black
    99 trans am

whats goin on?!!?

alright, i got a 99 trans am that i unbolted the cats last week in order to make my own true duals, i only ran it once on straight headers,(stock manifolds), and only went bout ten miles, then started it up a couple of times to move it around the shop. a couple of days ago i finished puting together my true duals, bolted the cats back up, put the o2's back in and now the service engine soon light is on. I assumed it was because the computer was gettin used to o2's again and wasnt reading right. ive drivin it about 100 miles since then and the light is still on and sometimes turns off for a few miles and comes on again, but now here is the problem. while drivin, all my electical power will randomly turn off, and my gauges will go crazy. so wtf is up?!?!

red
    2002 ws6 trans am

sorry no help here just a comment..
    since i put lt's on my 02 t/a it's been a nightmare..i think gm put gremlins
    in some of our cars just to make things fun..???

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Lol gremlins huh.
    What codes are you throwing? Did you keep the stock cats? Are your battery terminals tight? Did any wiring come in contact with the header causing them too melt?
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

black
    99 trans am

not sure of the codes yet, gonna check soon. battery terminals are all good, and im pretty dam sure no wires are melted. i just unplugged the o2's from the harnes and left the actual sensor on the pipe. and ya i still got the stock cats. the light turned off again while drivin around tonight. hopefully it will stay that way. who knows

I went to Playboy Mansion FantaZGuy28's Avatar

YJ
    04 GTO M6

Your cats unbolted? I know the driver side cat unbolts...but the passenger one should be welded on. when you ran it w/o the cats the computer picked it up and will not reset on itself. Just get the code deleted and you should have nothing to worry about.

black
    99 trans am

sry, ment unbolted it from the manifold flange. so just delete the code and no more problems? my car is also gettin crappy gas milage and is running rich, would deleting the code also solve that problem?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

first off, go get the codes read. That'll help alot. Secondly, explain how you have your O2's hooked up. Which O2's do you have unhooked? The rears will definitely set a code if unhooked but the fronts control fueling in closed loop so you have to keep those hooked up.

black
    99 trans am

ok i got the codes read. low volts bank 1 sensor two, no activity bank 2 sensor 1. my plan is to get a couple of new o2's, but i got one question, on the ls1 is bank 1 on drivers side? and sensor 1 is before the cat, correct?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm still not exactly clear on what exactly you done with the cats. It sounds like you just unbolted the cats and ran straight headers right? If that's the case then your #2 sensors will set a light. I think your main problem is that bank2 sensor1 code. That's your passenger side front O2. Yes, you're correct bank1 is the drivers side and bank 2 is the passenger. Senor 1 is the front O2 and sensor 2 is the rear.
    I don't remember where the stock locations are for the front O2's. Is it unbolted in front of that passenger side front O2? I forget where at in the stream that front O2 is.

black
    99 trans am

i unbolted my exhaust from the headers, put the xpipe on and bolted it back up, cats are still stock and in stock location along with the o2's, none of that has changed. drivers side o2 is on the actual exhaust manifold, passenger side is just after the flange. so should i just replace the sensors that are causing problems?

Black
    99 Z28

It may not be your headers at all. Maybe some other wires were damaged during the install. Did you check your fuze box? See if any are blown. If you have crossed wires that would cause shorting.

Thread Information