ghetto6dude

Angry My Tranny Is Slippin

my tranny is slippin around 70 mph pretty consistanly. if i floor it it slips revs jump andthen it pops into gear and goes. what could it be , how much might it be to fix , or should i try to get a deal on a 4l65 or a street evil. any advice would be helpfull

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by ghetto6dude
    my tranny is slippin around 70 mph pretty consistanly. if i floor it it slips revs jump andthen it pops into gear and goes. what could it be , how much might it be to fix , or should i try to get a deal on a 4l65 or a street evil. any advice would be helpfull

i just had my trans rebuilt 3 weeks ago and it cost $1700 plus $500 in shift kit and hardned internals, it was well wroth it

zrater
    how many miles on it , my 02 z got 105,000 been somewhat beat on seems to
    be pretty strong, watch out for rear end problems.

Spartan_Angel
    I had the exact same problem with my Camaro SS. Whats happening is your 2-4 clutch band is wearing out. I ran with the slipping problem for about 6 months or so until one day I didn't have 3rd gear and above anymore, it would just rev up like it was in neutral instead of shifting into 3rd, and you can't get it to skip 3rd. So, effectively, you are limited to 1st and 2nd gear.

Now, the solutions...tranny rebuild or replacement, as simple as that. As for the cost, expect $1500-$2000+ for a rebuild depending on where you go and whether or not you put strengthened parts in there, etc. I would recommend AT LEAST putting in a stronger 2-4 clutch band since you're already worn this one out, and also because it seems to be a common way these transmissions die. Its up to you though, but no matter what you have an expensive repair coming up.

I went to Playboy Mansion FantaZGuy28's Avatar

YJ
    04 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by zrater
    how many miles on it , my 02 z got 105,000 been somewhat beat on seems to
    be pretty strong, watch out for rear end problems.

HOLY CRAP, thats a lot of miles for a 02, are you the original owner?

tommyz06
    I just had my 4L65E rebuilt for $2,084 and that included have a tranny cooler put on.

torrid red/red interior
    2005 GTO 6spd

My 2-4 clutch band is wearing out at 102,000 miles on it when going down the interstate if i put it to the floor it just bumps rev limiter instead of going back to 3rd--my tranny shop reebuilds the 4l60e for only $350 dollars i have to pull it out though and put it back in---same guy did my tranny in my 94 lt1 and he was only charging $300 then and i ran nitrous and everything and it never tore up so i am going with him now that i need another one done but since my ls1 makes more power and i am running bigger shot with my zex kit i am going to give him the $350 plus the alto 8 clutch pack and a few other goodies---he throws in the kevlar band for me

Ws6ramair
    My Tranny is also going, I looked into electronics which were supposed to help with worn bands. Don't go with those. A rebuild is your best option. $1500 to $2,000.

torrid red/red interior
    2005 GTO 6spd

i can get mine rebuilt for only $350 here in a county with usually the highest unemplyment rate in the sate of tn. (70 miles s.w. of nashville)People are hurting here and a little money goes a long way i still get breakfast for $3.29 that includes bottomless coffee, 2 eggs, biscuits or toast, bacon or sausage. I'll have to pay extra $80.00 for another torque converter but i'd rather buy my own and if i need stronger stuff then the o.e.m. kit like the 8 clutch pack from alto/red eagle i have to buy that stuff myself

P.s. For a picture of my car with new 20's click on my name and view my public profile---cya
    Last edited by camaronx; 10-12-2005 at 03:16 PM.
    2005 Torrid red 1 of 322 GTO 6spd magnaflow catback Zex wet nitrous system with nx filter,dual red rapi fire purge thru grills and rf 10" subs and 1486 watt rf amp. Not done, bmn ws fpss. , nos opener,harrop cover drag bags,bmr loop,mt et's on 15" bottlecaps.www.msnusers.com/ricksgto

Thread Information