Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by rotwiler View Post
    Flatten out the EQ on your hu and point the tweeters almost pointing at each other, helps with the brightness of them. Also, don't turn the db's of highs up on the tweeter, leave it all the way down. It took some playing with to get it just right.
    I'm using the stock Monsoon/Delco HU so my EQ ability is limited to treble, bass, and those great presets. I positioned the tweeters with the most protruding edge at the top on both speakers. I tuned the DB+ on because when they were off I noticed a washed out sound from guitar highs. I listen to a lot of rock/metal so I must have my guitar. I plan to turn the DB+ off when I install the Infinity 4'' ref speakers in the hatch and turn their DB+ on. Then when I add the Eu-700s it should balance out nicely. At least thats what I'm hoping.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Just had infinity kappa 62.7i installed in front door panels,left and right side, since the right side blow out last week, very impressive loudspeakers
    parts+installation $175, back on the road again with extra sound power!

RED
    2000 TRANS AM

I think 1 or 2 of my speakers in my 2000 TA are blown do you know if the are covered under any kind of warranty?

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Factory tweeters have 4 ohm impedances, these are of 2 ohm impedances -- has anyone ever had any problems blowing them/damaging factory amp/etc?
    Last edited by fredmr85; 03-21-2007 at 12:34 AM.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

I have had them in for almost 15 months and I listen to the the stereo at almost max all the time. Never had a single issue... I did read somewhere that they are not exactly 2ohm, more in the 3ohm area(but I can't confirm this), but also tweeters really do not put a big load on the amp, so heat shouldn't be a issue. I know 2 other people that have these speakers and they have been happy with them for 9+ months now without a issue.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by rotwiler View Post
    I have had them in for almost 15 months and I listen to the the stereo at almost max all the time. Never had a single issue... I did read somewhere that they are not exactly 2ohm, more in the 3ohm area(but I can't confirm this), but also tweeters really do not put a big load on the amp, so heat shouldn't be a issue. I know 2 other people that have these speakers and they have been happy with them for 9+ months now without a issue.
    Yea I figured with the power/etc. there wouldn't be much of an issue -- but only experience can answer that for sure, and from what I've heard from you and others there seems to be no issues. Thanks!

Even Bandit Is Jealous mpunklil's Avatar

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

wire a 2 ohm resister in series if you guys are really worried about it being too harsh. they cost 50 cents at radio shack. problem solved

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by mpunklil View Post
    wire a 2 ohm resister in series if you guys are really worried about it being too harsh. they cost 50 cents at radio shack. problem solved
    do NOT do this

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by fredmr85 View Post
    do NOT do this
    lol

Black
    '98 WS6 T/A Vert

Could I hook up these same speakers in the door panels of my '98 WS6 T/A Convertible? The '98 vert does NOT have a Monsoon system and I'm content with my original Delco HU.

I have no experience with automotive audio at all but I know enough that just by looking at the speaker grill I have the independent tweeter you guys attribute to the Monsoon setup but without the Monsoon amp I'm wondering if my installation would be any different.

Currently I'm experiencing the insanity inducing blown speaker rattle from my passenger side door anytime I give my tunes any kind of volume above a whisper. Most likely I'll have a pro do the install because getting the door panels off looks like a magicians trick but I don't want to be surprised by any incompatibilities.

Any help is appreciated.

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by RU-AGK View Post
    Could I hook up these same speakers in the door panels of my '98 WS6 T/A Convertible? The '98 vert does NOT have a Monsoon system and I'm content with my original Delco HU.

I have no experience with automotive audio at all but I know enough that just by looking at the speaker grill I have the independent tweeter you guys attribute to the Monsoon setup but without the Monsoon amp I'm wondering if my installation would be any different.

Currently I'm experiencing the insanity inducing blown speaker rattle from my passenger side door anytime I give my tunes any kind of volume above a whisper. Most likely I'll have a pro do the install because getting the door panels off looks like a magicians trick but I don't want to be surprised by any incompatibilities.

Any help is appreciated.
    just go to bestbuy, simple and cheap

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Any help is appreciated.
    So you have separate tweeters but no monsoon system? I'm not sure that is correct - are you sure? These speakers would not be a good choice if you do not have the Monsoon system because the Delco HU likes to see a 4 ohm impedance. You also lose whatever separates you have, obviously.

I wouldn't personally go to Best Buy -- find a friend or someone willing to help, or learn for yourself. The door is NOT tricky and there are several guides to help you through it if you search.

Black
    '98 WS6 T/A Vert

I could be wrong, and this pic is not my car, but my door panel speaker is exactly like this one: Could it be hollow behind that little grill on my car? Possible I guess, but why would Pontiac send it that way from the factory? I'm the only owner of the car and I've never had the door panel open to check.

FWIW a quick search at Crutchfield shows the Infinity 62.7i as a compatible replacement for a non-Monsoon '98 vert. I just don't want an installer to open up the door panel and tell me I'm screwed if I buy the speaker on the cheap online.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

FWIW a quick search at Crutchfield shows the Infinity 62.7i as a compatible replacement for a non-Monsoon '98 vert. I just don't want an installer to open up the door panel and tell me I'm screwed if I buy the speaker on the cheap online.
    Not worth anything - that just means the size is correct.

You sure you don't have Monsoon? I don't know the Pontiac systems and if they had separate door panels or not..

Black
    '98 WS6 T/A Vert

Dealer told me so when I was looking at the car and asking questions almost 10 years ago PLUS there is none of the typical Monsoon badge work all over the HU that usually gives away the Monsoon setup.

I really don't think it makes sense for the vert to have a Monsoon. 4 speakers total (2 door panel + 2 rear seat) none of that cool stuff you guys with hatches talk about. Remember, I have a TRUNK (big enough to hold the Delco CD Changer and a box of Tic-Tacs.)

I appreciate your input on my search for the truth though.

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

Dealer told me so when I was looking at the car and asking questions almost 10 years ago PLUS there is none of the typical Monsoon badge work all over the HU that usually gives away the Monsoon setup.

I really don't think it makes sense for the vert to have a Monsoon. 4 speakers total (2 door panel + 2 rear seat) none of that cool stuff you guys with hatches talk about. Remember, I have a TRUNK (big enough to hold the Delco CD Changer and a box of Tic-Tacs.)

I appreciate your input on my search for the truth though.
    Once again, just go to best buy. You have standard 4 ohm speakers, and they only charge you $35 bucks for labor, sometimes they even offer free install on a pair of speakers. If they fuck it up, they pay for it, and you get warranty. Im only basing this on the fact that you dont seem confident enough to take the panel off yourself, or a friend who will, because it would have already been done by now.

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

I could be wrong, and this pic is not my car, but my door panel speaker is exactly like this one: Click for full size Could it be hollow behind that little grill on my car? Possible I guess, but why would Pontiac send it that way from the factory? I'm the only owner of the car and I've never had the door panel open to check.

Its easier to leave some speakers and an amp out of the car, than make completely different door panels JUST for the cars that dont have the upgraded monsoon.

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

cancel everything i just said. i just looked at your HU, and its a monsoon. it doesnt need to be labeled as such either. The dealer probably just disconnected the stock tweets.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by mpunklil View Post
    cancel everything i just said. i just looked at your HU, and its a monsoon. it doesnt need to be labeled as such either. The dealer probably just disconnected the stock tweets.
    HUs are the same for Monsoon and base systems.

He also said he only has the 4 speakers, I believe.

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

i forgot about that, im delirious right now, 3/4's of a way through a 17 hr shift at work. uuugh

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information