Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Black
    2002 Z28

Just installed the 62.7s today. It was a breeze thanks to the detailed instructions. Door speakers were blown when I bought the car and now the factory system rocks. Thanks again.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28

Question

Opinions???

"Infinity Kappa 63.7i speakers add dedicated midrange drivers to give your music's vocals more warmth and texture."

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...=108637I&tp=95

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    nicely done...now, how do you get the door panel off?
    would you like me to do a write up on it? I could. also I could do one on getting alpines into it. just not worth the time. takes 5 mins to figure out. lol

Red
    2002 35th LE

Infinity 62.7i in a 02 Convertible

Purchased 4 Infinity 62.7i speakers to install in my 02 Convertible. I cut off the wires at the terminals then stripped about 3/16" of covering off the wires then resodered them onto the new speakers Red wires are positive (the top connector is the tweeter and the bottom is woofer connection). Very easy and no chance of a loose connection. If you have a sodering gun this is the best way to install the speakers. I purchased a $10 sodering gun kit from Harbor Freight.

Also, When installing the speakers turning the tweeter will increase the sound by 3db. I turned the tweeters up to max and positioned the speaker in the doors so the tweeters were pointing back toward the seat for clearer highs.

In the back I had a restriction in speaker depth due to the convertible top mechanism. The stock rear speaker depth is 1 1/4" but the depth to interfearance with the mechanism was 2" DS and 1 7/8" PS. The Infinity 62.7i speakers have 2 3/16" depth and came with a 1/4" spacer so I used one on the DS and two on the PS to allow clearance for the mechanism. Had to use the longer screws that came with the Infinity speakers since the washer on the stock screws interfears with installing on Infinity speakers but the installation was very easy. GM made the interior trim with enough clearance to allow for the speakers and spacers. Again I cut off the wires at the speaker terminals then stripped about 3/16" of covering off the wires then resodered them onto the Infinity speakers. You will have to cut off the tabs on the spacers as they interfear with the wiring loom. After installing the speakers everything works better than stock. When installing the rear speakers move the wiring below the speaker magnet so it does not touch the top. Small modification: I had to cut two of the screws short as they came in contact with the convertible top. The screws were the two top most screws. Put the top down and look for the speaker screws extending out and touching the convertable top. You maybe able to find shorter screws at the hardware store.
    Last edited by A35TH-SS; 05-29-2008 at 03:10 AM.

garnet red
    1969 camaro L-78 RS

on the stock wiring the black is neg and the red is pos right?

Silver
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by rotwiler View Post
    This is for the Camaro(98-02), others years and models may not be the same, so only going with what I know. This is in the hardtop and t top cars with the Monsoon setup.
    thought I would do a quick writeup with pictures for those wanting to upgrade the door speakers. Reason I didn't name any other brands is I don't know of any that are 2ohm.

Click for full size
    62.7i and stock speaker side by side(notice the dual connectors on both)
    Click for full size
    Top view
    Click for full size
    Shows holes line up
    Click for full size
    Stock speaker in door.
    Click for full size
    Stock speaker removed, notice the 2 sets of wires(tweeter/woofer), when removed you may want to mark which one goes to the tweeter and woofer for ease of connecting later.
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    I used a piece of tape to mark the tweeter wires(easy to mix up since they look alike)
    Click for full size
    I cut a couple inches of wires off the crossover Infinity supplies with the 62.7i, and spliced the wires into the the factory wires. Don't use the crossover infinity supplies, everything is crossover already. they supply this for cars that don't need a dual input. Plus, the 62.7i has a crossover in the tweeter and the monsoon amp is crossed over for the woofer.
    Click for full size
    Tweak the tweeter to adjust for best sound(is adjustable to point where you want the sound to go and can turn it for more db's of highs, I turned mine alll the way up and had the tweeter point as close I could get it to the shifter).

Where did the pictures go?

Impounded

Silver
    02 Camaro Z28

Yeah, I need to do the speaker mod soon. Chants <where are the photos!>

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28

Question

Just went to Crutchfield to order two sets of these Infinity speakers (front door, rear seat), BUT they claim they will not fit!! WTF?!?!

Do I just ignore this and place the order? Or have they recently changed the product??

Any thoughts?

-John

EDIT Nevermind...

Quote Originally Posted by rotwiler View Post
    Reason Crutchfields says this, is that if you use the crossover supplied with the 62.7i's then you go back to a single input, since they are made to be a single input type setup. Unless you just use the crossover for the lows and wire the tweeters seperate which some people do(I didn't use the crossover). Since our Camaro's have a crossover built into the monsoon amp everything is all good. The tweeter on the 62.7i has a seperate crossover built in. No matter what they say, these are the best direct replacement speaker made for the Camaro.
    Last edited by 02SOMZ; 07-15-2008 at 05:00 AM.

Red
    1999 SS Camaro #2486

I just installed mine this past weekend-thanks to everyone who posted in this thread!!

Sounds great, easy install. I did desolder the factory harness and resoldered to the Infinity's. Dont listen to Crutchfield, just order them.

Black
    2001 Ram Air

great info, how did you wire the speaker that way. sounds like you used the infinity crossover connected to just the mid wire and left the factory tweeter wire on the factory tweeter....i need more highs. For a sub woofer I found a 6" DVC 2 ohm replacement woofer at main Street Audio and put that in the sail panel, used dynamat there and on door panels a got a very good surrounding base sound
    2001 Black Ram Air
    18x9.5 Chrome ZO6 Motorsport rims
    Vinci High Performance (Crane)Valvetrain-
    1.8 rockers,springs, pushrods, guide plates.
    Cam, double row timing chain, oil pump
    SFC's,LCA's,STB,LCARB's

Black
    2001 Ram Air

taking off the door panels is not as hard as you would think. I just put dynamat on both doors and what a huge difference more bass no rattle

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Are the pictures working? They show up on my computer fine......if not I can redo the links to them?

Junior Member 2001SSCamaro#2516's Avatar

Black
    2001 SS Camaro

Crutchfields Sale

These speakers are now on sale at crutchfields for 59.99. Gonna buy another set and replace the ones I bought before from someone else that still don't work right.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

My driver's side door speaker blew yesterday. I was doing some research for replacements and found this thread. I ordered a pair of the Infinity Kappa 62.7i speakers from crutchfield.com today!

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

I got my 62.7i speakers today and got out my volt meter to measure the resistance. The woofer measured about 2.5 ohm and the tweeter approximately 3.2 ohm at the +3 db setting and 6.5 ohm at the 0 db setting.

I will get a reading from the factory speakers when I take them out tonight.
    Last edited by topfueluhl; 12-17-2008 at 07:55 AM.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro

advice on how to make 62.9i work

Mostly based on this thread, I decided to by the Infinity speakers for my daughter for her birthday...the speakers in our 2000 camaro with monsoon stereo were blown.

I could not find 62.7 anywhere, so I bought the 62.9i
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ppa+62.9I.html

However, this speaker has an external crossover. IOW, only 1 pair of inputs. Sounded muffled when I hooked up the woofer feed to the crossover...tweeter feed was crap also.

So, my son and I did major surgery on the 62.9 and luckily it all worked out. Here is what we did. Sorry, no pictures.

There are probably easier ways, but we cut off the crossover wire and bracket. Then we cut the woofer and tweeter wires, trying to ensure the remaining wire was as long as possible. We had to solder an extension on the woofer cable, which was a major pain because it is very tight space.

Anyhow, then we connected the woofer and tweeter feeds from the monsoon directly to the speaker and it sounded great.

If we did it again, I would have figured out the wiring scheme of the crossover cable, cut out the crossover box itself, and spliced into that cable.

Phil

red
    2002 camaro

I also got the 62.9i, they fit perfect, but instead of doing really tight splicing and screwing with the speaker, I just stripped the end of the mid range speaker wires and plugged them in to the crossover attached to the infinity speaker (since supposedly this midrange line shouldn't have any crossover yet, so it should carry frequencies for the tweeter - i read this in a forum elsewhere). turned it on and it sounded fine to me, good as new. wrapped it up and i'll save the other speaker for when my driver side blows.
    hopefully i'm not losing anything (which it doesn't sound like i am) by basically ignoring the tweeter wires (i just moved them to the side and left them be).

White
    1998 Trans Am

I had pulled all my spekers and replaced them with GM units but now this has me thinking it;s time to redo the stereo now that the head unit is crapping out. I like the infinity's and found a few sites that had them so I ordered a couple. Got a Pioneer Premier 860MP w/ sirius that's been sitting in a box since I stripped and sold one of my cars. Think I'll use than and get a single 10" driver side box. and buy another 5ch Memphis Bell amp like the one in my truck and i should be good. Will put up install pics when done.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

SOM
    '01SS Camaro,'09 Z06

Thumbs up

Just installed a pair of 62.9i's I had ordered 62.7i but they sent 62.9i's so I abandoned the tweeter wires and used the installed crossovers with the mid range wires. I might have noticed a difference if I hadn't been in loud cars and machine rooms for most of my adult life but they worked well, no more rattle, thanks for the tread it really made the job easier

Pewter
    2000 Camaro

All I can say is that we listened to the speaker using both sets of feeds from the amp and 1 sounded really bad, the other was ok, but muffled. Doing the surgery on the short leads and soldering made a HUGE difference in the clarify and fullness of the sound.

If I did it again, though, I would have busted into the crossover box on the speaker and soldered directly to where the speaker wire is attached to the box, and cut the traces going through the crossover. This would have eliminated the need to solder in the tight space.

So far so good...

Quote Originally Posted by nafetsnafets View Post
    I also got the 62.9i, they fit perfect, but instead of doing really tight splicing and screwing with the speaker, I just stripped the end of the mid range speaker wires and plugged them in to the crossover attached to the infinity speaker (since supposedly this midrange line shouldn't have any crossover yet, so it should carry frequencies for the tweeter - i read this in a forum elsewhere). turned it on and it sounded fine to me, good as new. wrapped it up and i'll save the other speaker for when my driver side blows.
    hopefully i'm not losing anything (which it doesn't sound like i am) by basically ignoring the tweeter wires (i just moved them to the side and left them be).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information