) so i should have that here and installed in the next few days... hopefully that will fix the false knock and stop the retarding.

Heres the new data... it was far easier with XML!! I made it a jpg though because you need a specific file to open the spreadsheet correctly from the datalogging software.

http://68.38.5.182/lt1_idle_run.jpg

i had false knock after heads/cam and LT's so i just de-sensitized the sensors with my programmer(EFILIVE) and that stopped all the false knock--no need to change the ones i have

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

If your program saves the file as a text file, it probably has a bunch of commas in it, correct?
    If so, load it into Excel as a comma-delimited text file. Excel will convert it into a spreadsheet for you and then you can do a Save As to save it as an Excel spreadsheet. This would allow you to attach a file rather than a jpg, and members could then load that file into Excel and do more data analysis for you.
    Just a thought, that is what I do with my AutoTap files.

Question... what is a CKP Low Resolution Angle and Low Resolution Signal?

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

The CKP is the crankshaft position sensor. It provides a signal to the PCM through the ignition control module. The PCM uses this signal to determine RPM and crankshaft position.

Thread Information