Tang419

A4 problems in a '94 Z28

A guy I work with has a '94 Z28 with an auto trans. Someone added one of those switch on and off shift improvers so I think that might be the cause. Anyway....

When you hold it to the floor, it goes up to about 5k and just suddenly jumps to like neutral, as if you pushed in the clutch (if it had one), and will not change gears until you let off the gas. Then as you are going down the highway, unless its in 4th gear, it has no hold back at all, rpms fall back to idle. Push the gas and it jumps back up to where it left off and grabs.

Any ideas ? Just need a rebuild ?

red
    95 Z28

Well, take out the shift improver. If the problem doesnt go away, then yes, the tranny is probably gone. Sounds like that's the case regardless.

sleepermullet
    i've heard those "shift kits" are bad becasue they put too much pressure on the lines and thats how it improves and firms up the shifts. The true shift kits, like a trans go shift kit, work alot better.

Tang419
    Thanks guys, Ill tell him.

He actually found a rebuilt Trans on Ebay for around $600 I believe. Comes with a new TC and a warranty. I think he wants to go that route now.

The clutches sound like they are goin or are already gone. My 94 A4 smoked them last fall and cost me about 2600 plus the aggravation of doing my own install....

red
    1994 pontiac trans am

Quote Originally Posted by imfbk38
    The clutches sound like they are goin or are already gone. My 94 A4 smoked them last fall and cost me about 2600 plus the aggravation of doing my own install....
    my 94 ta gt came with that button it might be factory installed

LS1ROC
    I think what has gone bad is called the OVERDRIVE SPRAG. It happpens to those a4's. Not just bull shitin ..i used to own a transmission and high performance shop....I replaced the overdrive sprag on a few rebuilds. You might as well rebuild if you gotta go there anyway

Member Since Aug 2000 LS1 Eddie's Avatar
    Yep. Transmission is going to need to be rebuilt in order to shift properly. Happened to me. Anything that is electronic and helps you firm your shifts should automatically be ripped out of the car and thrown in the garbage because it's only going to land you problems in the future.
    1995 Camaro Z-28
    Black/Neutral|A4 GU5
    Modifications:
    Borla, MAC Mid's, SLP Level 1 Suspension with Prokit, SLP STB, SLP CAI, 1LE Elbow,Phillips HID, Advanced Induction 180cc Heads/224 Cam,Built 355, Yank 3200

Black/Black
    96 Vert Z28-RIP/94 TT Z28

Those electronic shift improvers don't even work, a friend of mine put 1 in his 97 Z28 and felt no difference. The only way to go is an all out internal shift kit if you really want performance.

Tang419
    Well it ended up coming completely out. It got where if you took off hard enough to spin, the whole car would shutter like it was wheel hopping, only it wasnt wheel hop. Then one day, tried it again to see if it had gotten worse, it shuttered real hard, and stopped pulling.

Now it takes reverse just fine, and will burn the tires off in reverse. Also, if you get it rolling with enough speed to shift to 2nd it will go on like nothing ever happened (thats how we got onto work that day, it was down hill). It's parked now waiting for the weather to clear enough to start work on it.

Thread Information