Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2000 Z28 vs. 05 STI

There is this stupid bunch of ricer's in town that just will not shut up. Their leader has a 05 Subaru WRX STI that is bone stock. I have a 2000 Z28 with headers, no cats, lid, 3:73's, TSP Tune, MSD wires, free mods and no EGR and AIR. I should be able to take him I would think. Has anyone raced one and how fast are they?

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

he'll get ya outta the hole cause of the awd...unless ya have some drags. either way you should go flying by him...just don't make it a short light to light race. If your Z's an auto, a TC wouldn't hurt either. But yea...shouldn't be a prob cause they have huge drivetrain loss

Moo cow f**k milk Demon_Speeding's Avatar

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

I raced one a couple months ago. It was a low speed roll. We were lined up at a light, I thought the guy was going to go on green, but he didn't. The ass clown hung back and tried to sneak attack me. A quick shift from 2nd back into 1st and we were off. It was close for a second or so, because he jumped on it before I did, and by the time I downshifted and nailed it he was already boosting. By the time I hit second I had a decent lead. I shut down just after hitting 3rd gear and had several cars on him. I've got an '01 with TB, LTs, ORY, lid, FTRA, T-stat, Hooker cat back, TSP dyno tune and Nittos...Oh yeah, and a badly slipping stock clutch.
    2001 Z28: Mods? Got em.
    2006 Silverado: Bone stock.
    2004 Impala SS:SOLD-Unsuspecting Mustangs hated me!

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i'm intrested to know this result...tell us how it goes.

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by articz28
    There is this stupid bunch of ricer's in town that just will not shut up. Their leader has a 05 Subaru WRX STI that is bone stock. I have a 2000 Z28 with headers, no cats, lid, 3:73's, TSP Tune, MSD wires, free mods and no EGR and AIR. I should be able to take him I would think. Has anyone raced one and how fast are they?
    why is he a ricer? becasue he drives a sti? if he KNOWS how to drive the car...he'll take you out of the hole and you'll have to catch up...if you race for more than a q/m you'll catch up and win..less than a q/m will be a drivers race. If he doesn' know how to launch....you'll kill him ahnds down.

Arctic White
    2000 TransAm

I haven't had a clean race with one yet, but did have one behind me at a light revvin at me......so the goes green and I holeshot the bitch........when he clears the car next to me, he jumps over in the right lane......he starts to pull me a little, caus I couldn't see him in my mirrors, but he never did pull up next to me. I guess I got up to 100 in 4th and he was prolly 1-2 cars behind, when I called it quits. It might have been closer if it was side by side from a dig, but I still woulda got him by the end of 2nd gear.

are you an auto or m6? as they said above, if he's a decent driver and your racing from the dig, he'll get you outa the hole. if your going from a roll i would think you'd get him.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Take him to the track and clean his clock...keep it off the street....

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

You have him all day, just not out of the hole.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Oh and like Sarge said, keep it on the track. Plus then it is easier to video tape, and see the moment where he wants to cry.

pewter
    2001 camaro ss

a friend of mine has a '05 sti with a few mods,cold air intake,4" down pipe, 4" inch all the back to the mid section.. on the freeway we slowed down to 45 and i pulled him realy bad. down low we race from a roll and i still cracked his ass.

my mods: 4.10,slp lid, green filter, slp maf,mti 85mm tb,cold air , bellows,

Thanks Guys. I am planning on going to a 1/8th mile track this weekend. If he shows I will post the results..

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
    ...if he KNOWS how to drive the car, he'll take you out of the hole and you'll have to catch up.
    Interesting. I recently swapped cams and TC's from my 454 powered Iroc (ran a best of 10.91 naturally aspirated), and set it up to run 'back' on the street. I raced a heavily modded STI from Englishtowm about two weeks ago (running low 11's).

Even with his AWD, and mind you, I'm now running a much milder cam (still has good lift though), a TCI "Saturday Night Special" converter that I had lying around, and with me running on street tires... I still destroyed him in the 60ft. Yeah, he beat me in the 1/4 though, but not by much.

But I agree though, had I raced him in my stock 98 LS1, he would of devoured me... but this is nothing that a decent TC, and a set of ladder bars can't fix.

crazyjay
    you should smoke him, a friend of mine on this board has samshed them, even before the cam and gears. good tires and a good driver and hes done. i cant stand thoes rices burnners with turbos.

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by articz28
    what's "free mods"?

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

I raced one with my 01 z28 m6, except he had exhaust, intake and an aftermarket blowoff valve. Once he shifted into second and I could hold first longer I powerd right past him..

so you should walk away pretty easy...

Tang419
    what's "free mods"?
    Free Ram Air, Removing skip shift, by passing the hot water that goes through the TB etc etc

Yea, I used to have a '98 Z28 M6

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The only time I faced off with one was totally unintentional-the light went green with traffic in front of us-he hung back and there was a gap opening up in front of him.I was in second gear and ready to accelerate around in front of him.His front bumper was about even with my rear wheel when suddenly he jumps on it-I catch sight of this out of the corner of my eye and being in a playful mood I blipped the throttle on down.He came by me having had the early jump but when I jumped on it the front of my car jumped up in a display of awesome LS1 torque that impressed the hell out of the hot chick in the passenger seat.Her mouth dropped as she stared at my front wheel-she was waiting for the wheelie I guess.I caught the torque curve of my motor just right in second gear and jumped like a scalded cat.Looked like it would have been a close race acceleration wise.A little later on he let me go around him-get in front-an obvious sign of mutual respect.My car is basically stock w/air lid and free mods-6 speed.

Red
    2001, Z28

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
    why is he a ricer? becasue he drives a sti? if he KNOWS how to drive the car...he'll take you out of the hole and you'll have to catch up...if you race for more than a q/m you'll catch up and win..less than a q/m will be a drivers race. If he doesn' know how to launch....you'll kill him ahnds down.
    It is a rice rocket, let us examine this term/phrase that has become popular in muscle car scene.

The word rice comes from the Japanese people because they eat extensive amounts of rice. Rocket is sarcastic term placed with rice to describe its “rocket speed.”

As a result, sport cars/high performance vehicles from Japanese manufactures are considered Rice Rockets.

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro SS

[QUOTE=Tang419]Free Ram Air, Removing skip shift, by passing the hot water that goes through the TB etc etc[\QUOTE]

Is there a website that I can go to that tell me all the "free mods" and how to do them?

I esp want to do the skip shift one 'cause that's a bitch sometimes... I think the light should come on, but it shouldn't FORCE you to shift into 4th unless you want to... But that's just me... and possibly a few other people...

Thread Information