Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

I think I put my 62.7i's in a little over 3 years ago, then the back sailpanel ones later on. Zero issues with them since installing. One thing that made a huge difference, was when I went from a older model kenwood hu, to a newer one with more adjustments within the lows, mids and highs. By playing with the settings the highs sound excellent now and makes everything sound like it goes together. I'm happier now than when I first put them in and normally I am the type that after a period of time I want something different. I haven't looked at the new models of infinity speakers, but sucks to hear the 62.7i is no longer made. So far, I have installed the 62.7i's in 4 friends cars and all of them have been happy with the sound. One thing to know for those installing them in the sailpanel, make sure you seal up the open cutout with something, it is very important if you want some kick from the mids and use some sound deadening in the open area behind the speaker, it is basically open air if you dont do this, so for best sound you need to cover up some of the holes and seal it back there. It is cheap and as easy as peel and stick. I used e dead, but any will work.

red
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

One of my sail panel speakers blew out on my 2001 Trans Am with the Monsoon system. I've been doing research to find aftermarket replacements but the more I look the more confused I get. I found some 6.5 Kicker woofers with single voice coil. Now,can I use these and if so how would I plug in the 4 wires from the old speaker harness to the 2 wires on the new speaker?

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Any thoughts on Infinty 6032si as replacements? They are 2 ohm for both the tweeter and the woofer - I assume the woofer would be IK, but what about the tweeter - 2 ohm versus 4 ohm? Can I use these in the sail panel also?

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

OK, finished installing infinity 6032si. I separated the tweeter and woofer input and while it sounds much better than the broken speaker, the lows are really flat and in fact sound fairly strange. The highs are excellent but I would not recommend these as door replacements, they just don't have enough bass - and I don't play the music very loud.

Black
    2000 Chevy Camaro RS

Quote Originally Posted by philruff View Post
    All I can say is that we listened to the speaker using both sets of feeds from the amp and 1 sounded really bad, the other was ok, but muffled. Doing the surgery on the short leads and soldering made a HUGE difference in the clarify and fullness of the sound.

If I did it again, though, I would have busted into the crossover box on the speaker and soldered directly to where the speaker wire is attached to the box, and cut the traces going through the crossover. This would have eliminated the need to solder in the tight space.

So far so good...
    I just got the 62.9i and opened the crossover box. White wire is Tweeter+ and Red Wire is Woofer+.

There is just one black wire which I'm assuming is the negative for both speakers.

Would I be correct to hook up both the negative leads from the Monsoon system for the tweeters and the horn to the black and then the positive leads to the separate white wire for the tweeter and red wire for the woofer?

Black
    2000 Chevy Camaro RS

Quote Originally Posted by rideus74 View Post
    I just got the 62.9i and opened the crossover box. White wire is Tweeter+ and Red Wire is Woofer+.

There is just one black wire which I'm assuming is the negative for both speakers.

Would I be correct to hook up both the negative leads from the Monsoon system for the tweeters and the horn to the black and then the positive leads to the separate white wire for the tweeter and red wire for the woofer?
    I tested the above and it works like a charm. 62.9i's fit the existing bracket and all just fine. Nice smooth sound......

Black
    2000 Chevy Camaro RS

I tested the above and it works like a charm. 62.9i's fit the existing bracket and all just fine. Nice smooth sound......
    Update - the mids seem to "crack/distort" pretty quick on the 62.9. Maybe with an EQ it would help some as it seems to be certain songs or frequencies that cause them to distort quickly. Seems installing bass blockers are the only option. Did the old versions have this problem? I double-checked the wiring and all is good.

Black
    2000 Chevy Camaro RS

Update - the mids seem to "crack/distort" pretty quick on the 62.9. Maybe with an EQ it would help some as it seems to be certain songs or frequencies that cause them to distort quickly. Seems installing bass blockers are the only option. Did the old versions have this problem? I double-checked the wiring and all is good.
    Well, I installed bass blockers and it helped some but the main issue is still these speakers distort pretty easily. If I want to increase the bass to get more from my sailpanel subs, the fronts can't handle much at all. The tweets even lose quite a bit of their clarity. Overall, just not impressed, especially with all the work that went into it. They're acceptable and that's about all I can say.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Found this on the web....

Camaro time bomb
    Written by Brian on February 9, 2009 – 7:42 am -

My wife’s Camaro just went into self-destruct mode. It seems like all at once, everything broke. The thing is 8 years old but it has low miles, and we take good care of it. The windshield cracked, the brakes warped, the differential’s making noise, the speakers blew, and the battery gave up the ghost.

The most challenging repair was the speakers. She has the premium Monsoon sound system, and it has some crazy components. The front 6½” speakers have separate inputs for the woofer and tweeter, with the crossover in the head unit. My first thought was to simply frankenstein together some aftermarket speakers by bypassing the crossover in the speaker, but I was horribly wrong. It turns out that they used 2Ω woofers and 4Ω tweeters! Most aftermarket speakers have 4Ω voice coils, which would mean crappy bass response. I looked up the price of the factory replacement speakers, and they were $90 EACH!

A quick internet search found that many people had suffered this situation and found a solution with Infinity’s Kappa speakers, which have 2Ω voice coils. I picked up a pair of 60.9cs component speakers, and wired ‘em up. The main dilemma came when I read a little on impedence matching. It turns out that most amps can easily drive speakers with higher impedence than rated, but using a lower impedence speaker can damage your amp. I was worried that the 2Ω tweeters would cause problems. The increased power would also mean overwhelming highs. You could solve this by going to your local RadioShack and wiring a couple 1Ω – 10 watt resistors in series with the tweeter, but I chose to just hook up the included crossover to the tweeter and use the -6dB button to reduce the output (RadioShack was out of the resistors I needed).

The Kappas sound awesome, and they’re loud enough to drown out the horrible noise coming from the rear end! Let’s just hope nothing else breaks!

2002 Camaro

Pictures gone?

Quote Originally Posted by rotwiler View Post
    This is for the Camaro(98-02), others years and models may not be the same, so only going with what I know. This is in the hardtop and t top cars with the Monsoon setup.
    thought I would do a quick writeup with pictures for those wanting to upgrade the door speakers. Reason I didn't name any other brands is I don't know of any that are 2ohm.

Click for full size
    62.7i and stock speaker side by side(notice the dual connectors on both)
    Click for full size
    Top view
    Click for full size
    Shows holes line up
    Click for full size
    Stock speaker in door.
    Click for full size
    Stock speaker removed, notice the 2 sets of wires(tweeter/woofer), when removed you may want to mark which one goes to the tweeter and woofer for ease of connecting later.
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    I used a piece of tape to mark the tweeter wires(easy to mix up since they look alike)
    Click for full size
    I cut a couple inches of wires off the crossover Infinity supplies with the 62.7i, and spliced the wires into the the factory wires. Don't use the crossover infinity supplies, everything is crossover already. they supply this for cars that don't need a dual input. Plus, the 62.7i has a crossover in the tweeter and the monsoon amp is crossed over for the woofer.
    Click for full size
    Tweak the tweeter to adjust for best sound(is adjustable to point where you want the sound to go and can turn it for more db's of highs, I turned mine alll the way up and had the tweeter point as close I could get it to the shifter).
    Did the picture location change? I can't see the pictures.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Hmmm, I didn't change the pictures, I will try to retrieve them if the site still has them available. I see them on cardomain where I have been using to see them here. Now I have to figure out how to post them again lol.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 02-16-2010 at 05:07 PM.

White Liquid Silver
    2000 Camaro SS/ 02 YZF-R1

pics would be greatly appreciated...my door speaker just stopped working too

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28

Post This is how you install the 62.9i

Afer going nuts and reading up on the stuff on this board, I attempted the install of the Infinity 62.9is in my 2002 Camaro Z28.

1. Just take a wire cutter and cut the off crossover box at the end, and let it fall into the trash can. Now once you strip away at the end you'll see 3 wires, a RED, WHITE, and BLACK. The red one is the positive wire for the Midrange speaker, the white one is the positive wire for the Tweeter speaker, and the black one is the common negative wire for both speakers. (Connect BOTH negatives to this one).

2. You must soder the wires (soo easy) to the red/black wires that were connected to the stock speaker. Make sure you connect them to the right wires or it will not sound the best and you can do damage. (You know which wires are the right ones by looking at the Monsoon wiring diagram in the sticky).

3. It's easier to connect and soder the wires on your kitchen table instead of knealing next to your car door, so make sure you unscrew the larger "plastic ring" around your door speaker, so you can just unclip the wiring harness and bring the whole piece inside.

And there that's it. 62.9i instead of 62.7i problem SOLVED.

**The only thing is I think these speakers are not worth the price and o yeah, one of them is f****n BLOWN right out of the box but there's nothing I can do about it because I can't return them because I modified them. WTF!!!! (by the way this is my seccond crappy experience with sonic electronix they SUCK).

My advise is that if you really want better sound, don't waste your time and money and just go with a fresh aftermarket system.

Black
    2001 Camaro - A4

Quote Originally Posted by mpunklil View Post
    just go to bestbuy, simple and cheap
    I guess since 2007, Best Buy has exponentially increased their prices?

They charge $70 per pair of speakers, $200 for amp installation, $100 for using their wires (required), and "highly" recommend you pay $150 for a new head unit from them.

White
    2001 camaro SS

This a a huge help since my front left is blown and im looking to replace the fronts. But are there speakers for the back seats to and hatch that all work with the factory amp? my right back seat speaker is also blown.
    2001 Camaro SS, LM 1, BMR LCA, relocation brackets, BMR springs, adj panhard bar, smooth below, lid, sub-frame connectors weld on, strut brace
    2000 WS6, ls6 intake, sub-frame connectors, slp maf, slp cat delete with slp y-pipe, electric cutout, strut brace, smooth below, slp lid, bmr LCA and RLB

red
    1999 camaro z28

I own a 1999 camaro and I want to replace the front door speakers. Now that the Infinity 62.7i speakers are discontinued, what do you think about replacing the blown bass speaker with a new woofer and using the good stock tweeter mounted to the face of the woofer? I was looking at the Kicker DS6.2 component speaker system, which has 4 ohms and less than 2 inch top mount depth. Would this woofer have the correct ohms for the Monsoon system? Since the stock speaker has the tweeter wires running thru the woofer cone, could I run the wires around the side of the woofer to the front to connect to the stock tweeter? The stock woofer speaker always blows, but the stock tweeter sounds fine still. Has anyone tried this application?

None

The 62.9i's that I installed according to the wire cutting directions above, distort at relatively low volumes. I'm not terribly impressed at all. Does everyone's do that?

Thanks

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Anyone tried the Infinity Kappa 652.9i?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information